It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Go Back   Cat Forums - I-Love-Cats - your Ultimate Cat Forum > All About Cats > Cat Advice
Register

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-14-2006   #1 (permalink)
Administrator
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Breezy
admin has disabled reputation
Send a message via twitter to admin
Default I have two cats I’ve had since kittens who will turn seventeen soon. I'm fairly...

First of all, you’ve done a whole lot RIGHT if your two cats have reached this age with only minor health issues. Bravo to you! You aren’t alone in missing the issue of dental health. Actually, nearly 80 percent of all cats will have some degree of dental problems by age four, but cats hide discomfort so well their owners often miss this.
You’re right to be concerned about their age and medical procedures. In the past, though, this was more an issue than it is today. Modern veterinary medicine has a range of anesthetic agents available, many of which are specifically designed with safety in mind for aged felines. Your veterinarian likely will want to run blood tests in advance, to help determine the best and safest protocols for the dental procedure. Blood screening in advance can alert the doctor to any issues such as heart or other irregularities that require extra precautions. Just be very clear with the veterinarian in advance about your concerns, and ask him/her to explain exactly what’s involved. Having clean teeth should help your cats feel even more youthful and actually can prolong their lives!

More...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content

Tags
age , cats , clean , health , kittens , medical , missing , problems

Sponsored Cat Links