It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-04-2009   #11 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Get well soon Road !! You can do it !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-04-2009   #12 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road

Hi & welcome!

Yes, you're a real hero! Thank you for helping this poor kit! God bless you & I'm sure He will help you & this poor creature you named Road.
Besides the mineral oil & in the meantine you can give him fatty cream cheese. This will help him with his bowel movement.

Good luck,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-04-2009   #13 (permalink)
Poisoncupcake

I'm so glad to hear Road took some steps and is getting some strength back. Another way to help him with the constipation is to (this is a little hard to stomach) massage his anus with a warm wash cloth. I've read that it helps to stimulate them to have a bowel movement and is similar to what mommy cats do to their kittens when they lick them. If you decide to try it I would just say be as gentle as possible and just let him be comfortable in what ever position he prefers. Good luck and thank you so much for taking care of this poor kitty!

Unread 04-04-2009   #14 (permalink)
abbie1234

aww poor thing

Unread 04-05-2009   #15 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
che is on a distinguished road

Oh great news,Road has taken some steps.Hope he continues to improve.Keep up the good work,you are truly wonderful.xxxxx
Unread 04-05-2009   #16 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by varden View Post
I called the emergency vet who first treated our patient and on his approval I picked up some KMR and mineral oil. If he hasn't had a bowel movement by Sunday, I'm going to administer the mineral oil.

Thank you, guys, for all the really good advice and also for letting us know how much water! We aren't giving him enough, so we'll modify that immediately.

As for his name, we are calling him Road, for the way in which we found him. He's a very sweet baby, and I think we had our first recovery milestone! He stood up almost normally this morning and took several shuffling steps before lying back down again. But he moved BOTH back legs instead of dragging the bad one, which is what we were afraid might happen. Also, I don't think he's totally blind, but his vision definitely isn't quite right.

This is day 9.
Congratulations on the step forward! Road obviously has a strong will to live, I bet he's got a wonderful personality that will be gine to shine through as he recovers! Please do keep us updated!

I'm glad the vet approved the mineral oil. Did he tell you how much to give? usually starting with 1 or 1.5 ml is best. Remember to give it in a very small amount of food (most cats love it) an hour before or two hours after any other food or medicine.

Please do keep us updated, you know, we're all in love with Road already!

By the way, how are your other cats taking this, knowing there is a stranger in their midst?
Unread 04-05-2009   #17 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
Congratulations on the step forward! Road obviously has a strong will to live, I bet he's got a wonderful personality that will be gine to shine through as he recovers! Please do keep us updated!

I'm glad the vet approved the mineral oil. Did he tell you how much to give? usually starting with 1 or 1.5 ml is best. Remember to give it in a very small amount of food (most cats love it) an hour before or two hours after any other food or medicine.

Please do keep us updated, you know, we're all in love with Road already!

By the way, how are your other cats taking this, knowing there is a stranger in their midst?
YES, absolutely, I am in love with Road already, since the first moment I read your post. I really admire his strong will and determination to survive. I also believe he's got the most charming personality and am sure he is very grateful to you for what you've done !! I believe, your other cats will love him too, once they get along together after his recovery.

Unread 04-05-2009   #18 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
maggiemay is on a distinguished road

Poor baby, at least he has a lovely new mommy to look after him. Hopefully he will make a full recovery. Welcome.
Former mom to: Rosie, Tigger, Samson, Smokey, Maggiemay, Tasha, Abby, Coco, SmokeyJr, Merlin, and Merlin Jr, Gracie, and Samson Jr, I left you all in Canada with the exception of Rosie and Tigger who I know are no longer with us! I hope that you are all happy, and I'm sorry I couldn't bring you with me!
Unread 01-29-2013   #19 (permalink)
Newborn

Cat Whisperer is on a distinguished road

You can also get some Nutri-cal get (get the gel not the chew sticks) a high calorie and vitamin-mineral product made to sustain cats who aren't taking in enough nutrition. In this case, the Nutri-Cal (approximately a 1 inch ribbon) should be mixed with just enough hot water to liquefy it fairly well then you can add the Nutri-Cal/water mix to your kmr formula or mix it with something such as the baby food mentioned in this thread. I've used Nutri-Cal for many years now to help get adequate nutrition into sick or injured cats and kittens until I could get them eating again.

They won't let me put the URL for the Nutrical my post so I'll do my best to give you enough info to find the product! Add the slashes and the www and hopefully you'll be able to reach the sites.
Information on Nutri-Cal
drugs.com vet nutri-cal-for-cats
Nutri-Cal For Cats Veterinary Information from Drugs.com

Here's a reputable source where you can get Nutri-Cal. I use the gel, not the soft chews. The gel can be mixed with water-it mixes best in hot water, and then mixed into your cat's food or fed by eyedropper.
revivalanimal.com Nutri-Cal.html Tomlyn® Nutri-Cal®Revival Animal Health

Incidentally, for years I've used a home made formula of 1 cup vanilla yogurt, 1/3 cup evaporated milk or milnot, 1/3 cup water, and 1 tablespoon of corn syrup to feed orphan kittens, puppies, baby raccoons, and once even raised an orphan baby opossum on it. You might want to try it or mix it with kmr.

Your vet should also have Nutri-Cal or be able to get it for you if you would rather get it from your vet.

BTW I had to chuckle at the name of your cat "Road" because I have a torbie and white rescued cat here named Splat Cat because she was hit by a car, suffered brain damage, and miraculously survived with little noticeable effect.
Unread 01-29-2013   #20 (permalink)
Newborn

sofie rivera is on a distinguished road

Hi my name is Sofie and I am a colony cat caretaker for 21 cats. I have came across some cats in very serious conditions and all you can do is care for them and love them through this ordeal. They will get better in time or not but the important thing is to do what you can for the pets now. Wishing you the best Sofie..
The Following User Says Thank You to sofie rivera For This Useful Post:

Tags
advice , animal , antibiotics , baby , bath , bowel , boy , car , care , cat , cat food , cats , clean , constipation , diet , dry , eating , eye , eyes , food , found , fur , great , home , house , kennel , male , mat , morning , moving , night , nose , nutrition , pee , peeing , pet , poo , prayers , problems , rescue , siamese , sleeping , small , steroids , suggestions , surgery , urine , vet , wash , water , weight , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links