It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Go Back   Cat Forums - I-Love-Cats - your Ultimate Cat Forum > All About Cats > Cat Advice
Register

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-20-2006   #1 (permalink)
Administrator
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Breezy
admin has disabled reputation
Send a message via twitter to admin
Default I work in a fine dining restaurant as a chef and often bring home, fresh salmon, tuna

While fish can be a good ingredient in a complete and balanced pet food, fish by itself does not constitute a complete and balanced diet for a cat. A cat's nutritional health depends upon receiving the correct amounts and proportions of nutrients. As with humans, cats require protein, fat, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals and water on a daily basis to meet their nutritional needs. There is no single food source that provides all the nutrients, in the proper proportions. Usually pet food manufacturers will combine a variety of meat, poultry or fish sources with grains and other ingredients to achieve this balance.
When compared to established standards, fresh tuna for example does not contain carbohydrates, is low in some B vitamins, and doesn't provide the appropriate balance of calcium and phosphorus to meet a cat's nutritional needs. Raw fish and raw shellfish can be especially harmful for cats, as they can contain thiaminases, which may cause thiamin deficiencies in your cat. Thiaminases are normally destroyed during cooking.
When a pet food is labeled "complete and balanced", such as Purina Cat Chow brand cat food, this is assurance to you that your cat will be receiving all of the nutrients, in the proper proportions to help her maintain good health. If treats are to be fed they should be kept a minimum. Most nutritionists recommend that treats/table scraps make up no more than 10-15% of the daily caloric intake. Therefore, very small amounts of fish as a rare treat should not be a problem.

More...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 12-08-2006   #2 (permalink)
wendywenpet

Very interesting!! My female cat Egor will not eat fish. I have tried to give it to her with her normal brand of cat food.... I have tryed tuna in spring water... and even cooked ocean perch for her. She will not eat it.

She has no interest in table scraps either.

My 3 rats on the other hand just love their tuna and perch.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 12-09-2006   #3 (permalink)
wendywenpet

After reading the subject of this forum... I must add I am not an expert!! I do that quite often... put my two cents in. I only mean well!!

Tags
cat , cat food , cat's , cats , diet , female , fish , food , health , hey , home , interesting , love , oops , pet , pet food , problem , rare , raw , small , water

Sponsored Cat Links