It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-20-2009   #1 (permalink)
candrews922

Default Ziggy and paralysis

Sorry I didn't make this clear in my 1st post. I took Ziggy to the vet after he originally was hurt. The vet didn't think any of this back end would recover. I called him after Ziggy was showing signs that feeling and movement were returning, and he gave me some half baked advice. I think he still didn't believe he could recover. At this point he is able to void and bm on his own. I help empty his bladder because he isn't emptying it completely. He can move everything if he wants to. I read about paralysis, and after it has happened, even though the nerves have regained function the connection from brain to spine to body part needs to get reaquainted with how to work properly. It has to get retrained on how to walk etc. this is done with people and animals. So I am asking if anyone has had a cat that has recovered from a paralysis injury, and what kind of therapy was done to get them actually back on their feet. I have been doing exercizes with Ziggy that the vet said to do, but I haven't seen any progress towards walking. I can tell that he is able to move everything, but when he gets up he is still dragging his hind end. I can get him to stand and sit if I balance him while he is doing it, and I position his legs. Otherwise he justs goes back to dragging, it is like he has forgotten what to do with them. Thanks. Candrews. Oh one suggestion the vet made and laughed was it would be great if I could put him in a pool, I didn't think it was funny.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-21-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Hi Candrews,

Thank God I don't have/had any kit with this problem, but your vet is right: the pool would help him a lot. I remember I saw in TV many animal rehabilitation centers that work with this method with excellent results.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-21-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Smile

Hi Candrews, thanks for your clarification.
If that's the case, I have to agree wth Maya. I have also seen some recovery program for pets or animals using this kind of rehab. method. Cats will surely have to move if trained in a pool.

I myself have the same experience with myself (after my knee surgery), and honestly, that whole leg had really forgotten it's original function for a long time, even very very long after I completed the so called "rehab therapy". I remebered that I "could" run as I used to be and now as I had gained back my health...then my brain gave the command to both legs to start to run. Funny that when my other uninjured leg took the command easily and ran, the once injured leg really could not cope with it, and the resul was, I ran straigh to hit the wall and completely lost my balance. In the process, again the brain gave a "stop" command, but to little avail, that same leg still didn't take the message, and poor me, this running ended up with me hitting the wall...

To get used to the original function that your cat's hind legs used to have, why don't you try to help him regain strength and skill even that means you have to really be with him in a pool. Please keep us posted for the result.
When there is a will, there is a way ! God Bless you and your kitty !

Tags
advice , animal , art , bladder , cat , cat's , cats , funny , great , health , hurt , kitty , lost , problem , stop , surgery , vet

Sponsored Cat Links