It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Go Back   Cat Forums - I-Love-Cats - your Ultimate Cat Forum > All About Cats > Cat Advice
Register

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-09-2007   #1 (permalink)
Administrator
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Breezy
admin has disabled reputation
Send a message via twitter to admin
Default My 4-year-old male Siamese has been diagnosed with chylothorax and has been drained 3

I am so sorry to hear that your Siamese has been diagnosed with chylothorax. It can be a very frustrating disease. Unfortunately, treatment options for chylothorax are fairly limited. The first step is just what you did - to rule out underlying causes for the chylothorax, within what is available, such as heart disease, heartworm disease etc. Rutin also does seem to help so keep up with that and keeping the chest drained when your boy is beginning to show clinical signs is also very important. He can be drained or "tapped" many times although we would hope as we go along here, he will need it less often. The chylous fluid can be irritating and you are right that it can cause irritation and scarring; how much and how quickly we just cannot guess. As far as diet, you can only do what your cat will allow you to. We certainly don't want to starve him so do the best you can with this. Surgery in many of these cases can have a positive outcome but the rates of success are not great. Medical therapy, just as you are doing is often where we start and it sounds like you're in great hands. We wish you the best of luck with this and let us know if you have any other questions.

More...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content

Tags
boy , cat , diet , great , male , medical , siamese , surgery

Sponsored Cat Links