It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-08-2007   #1 (permalink)
Administrator
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Breezy
admin has disabled reputation
Send a message via twitter to admin
Default My cat eats rats - is it normal or it would be harmful for it?

Cats have such a strong predatory instinct that they will often go after any kind of prey they have access to. There are some issues with your cat eating rats. First, some of them are rather large and tough and can give a cat some nasty bites or scratches. Your cat can also get parasites from eating them. Although rare, if a cat eats a rat that has ingested rat poison, it is possible to transfer that poison to your cat. Ingesting rat poison can be very serious to a cat. It can be very difficult to prevent a cat from hunting, but if you have any way to prevent your cat from getting the rats I would do so. I would also recommend your cat receive worming medications regularly.

More...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-09-2008   #2 (permalink)
courtneylovescats

Hi there ,
yes it is normal for your cat to eat rats my cat does the same and she brings mice in the house. my cat eats rats mice spiders bees and wasps.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-17-2008   #3 (permalink)
dorothysmith

Default I think it's abnormal

Hi,

If your cat eat lots of rats in day, may be that's can create health problem for your cat. In normal pet cats kill rats but not going to eat..

Unread 05-20-2008   #4 (permalink)
nancyjw3

remember that they are cats and can eat things that would make us violently ill.
one of my rescues was eating discarded raw chicken breasts out of the dumpster for 2 days running.in the middle of summer no less.
it didn't seem to bother him at all.

Unread 05-20-2008   #5 (permalink)
braceegenny4m

you've got a wild one!

Unread 06-02-2008   #6 (permalink)
jasonjuicer

I would think that it's ok... my cats eat birds and they seem fine.

Unread 06-04-2008   #7 (permalink)
braceegenny4m

my cat got out side a day ago and is no where to be seen! 24 hours have gone by and still nothing. i just moved from my house where my cat resides, at the moment i am unable to take her with me and she has a baby here that she gave birth too a year ago, do you know anyway to help find her or any way to know if she'll come back for her baby?

Unread 06-08-2008   #8 (permalink)
nancyjw3

ur very unclear about what the situation is.
u moved and can't take her w/u? but now she is missing?
if you moved to a new location and she got out of the new location or did she escape from the previous location?she had a baby a year ago,this cat is no longer a baby .i really don't understand ur question.how much of a distance between the place u moved from and the place u moved too?u need to clarify what you are looking for.

Unread 06-27-2008   #9 (permalink)
Top Cat

catlover83 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, it's just normal. The only problem is that most house rats are absolutely dirty. My cat is even worse, I saw her one time eating a cockroach. Eew. Haha.
The night runs over him
like dark water

- Pablo Neruda

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|

|
Unread 07-16-2008   #10 (permalink)
buttercup

It would be a responce that would be normal for a cat being they are naturally hunters. But can we say EEEEEEEEW! My furry kids don't go outside but they will ingest bugs. I had a longhair female who could launch herself flying just to catch flys. She prefered fresh caught ones. We never had a problem with them. HEHE!

Tags
amazing , baby , bat , birds , birth , bites , cat , cats , cool , eating , female , feral , found , fun , funny , happy , health , hey , house , indoor , kitty , mat , missing , mouse , outdoor , pet , play , poison , problem , question , rare , raw , sick , small , smell , wild , won't eat

Sponsored Cat Links