It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-31-2007   #1 (permalink)
seriousquestions

Default Driving for 8 hours per day with our cat-

need advice!!!? We will be moving several states away in a few months. We are taking our cat (of course!) in the car with us, and will be driving for about 8 hours per day for four days. Will his little kitty carrier really be big enough??? I will bring his litter box so that he can use it when we are at motels at night, but I want to make sure this will be ok for him. Any advice apreciated- especially if you've had to move with your kitty before!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-01-2007   #2 (permalink)
JimmyR.com

They give cats small oral tranquilizers when getting spade. Get some of those and it will be sleepy all trip. Its safe and its fine. Much better than having it horribly frustrated in the confined area.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-02-2007   #3 (permalink)
Palori

It seems to me that the kitty carrier will be fine for him. Just make sure when you stop that he gets to stretch and potty. Do you have a leash he will wear, perhaps with a harness. There are a lot of good rest stops with pet stations. Maybe your vet has a mild tranquilizer for him?

Unread 02-02-2007   #4 (permalink)
A-Rod's Mama

My husband and I live in PA. About 4 times a year we visit his father in VA Beach. We bring our kitty A-Rod. That is a good 6 hour drive. We make sure he doesn't have food or water a few hours before the trip. Just so the trip isn't uncomfortable for him with the "calls on nature". We have a big enough crate that he can sit, stand, and turn around. We lay a nice fluffy towel in it and his faveorite toys. He meows a little at first but then settles right in. As soon as we arrive at my Father-in-law'swesettle A-Rodin first. We bring him and all his stuff in. Set it up and place A-Rod in his litter box. He eats and drinks fine and uses his litter box. I hope I calmed some of your anxiety. Good luck on your move!

Unread 02-02-2007   #5 (permalink)
Bunny411

When my family had to move to a different state I had to sell my cat. All I could think of while we were on the rode was how she was doing. So I recommend that you bring your cat with you because if you don't all you will think about is her.

Unread 02-02-2007   #6 (permalink)
James D

I've had some experience, and I think the cat carrier is actually just what your cat most needs. Many cats seek out cozy, confined spaces, so at least it will be less stressed out there. Anything you can do to make it more familiar to them (rug, toys, etc) will help.Just bear in mind that cats don't travel well to begin with. They are territorial creatures who are usually upset when put in unfamiliar surroundings. You might want to check with your vet for any help they could provide.

Unread 02-02-2007   #7 (permalink)
outdoorcat

When we had to move in to a different house before at a much farther place we have 6 cats with us. We had to travel for around 8 hours and what my mom did was the sam with A-Rod's. We didn't give them food or drink before the trip because they might get nauseated or throw up or need to pee on the road and we couldn't afford that. We also gave them mild sedatives to sleep and it was a success.

Unread 02-03-2007   #8 (permalink)
griblit

Done it. Not fun.1. Try to find a cargo net of some sort to give the kitty a way to roam without hurting you- and if he's roaming free, you will be hurt- leave no doubt.2. Talk to your vet, if necessary, ask a second vet. Get kitty sedatives. They have them, and you need them. No matter how you fear this, do it if you love your kitty- you will need these.3. It doesn't hurt your kitty to be confined, nor to drive for long hours, but his will and voice will make you think so- and there is *no* amount of yowling that will tire him beyond providing you with more. They do not tire of it after 6 days. I heard it. You must be prepared for this.4. Do NOT let him out if he can get near the driver. They always try to burrow under the seats and *under the petal area* and will scratch the *HOLY COW* out of you if you try to move them.All of this is true, and I love my kitties with whom I've moved. Do take your kitty- you will forever regret leaving him if you don't, but know that this will be harder on you- no matter what he says.OH! If you do try the leash thing, set him up at home so that you **know** he can't wriggle out of it- he'll be all freaked out, and the last thing you need is to have him slip from a harness at a rest stop on the turnpike- bye-bye, Baby.

Unread 02-03-2007   #9 (permalink)
Lisa

he'll be ok. just have something soft for him to lay on in the carrier. and make sure you put a harness or collar on him with a leash when you get out of the car cause if he gets out without that, it might not be good.and so he can get some fresh air and excersise.

Unread 02-03-2007   #10 (permalink)
jo_spidy_grl4

you should get the biggest animal taxi you can find and then make him/her feel as at home as possible but let him/her out of the pet taxi a few hours out of the daygood luck

Tags
advice , animal , anxiety , baby , box , car , cat , cats , collar , confined , family , food , fun , hey , home , house , kitty , litter , litter box , love , mat , moving , nausea , nice , night , pee , pet , scared , scratch , sleep , small , stitches , stop , territorial , toys , tranquilizers , travel , uncomfortable , upset , vet , water

Sponsored Cat Links