It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Go Back   Cat Forums - I-Love-Cats - your Ultimate Cat Forum > All About Cats > Cat Advice
Register

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-08-2007   #1 (permalink)
Administrator
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Breezy
admin has disabled reputation
Send a message via twitter to admin
Default I have a 9-month-old neutered male kitten, Liam, who was approximately 6-weeks-old wh

Many cats will have that little "dew flap" on the underside of their bellies. This is just a fat storage area but if he is already developing one at 9 months of age, I would worry that he is heading towards being overweight. All of us cat owners (myself included) tend to underestimate our cats body condition score and we all tend to think our cat is a normal weight when they are overweight. That being said, there is a huge variation in what is a “normal weight.” Your cat may be just a large framed cat and may end up being a normal weight at 15 pounds.
The best thing to do is to be sure you can easily feel his ribs and spine and make sure he has a slightly tucked in waist when you look down on him. If you cannot do that, he is too heavy. If you can't tell, you may want to ask your veterinarian’s opinion. Most clinics will allow you to bring your cat in for a quick check of their weight and one of the clinic's staff could easily assess if your cat is heavy, big, or both! Liam sounds like a big, beautiful boy but you should continue to keep a close eye on him as you don't want to have weight problems with him.

More...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content

Tags
beautiful , boy , cats , eye , hey , kitten , male , opinion , overweight , problems , worry

Sponsored Cat Links