It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Go Back   Cat Forums - I-Love-Cats - your Ultimate Cat Forum > All About Cats > Cat Advice
Register

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-29-2007   #1 (permalink)
Administrator
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Breezy
admin has disabled reputation
Send a message via twitter to admin
Default I have heard that geckos are poisonous and that cats should not eat them. There are..

There are certain species of geckos/newts/anoles/skinks that can be toxic to cats and dogs. It is species specific and this of course depends on the area you are in. Depending on the type of critter ingested signs can be GI related with vomiting, neurologic, respiratory or systemic. It is best, of course, to try preventing your cat from coming into contact with these guys. The toxins are usually secreted through the skin so the lizard does not always need to be ingested to cause clinical signs. To know for sure what is in your area and how to identify it, I would give your local veterinarian or the extension service a call. They should know for sure how much of a risk your local "gecko" population is to your cat.

More...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-02-2007   #2 (permalink)
outdoorcat

Geez! Even if the cat had just ingested them it is still dangerous? I have also heard that they are poisonous, of course it's they're way of surviving. But at some parts of the world they were eaten so I thought it is okay for others to eat them too. I usually don't mind. I mean I won't even know if my cat had swallowed one only if it's tail is still slithering in her mouth right? I should put up more screens around the windows to prevent such occurence.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Tags
cat , cats , dogs , hey , type , vomiting

Sponsored Cat Links