It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-01-2009   #1 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road
Question kitten overeating?

I leave kitten food out for my cats 24/7, with fresh bowls of water every few hours. I've noticed the past few days that Cami has been eating A LOT! She is at the bowl I'd say a good 20 or more times a day, and she will sit and eat until the bowl is empty (its a pretty small bowl). Every time I refill it, she is there, ready to munch some more! She's 7 months old now, and was a feral stray before the shelter found her. Is she eating too much? Could it be due to the fact that she probably had to scavenge for food before? I really don't want to over-feed her.

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-01-2009   #2 (permalink)
Kitten

Caki_Nanu is on a distinguished road
Red face

A 7 month old cat (and older) should eat 2 times a day...younger kittens should eat 3 times a day...make sure that you dont overfeed your cat, it could lead to problems!
When i first got my little baby it ate constantly, ..the vet told me to remove the food during the day and make a routine schedule that I can keep constantly (my kitten is 4 months old so i feed her 3 times daily)..example: I feed her in the morning before I go to work, but I leave the water tray out all day...then I feed her again when i come home, and then right before bed...the first 2 weeks were the worst, my mother told me she would hear the cat meow while im not there constantly, naturally i went back to the vet where i was told that it will take time but a constant feeding process will make the cat gain more weight, especially if its an indoor cat and doesnt have much activity.
I was also told that mixing dry food and wet food once daily is healthy but not all cats like that (thankfully mine does)
Another thing, the fact that Cami was a feral cat meant she had to look for food constantly, and now that she has it 24/7 she'll take all that she's given. Just make sure that you keep an eye on her, an irregular feeding schedule can also irritate her poor little stomach.
By the way, i truly admire the fact that you took her in from the shelter more people need to go there and give cats like Cami a chance to have a happy home
Good luck to you both

A cat can purr its way out of anything.- Donna McCrohan
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The smallest feline is a masterpiece. - Leonardo Da Vinci
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-01-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

I agree with Caki that scheduled feeding times are better than free feeding.

I feed two meals in the morning an hour apart. a snack when I run in to medicate and care for Ootay, two meals at night an hour apart, and a snack before bed.

I also add my thanks to you for giving a shelter kitty a forever home,

please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-01-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

I also agree with Caki. Pls don't overfeed him, it can lead to very serious health problems!

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 05-01-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzekmaya View Post
I also agree with Caki. Pls don't overfeed her, it can lead to very serious health problems!
I do not want to overfeed her, hence why I asked here I took the bowls after the cats ate last night, and didn't feed them again until this morning. I noticed that Cami likes to push Dante away from the food, so I made sure I fed them separately. So here's my plan:

Morning: small scoop of dry food, one small bowl per cat

Mid-day: 2 small spoonfuls of wet food, for each cat

Bedtime: small scoop of dry, one bowl per cat

The water they have access to all day/night.
Unread 05-01-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

It sounds like a good plan

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 05-01-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzekmaya View Post
It sounds like a good plan
Or so I thought LOL. I fed them both at lunchtime, putting Dante to his food first since like I said before, Cami likes to push him away. I split one of the tiny fancy feast cans between them. Wellllll, Dante ate half of his and walked away. Figuring he would come back to it like usual, I left it there. Cami ate all of hers and was eating Dante's as well when I came back into the room! What a piglet! I am going to be feeding them in separate rooms from now on.
Unread 05-01-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Hahahaa ! You too have a Piglet ?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamiDante View Post
Or so I thought LOL. I fed them both at lunchtime, putting Dante to his food first since like I said before, Cami likes to push him away. I split one of the tiny fancy feast cans between them. Wellllll, Dante ate half of his and walked away. Figuring he would come back to it like usual, I left it there. Cami ate all of hers and was eating Dante's as well when I came back into the room! What a piglet! I am going to be feeding them in separate rooms from now on.
My Lady is also a Piglet (her nickname too), that's why I feed them in separate rooms !

Unread 05-04-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Our schedule is working, somewhat! Cami still meows like crazy in between meals. She knows when it's food time, she comes running when the kibble bag is shaken
Her meows drive me crazy sometimes, but I am sticking to my guns, and not giving in! Each cat gets 1/4 cup dry food each in the morning (around 6am), 1/2 a 2 oz (each) at lunch (around 1-2pm), and another 1/4 cup dry each at 7-8pm. In between it's water only in the bowls.
Now my worry is about Dante. He eats each meal, I mean, he really cleans his bowl! He eats pretty fast too. The vet says he's at a healthy weight, which I do NOT believe. When you pet him, you can feel his ribs, his shoulder blades and hip bones are pretty prominent. He does eat, I know that since I watch him eat every meal, but I am thinking I might want to get a 2nd opinion from another vet. Any advice?

Last edited by CamiDante; 05-04-2009 at 01:07 AM.
Unread 05-04-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

I think you should try to feed them more ... well, skinny sometimes means not getting enough food for daily activities... The reason is I think because their daily activies would require more food... than passive kitties.
My kitties eat well, but Lady Fergie will always be starving though ?? According to her health report (blood test, etc.) she's pretty healthy, healthier than her sister ... at about 3 kg -- Princess Tiger is just a bit rounder in shape, only about 100 gr heavier...

Tags
advice , age , baby , car , care , cat , cats , clean , color , crazy , diabetes , diet , dry , dry food , eating , eye , fast , feral , food , found , free , friends , health , hey , home , house , kitten food , kittens , kitty , laser , lost , love , meowing , morning , neutering , night , obesity , opinion , overeating , passive , problem , problems , shelter , shelters , small , stray , test , toys , trend , vet , water , wet food , worry

Sponsored Cat Links