It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Go Back   Cat Forums - I-Love-Cats - your Ultimate Cat Forum > All About Cats > Cat Advice
Register

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-01-2007   #1 (permalink)
Administrator
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Breezy
admin has disabled reputation
Send a message via twitter to admin
Default My 9-year-old Japanese Bobtail has been active and feisty all his life. He now doesn'

I agree that you absolutely need to take your guy to the vet to be examined. Any change in behavior, especially in an older cat, could be a sign of disease. With the drooling you saw, he could have gotten into something but it could also have been a seizure or perhaps a problem with his mouth like ulcers or dental disease. I deal with lots (and I mean lots) of cats that are not happy to be at the veterinarian. I know they are great cats at home; they just tend to act out due to nervousness or fear when they see me. I would call around to various clinics and ask how they work with cats that become upset at their visits. Not every veterinarian can or is willing to work with an upset cat. Keep in mind too, that your cat may need to be sedated to have a thorough exam. To make things a little easier with the visit though, take your carrier out days in advance so your cat gets used to it. Place treats, toys or his food it to get him used to it. You should also try to stay as calm as possible. Your bobtail will pick up your stress and this can make it worse. In some cases, the feline facial pheromone can have a calming effect if sprayed in his carrier or in your car. Good luck with this, I know how frustrating it can be.

More...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content

Tags
behavior , calm , cat , cats , food , great , happy , hey , home , nervous , problem , stress , toys , upset , vet

Sponsored Cat Links