It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-30-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Philly's mom is on a distinguished road
Default results from Philly's blood test here

I took my 17 yr old cat for a blood test and I will never do that to him again.
Today the vet phoned to say he has Hyperthyroidism and needs to be on pills and with blood tests every 2 weeks ( I dont think so)
Any comments pls
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-30-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Red face

Sorry, I cannot help you on this. Maybe another member knows something...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-30-2009   #3 (permalink)
lucygirl

Smile Philly's blood test

OH poor Philly, I don't know anything on this subject. How was he when they took blood? I am lucky that the cats I have had fostering and as my cats that owned me lol I never had trouble when they needed blood work done. Let us know how things go please.
Susan

Unread 04-30-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

I had my kitties all blood tested, so far the results are fine. The first test revealed that Princess had slight kidney and liver problem, but still controllable, the vet gave advice that I need to give her more water to drink but never require regular blood test that often.... yes, I took her twice (once a year, as she is now only 17 months old)...that's to me is already regular (also for my other kitties, and just for prevention).

Unread 05-01-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Default Hyperthyroidism is very serious

I'm sorry your beloved kitty has this disease, there is only one cure (iodine radiation therapy, but only for younger healthy cats) but he can be maintained for quite a long time with medication.

This is the scoop. Your 17 year old cat has hyperthyroid disease. without medication his thyroid will continue to escalate, and he will basically starve to death.

The thyroid controls metabolism. His metabolism is running in over drive and will eat up any calories he consumes. No matter how much he eats, he will continue to lose weight.

The medication controls the thyroid so can he begin to put on weight again. He will feel much better, too.

The reason for the blood work is to check how the medicine is working. It takes time to find the right dose to control the thyroid elevating, without making it go too low. the body needs some thyroid activity, especially in an older cat, because it helps the kidneys to function.

if it goes too low, you're looking at possible kidney problems.

So blood work in two weeks will tell you and your vet if the medicine is helping. It will tell you if the dose needs to be lowered or raised. Once the best dose is found for your beloved cat, blood work will drop to once every six months.

I urge you to follow your vets directions in caring for your elderly cat.

I know these things because I have an 18 year old cat who has both hyperthyroid disease and kidney disease.

(she also has arthritis, megacolon, heart murmur, high blood pressure and stroke)

please keep us updated on your kitty's progress. What is his name?

Get a copy of the blood work for your own records. If you doubt your vet find a new vet.

Last edited by acerlt; 05-01-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Unread 05-01-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Oh my goodness, I didn't know this disease can be so severe for felines... thanks Acer for your valuable information !! Hope Philly(the kitty's name) will get better with the meds and live a long life... I also pray that Ootay will be doing great too under your care... !

Last edited by Irene Jims; 05-01-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Unread 05-01-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene Jims View Post
Oh my goodness, I didn't know this disease can be so severe for felines... thanks Acer for your valuable information !! Hope Philly(the kitty's name) will get better with the meds and live a long life... I also pray that Ootay will be doing great too under your care... !
Thank you Irene! Ootay is doing pretty well these days. She had a bad time a couple of weeks ago and I had to use the tramadol (pain med) for the first time, but haven't had to use it again since. I was lucky, her emergency came at night, but it was my vet practice on call. Not my vet, but the attending vet was able to talk to my own vet, and read Ootay's records, so she was up to date on tiny Ootay. whew!

(sorry to hijack your thread phillysmom!)
Unread 05-01-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
Thank you Irene! Ootay is doing pretty well these days. She had a bad time a couple of weeks ago and I had to use the tramadol (pain med) for the first time, but haven't had to use it again since. I was lucky, her emergency came at night, but it was my vet practice on call. Not my vet, but the attending vet was able to talk to my own vet, and read Ootay's records, so she was up to date on tiny Ootay. whew!

(sorry to hijack your thread phillysmom!)
Poor Ootay! You were very lucky that night, Acer

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)

Tags
advice , care , cat , cats , elderly , fostering , found , great , healthy , heart murmur , hey , hyper , kitties , kitty , lucky , mat , night , pills , problem , problems , test , vet , water , weight

Sponsored Cat Links