It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Go Back   Cat Forums - I-Love-Cats - your Ultimate Cat Forum > All About Cats > Cat Advice
Register

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-23-2007   #1 (permalink)
Administrator
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Breezy
admin has disabled reputation
Send a message via twitter to admin
Default I have a Siamese/Egyptian Mau mixed cat. She is the runt of the litter. Our vet said

The first thing to do is to make sure there isn't a medical problem causing this. I know your veterinarian said she's not digesting her food correctly but the question is why. Many cats can have inflammation of their intestines (inflammatory bowel disease) that can cause this and many of these cats need medication to help maintain a healthy weight. Other reasons for her thinness could be thyroid disease, renal disease, liver disease, or parasites just to name a few. If lab work and a fecal sample haven't been done, I'd start with that. If that all appears normal, then intestinal disease is more likely to be the problem. At that point you can talk to your veterinarian about the options for treatment. There are also specific veterinary diets geared towards medical problems like intestinal disease. Your veterinarian is in the best position to offer you the best advice for your girl. Good luck with this and I hope you can get her to a more normal weight.

More...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-20-2008   #2 (permalink)
shannonspetportraits.com

Just a quick question about the cat that doesn't have much to do with anything other than the breed. Is it neurotic? Here's my story....
Many years ago my mom went on a "cat saving" spree, where she would gather up any stray cat she could find, bring it home, and try to re-home it. Of course NONE of the cats found homes other than ours (except the one she took that belonged to someone else), and so now here we are with the remainder of the bunch.
One of them is a siamese mix. She has always been a skiddish cat and because of this the other cats dominate her. When my parents moved she was greatly upset by it. She stayed in the basement for 2 years until they forced her to come out. She's living her life in a basket right now, too afraid to come out because of the other pets in the house. I feel bad for her and so I decided to try and take her to my house.
The problem is, I already have one of my mom's old cats. She is a very laid back cat and never took part in harassing this cat. But now that the other cat is here they're of course hissing at one another and my cat now refuses to go into the same room with her.
Right now I'm trying to figure out whether or not I should bring her back. I want to help but I also don't want to sacrifice my 1st cat's happiness.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Tags
advice , art , bowel , breed , cat , cat's , cats , food , found , girl , healthy , hey , hissing , home , homes , house , litter , medical , problem , problems , question , renal disease , runt , siamese , story , stray , upset , vet , weight

Sponsored Cat Links