It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Go Back   Cat Forums - I-Love-Cats - your Ultimate Cat Forum > All About Cats > Cat Advice
Register

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-14-2007   #1 (permalink)
Administrator
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Breezy
admin has disabled reputation
Send a message via twitter to admin
Default My cat Peewee broke his right back leg and he's on medication. Surgery to keep his l

I am so sorry to hear about Peewee. Ultimately this is a decision you will have to make yourself based on your own circumstances and what is best for Peewee. It is always ideal if we can keep the leg but I would have some serious conversations with the surgeon about long-term consequences. With the cost of surgery I am assuming it must be a fairly bad break and I would ask them how they feel his long-term prognosis will be with surgery and about any complications that could occur. I will also say that most cats do very well with a leg amputated. With either option it is extremely important to control their pain after surgery but with the amputation once it is healed, people are often amazed at how well the cats does and gets around. Be sure to ask with either surgery what the costs after surgery would be so you are sure to have all the information you need to make a decision. I would also recommend if you do either surgery that Peewee be an inside-only cat after this, if he is not already. While he should be able to get around well after each surgery, he will be a little slower than before and his ability to escape danger could be compromised. Good luck with this hard decision and please let us know if you have other questions.

More...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-15-2007   #2 (permalink)
sherri

Question was this from another site?

i've been a vet tech for many years, and am an animal lover, i would hat to see an animal put down, that has so much life left..there has to be some organizations out there that could at least help with the cheapest surgery, i have seen many 3 legged cats, that do just fine, even paralyzed cats do good...is there a way to keep posted on this matter?..i really would like to know how this turns out..there has got to be a better solution than euthanization...thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
I am so sorry to hear about Peewee. Ultimately this is a decision you will have to make yourself based on your own circumstances and what is best for Peewee. It is always ideal if we can keep the leg but I would have some serious conversations with the surgeon about long-term consequences. With the cost of surgery I am assuming it must be a fairly bad break and I would ask them how they feel his long-term prognosis will be with surgery and about any complications that could occur. I will also say that most cats do very well with a leg amputated. With either option it is extremely important to control their pain after surgery but with the amputation once it is healed, people are often amazed at how well the cats does and gets around. Be sure to ask with either surgery what the costs after surgery would be so you are sure to have all the information you need to make a decision. I would also recommend if you do either surgery that Peewee be an inside-only cat after this, if he is not already. While he should be able to get around well after each surgery, he will be a little slower than before and his ability to escape danger could be compromised. Good luck with this hard decision and please let us know if you have other questions.

More...

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Tags
animal , cat , cats , color , hey , mat , surgery , vet

Sponsored Cat Links