It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Go Back   Cat Forums - I-Love-Cats - your Ultimate Cat Forum > All About Cats > Cat Advice
Register

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-11-2007   #1 (permalink)
Administrator
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Breezy
admin has disabled reputation
Send a message via twitter to admin
Default Is there anything I can do to prevent a neutered cat from spraying?? He is about four

There are a couple things to determine first. Is he really spraying or just urinating and is the "spraying" due to a medical condition? If a cat is truly spraying, they back up to a vertical surface and spray a fine mist onto it; otherwise it is just peeing. To determine if it's medical, he should be examined by your veterinarian and a urine sample should be checked. He is at the prime age to have crystals in his urine and be affected by iFLUTD (Idiopathic Feline Urinary Tract Disease). With iFLUTD, cats are often uncomfortable when they urinate so they may choose another spot to urinate or spray. It can come and go, and the cat may not show other signs of being ill. In some cases, it can lead to a urinary obstruction that is an emergency.
So, start with the vet check up. In the mean time, be sure to practice great litter box hygiene. If a cat is unhappy with their litter box they are more likely to spray. It is ideal to have one box for every cat plus an extra one (two boxes for one cat). The box should be scooped daily and all the litter dumped once weekly. At that time, it is also ideal to rinse the box out with hot water. For particular cats, it can also help to remove a lid or liner if present. The litter box should be in a quiet, easily accessible area. Clean the areas you do find with an enzyme cleaner. An enzyme cleaner will destroy proteins left behind that attract the cat back to a spot, whereas a regular cleaner will just cover these up. You could also try the feline pheromone spray available at the veterinarian and pet stores. This spray was designed to help decrease spraying. You spray it directly on areas the cat has sprayed and also prominent objects in the room. This spray does seem to help some cats.
This should get you started. I applaud you for jumping right on this. The longer it goes untreated the harder it can be to break. Take care and good luck.

More...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-03-2008   #2 (permalink)
siberians4you

Hi-

New to the forum. Agree with Admin post, definately rule out any possible medical problems first.

See my response to the post of "Cats just won't get along" regarding simulated pheronome.

Major product marketed is EXPENSIVE.

Product I purchased from Petsmart is made by Pet Organics and 16 oz bottle is labeled :NoMark! Investment something like $7-$9.00 I purchased for a different reason.

This is a simulated pheronome (naturally occuring substance a cat produces when low anxiety happy etc, will not harm pet, no odor, will not harm surfaces. Follow directions on the bottle for your situaution, is marketed to stop cat urine marking.

RESULTS ARE INCREDIBLE!

Hope it works!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Tags
age , anxiety , art , box , care , cat , cats , clean , great , happy , hey , jumping , litter , litter box , medical , obstruction , peeing , pet , petsmart , present , problems , smart , stop , uncomfortable , urine , water

Sponsored Cat Links