It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Go Back   Cat Forums - I-Love-Cats - your Ultimate Cat Forum > All About Cats > Cat Advice
Register

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-05-2007   #1 (permalink)
Administrator
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Breezy
admin has disabled reputation
Send a message via twitter to admin
Default My cat is allergic to fleas and we have taken him to the vet and they gave him a pill

Ah, Fleas! They are terrible little pesty creatures. It is important for a cat that is allergic to fleas to do year-round flea prevention because just one bite can cause severe skin disease. If you contact your veterinarian, they should be able to provide their favorite version of flea medication. I typically do not recommend over the counter flea medications because they tend to be less effective. If you still have a lot of fleas, you will also likely need to treat any other animals in the house along with your environment. You will want to vacuum everything you can and then throw away your vacuum bag. Wash all bedding in warm or hot water, depending on what the fabric will tolerate. In severe cases, you may also need to treat your house with a premise spray. These are available at some veterinarians or pet stores and are sprayed directly on carpet, furniture etc to help control the fleas. With these sprays, it is incredibly important to be sure it is labeled for use in houses with cats, that you follow the directions carefully, you keep your house well ventilated while treating and that you keep your cat isolated from the treated areas until they are dried. I would try to get on all of this right away as the longer you wait, the harder the fleas will be to get rid of. Good luck and be persistent!

More...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content

Tags
allergic , bite , carpet , cat , cats , environment , flea medication , fleas , fur , furniture , hey , house , pet , pill , vet , wash , water

Sponsored Cat Links