It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Go Back   Cat Forums - I-Love-Cats - your Ultimate Cat Forum > All About Cats > Cat Advice
Register

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-15-2006   #1 (permalink)
Administrator
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Breezy
admin has disabled reputation
Send a message via twitter to admin
Default I need help; my 12 year old cat has become extremely skinny. She has been to the vet.

I'm sorry to hear that your cat is having some problems. As they get older things to tend to pop-up. I am unsure exactly what the "cat-scan" entails but I would be absolutely sure that it includes a check of your cat's thyroid levels. Hyperthyroid disease is very common in older cats. These thyroid cats tend to lose weight but still eat very well and remain hungry. If the "cat-scan" is a full blood work-up that includes a thyroid check. I would then look for possible GI disease. Conditions of the intestines like inflammatory bowel disease can cause weight loss and unfortunately this condition doesn't show up on regular lab work. From here you could consider different testing such as an x-ray of the whole body or treating for GI disease. It is important that you are proactive with this as it is not normal for an older cat to keep losing weight. Let us know if you have more questions and I hope you'll get to the bottom of it.

More...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content

Tags
bowel , cat , cat's , cats , hey , hyper , loss , problems , vet , weight

Sponsored Cat Links