It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Go Back   Cat Forums - I-Love-Cats - your Ultimate Cat Forum > All About Cats > Cat Advice
Register

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-01-2007   #1 (permalink)
Administrator
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Breezy
admin has disabled reputation
Send a message via twitter to admin
Default I am looking at a kitten that has a permanent permeable membrane. The breeder told me

Good for you for checking out some more information before agreeing to take this kitten. Since I have not heard of a permanent permeable membrane, I suspect what you mean this kitten has is a persistent papillary membrane (PPM) which is a remnant of an embryonic component of the eye that makes up the iris (the colored part of the eye)? In some cases a few strands of the papillary membrane can remain in the eye. Your breeder is correct; in most cases it doesn't cause a problem. However, dependent to the type of PPM, cataracts can develop, or worse case scenario, blindness can occur in that eye if the cataracts become severe or the iris becomes severely misshapen. A PPM does not affect other aspects of the cats health though, and most cats don't even know they have it. So, it is up to you on how you feel about taking this kitten. You may want to talk to the breeder further about their experience with this. In dogs, we know there is a breed disposition for this and animals with this should not be bred. We could assume the same for our cats. Let us know if you have other questions.

More...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content

Tags
breeder , cats , dogs , eye , fur , health , hey , kitten , problem , type

Sponsored Cat Links