It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-29-2009   #1 (permalink)
Bubby

Default Please help!

As some of you know I have been caring for this stray cat that was pregnant. I still have not found those kittens but, I have a different problem. I have a cat his name is Julius we call him (JJ).

[ATTACH]828[/ATTACH

And if I figured out how to attach the picture correctly.... He is the black and white one.

He is jealous. He doesn't like this cat coming around. He even gets kind of jealous when I pay a little attention to my other cat (Emmitt). To make a long story short. JJ is urinating on my furniture. I believe it's because he is marking his territory. He is neutered. How can I get him to stop? He did this once before and I bought this repellent spray. It worked for a while but, he has started doing it again. Any advise would be appeciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 001.jpg (92.5 KB, 7 views)

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-29-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

JJ is a beautiful boy I must say.., he's obviously jealous too ! When I first brought Lady Fergie home, Princess Tiger did the same thing three times even on my clothes and bed, but I tried to understand her feeling. and never blamed her. She's absolutely jealous and needed more attention, so I gave her more, maybe even more than what she expected, and I tried to slowly introduce her to the other kitty. Then I managed to gain back her trust, she never again did that to me. Hope you can deal with that asap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-29-2009   #3 (permalink)
Bubby

Thank you. I will try giving him even more attention.

I try to even out the attention between the two cats but JJ is the one that is always near me. He is the one that sleeps with me. Emmitt likes attention....but he also likes his alone time. He is not as demanding as JJ.

Unread 04-29-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

The first thing to do is to bring JJ in for a check up. almost always inappropriate urination is health related.

Stress can cause UTIs and JJ may be feeling stress when you come in smelling like strange cat.

Males block easily and suddenly and once blocked die within 24 hours without treatment, and it is a terrible painful death, so really ruling out illness is the first thing to do.

Having said that, comfort zone feliway plug in diffusers are great for this kind of problem. See my sig for a link to information on them. I get them at entirelypets.com, best price around. google entirelypets.com coupon for a coupon code

You will also need an enzyme cleaner and a black light to find and remove all traces of the urine, to prevent him returning to those spots after he is either treated, trained, or both.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 04-29-2009   #5 (permalink)
Bubby

Thanks for the advice. I love my cats and I don't want anything to happen to them.
I will make an appointment today. Thanks for the links.

Will I find the enzyme cleaner on this site as well?

Unread 04-29-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
The first thing to do is to bring JJ in for a check up. almost always inappropriate urination is health related.

Stress can cause UTIs and JJ may be feeling stress when you come in smelling like strange cat.

Males block easily and suddenly and once blocked die within 24 hours without treatment, and it is a terrible painful death, so really ruling out illness is the first thing to do.
It's true ! Thanks Acer for your reminder, I missed this point !

Unread 05-01-2009   #7 (permalink)
Bubby

Acer,
Thank you so much for your advice. JJ went to the vet yesterday. They told me they found crystals, and a little inflammation. They said he had begining stages of an infection. They gave him an antibiotic and sent me home with a special food to keep his PH level down. They told me the same thing you did about him getting blocked. Hopefully he will eat this food. Now I know what the warning signs are. I am so thankful I found this site for catlovers!!!

Unread 05-01-2009   #8 (permalink)
Bubby

Default Thank you for your advice

Hi Irene,
Thank you for your advise as well. I have been giving him more attention.
So if his be havior has anything to do with it i am dealing with it also.
I am trying to feed the stray when the cats are in the other room. Maybe that will help too.

Stray Kitty.jpg

This is a picture of the little stray momma I have been feeding. I hope I don't have a problem finding her a home once I get her spayed. I still haven't found the kittens.

Unread 05-01-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

You are very welcome and I am glad I could help. Thank goodness you caught it early. How smart of you to follow my advice! <ggg>

Entirelypets.com probably does carry some enzymatic cleaners that will remove the urine odor. It has to be removed so a cat can't smell it, even if you can't smell it he may still be able to. that's why the black light is so handy, it will show up urine spots even if you can't smell them.

some people swear by vinegar, others have their own favorites. You can do a search on it

I have two female cats with FLUTD who will eat prescription food all their lives. They eat the Hills prescription c/d multicare.

It is very important that JJ get lots of water, too. I feed scheduled meals and add a little warm water to all their meals, I make a gravy out of it with the special canned food, then add a little kibble.

Weight and exercise is important too. It's important for all cats, of course, but cats with FLUTD (Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease) really need to keep their weight down and move a lot.

please read this first
Unread 05-01-2009   #10 (permalink)
Bubby

Default JJ

Thank you also for the advice on how to clean up.

I think JJ drinks a good bit of water. I bought one of those Drink Well fountains for them. They really seem to like it.

That's a good idea about mixing the kibble with the wet food. He may eat it that way. I think that is the same kind of food they want JJ to eat for the first 3-4 weeks to eat a food called s/d then after that she will change him to c/d.

I really do need to pay more attention to their portion control. JJ has gained weight and Emmitt (as you can see in the picture )is bigger than JJ.

Tags
advice , antibiotic , antibiotics , babies , behavior , belly , black , boy , canned food , care , carpet , cat , catching , cats , clean , color , confined , favorites , fever , food , found , friends , fur , furniture , girl , great , growling , heat , hey , hissing , home , infection , kittens , laser , links , love , lovers , loving , pet , picture , play , playing , prayers , pregnant , problem , scared , search , smart , smell , spayed , stop , story , stray , stress , urine , vet , water , weight , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links