It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-31-2007   #1 (permalink)
juliafizz

Default Advice/known treatments for cat ringworm?

I have three cats. A few months ago they all had an outbreak of ringworm. (We think it came from the woman who was bathing them, they've never had it before, then spread by brushing) I digress. We did the whole pill thing (3 cats, three pills, twice a day = you do the math!!) MISERY -for eveyone involved.So far I've only seen signs on one cat and we've started bathing them with the medicated shampoo. Last time we took them to the vet three times before they caught it and we ended up spending over $500 and it took over six weeks. There has to be a better solution. Anyone have one? Thanks.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-01-2007   #2 (permalink)
c'estmoi

My cat had ringworm (skin fungus) last year. I used Lamisil (sp?) on the affected area and it cleared right up. I'm sure any over-the-counter medicine that treats ringworm will do the trick. My step-mother suggested this to me- she's a nurse. I'd try that first before taking him to the vet!My dog had ringworm a few years ago. Then i got it. I used the medicine the vet gave us on me and that worked too!!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-02-2007   #3 (permalink)
MumboVonJumbo

Yes, soak them with burnt motor oil, leave it on 15 min. shampoo it out. Repeat this for 3 days. Works everytime.

Unread 02-02-2007   #4 (permalink)
Needmorelove

Well unfortunately ringworm very persistent and annoying. It is difficult and take a very long time to treat. Six weeks seems to be the average. It is important that the environment your cat stays in is cleaned because ringworm spores are quite resistent in the environment. Common treatments of ringworm include griseofulvicin which was what your cats were probably on and Miconazole (Conofite)topical ointment for all the lesions. I worked at an animal shelter where ringworm was quite popular and in addition to giving cats medication the kittens were bathed with a dip called lyme sulfur or given a chlorohexidine bath. Even with all those treatments it still took an average of six weeks for that cats to be considered ringworm free.

Unread 02-02-2007   #5 (permalink)
brat1076

Ringworm is sometimes very hard to get rid of. Sometimes the shampoo works better on a shaved cat make sure you are leaving the shampoo on for the correct amount of time. If you choose to use otc stuff thats your choice but please, please, please don't use burnt motor oil.

Unread 02-02-2007   #6 (permalink)
outdoorcat

Burnt motor oil? Wouldn't that be a bit dangerous for the cat's health? I mean they might accidentally ingest it or something, because they are prone to licking themselves right? I think most ointments in the market will do. My mom believes in quack doctors so what we did was asked one and he gave us a certain herbal medicine and it really worked on her beautifully. Plus we didn't need to worry if she can ingest it because it is herbal after all.

Unread 02-03-2007   #7 (permalink)
wormmy

Hertz brand at the grocery store

Unread 06-20-2013   #8 (permalink)
Newborn

james_mckinley is on a distinguished road
Default Ringworm Alert

I know some people have had nightmare experiences with ringworm, but the only time I've had to deal with it, it was cleared up very easily. So it's not always terrible. I used PetsBestRx Ringworm Medicine Pack for Small Breed Cat from Q-based Solutions. Plus, keep your kitties' stress levels low as possible, and feed them a high-quality food. . .strengthening their immune systems will help them to kick the ringworm faster. I hope it's easy for you, too!
Unread 12-29-2014   #9 (permalink)
Kitten

CatLove24 is on a distinguished road

Hertz brand at the grocery store

Tags
addition , advice , animal , breed , cat , cat's , cats , dog , environment , food , free , health , hey , kittens , kitties , licking , pill , pills , ringworm , shelter , stress , vet , worry

Sponsored Cat Links