It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Go Back   Cat Forums - I-Love-Cats - your Ultimate Cat Forum > All About Cats > Cat Advice
Register

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-03-2007   #1 (permalink)
Administrator
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Breezy
admin has disabled reputation
Send a message via twitter to admin
Default I have a 10 year old overweight cat that weighs 13 pounds. We have been noticing some

Thanks so much for your question. It can be extremely frustrating when a cat has blood in her urine. I certainly would not say you are clueless; it is so clear you know your cat well and are doing all you can to take care of her health. Since an ultrasound has been done, I'm assuming you've already done some of the simple things like checking a urine sample for infection and doing routine lab work to rule out systemic disease. Unfortunately, many cats can have a primary inflammation of their bladder and we don't know why. It sounds like your veterinarian has done some very applicable treatments like treat for infection (it is important to note that inflammation or blood in the urine does not always mean an infection is present) and put her on the cosequin, which can create a layer of protection inside the bladder. Regarding the cosequin, some cats may need to be on it for up to 6 weeks for it to work so if you see some progress but not enough, you could continue the medication if your veterinarian deems it appropriate. It sounds like you're seeing improvement so I'd keep up with your protocol. In some cases, anti-inflammatories, steroids, or other meds could help.
I am a little concerned about her weight loss. We usually consider a safe weight loss to be 1/4 to 1/2 pound a month. She may be losing weight too quickly on her current diet. If she is not getting enough calories this could also contribute to the change in her hair coat. We certainly want her to get to a healthy weight but we want her to do so safely.
Hang in there, as I said, blood in the urine can be a very frustrating problem. It sounds like you're on the right track and you are keeping a good eye on her so keep it up! Good luck and let us know if you have other questions.

More...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content

Tags
bladder , care , cat , cats , diet , eye , health , healthy , infection , loss , overweight , present , problem , question , steroids , tribute , urine , weight

Sponsored Cat Links