It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-12-2007   #1 (permalink)
Administrator
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Breezy
admin has disabled reputation
Send a message via twitter to admin
Default Is it safe for my 9-month-old kittens to play with a ball of yarn?

It is not typically recommended that kittens play with yarn unsupervised. This is because many kittens will try to ingest the yarn and, if they do, the yarn can cause an obstruction of their intestines. When cats or kittens ingest something like yarn or string, we call it a linear foreign body. If the string does not pass, it can cause the intestines to bunch up and even act like a blade and cut through the intestines. In many cases, surgery is required to remove the string. It is better to find toys that your kittens cannot ingest, just to be safe.

More...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-13-2007   #2 (permalink)
Catrancher99

I've read horror stories about how dangerous string, yarn and other similar items can be to cats, so the Admin is absolutely correct. There is one set of strings my cats play with and that is the shoestrings on my boots, which still concerns me, but they can't swallow the boot, thank goodness.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-24-2007   #3 (permalink)
ExCal

I have never let my kitten play with yarn. Mostly just a balled up sock or something like that. But I never knew they would try to digest the yarn, sounds horrible.

Unread 03-26-2007   #4 (permalink)
LucyBell's mom

I think it depends on the kitten too. I watched my Lucy Bell really close when I first got her. She plays with everything that is considered bad for cats to play with unsupervised. After I watched her like a hawk for a while I realized that she doesn't try to eat anything she isn't. She has a pink shoe string that she races through the house with in her mouth trailing behind her. she playes with strings of beads and loves feathers. she bites at the feathers and likes to run them through her mouth and suck on them, but she never has eaten one. I pick up lose feathers she plucked from her toys all over the house. go figure?

Tags
bites , cats , cut , hey , house , kitten , kittens , obstruction , play , shoes , stories , surgery , toys

Sponsored Cat Links