It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-10-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

newhehe is on a distinguished road
Default do cats know about litter tray right away?

do cats know about litter tray right away?

say like a cat never see a litter tray before. does the cat knows that its a restroom? do they need special train for it? or they automactically know what to do with it?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-10-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

I think they instinctively do ... I never taught or train mine to use the "restroom". But, funny enough, Lady Fergie likes to play hide and seek in the "restroom"
Welcome to the forum. What's your name and your kitty ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-10-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

I think it'll be fine if you just show the cat where it is
Unread 05-10-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

I know a feral kitty who is fed and has shelter in a friend's garage. her first winter I told them to put a litter box in the garage for her because it was so cold.

they scoffed at the idea of a cat born in the wild knowing how to use a litter box, but I said "just try it" and they were amazed to discover she began using it right away.

if your kitten has trouble getting the idea, next time she messes elsewhere put the mess right in the litter box and show it to her, that will help her get the idea what it's for.

poop of course is easy to pick up and put in the box. For pee, sprinkle a bit of litter over the pee on the floor, then sweep it all up and put it in the box.

place kitty in the box where the pee or poop is and gently hold her front paws and make the scratch motions.

A kitten may need a smaller box with low sides at first, using a cookie sheet for a tiny baby at first will help.

I offer that suggestion not knowing how big your cat/kitten may be.

Use litter without heavy perfumes or "fragrance". Cats have very sensitive noses.

keep litter box in quiet low traffic area, cats like privacy. Keep litter box clean by scooping twice a day, and dump and scrub once a week.
Unread 05-11-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Yes, I think most of kitties know instinctively, what it's for. Getting them to know the litter box is also a good idea ... or show the cats where it is. They will appreciate it, rather than pooing/peeing outside in a harsh cold weather...
Cats like privacy -- my litter box is just the one with a door, I'm sure they love it, but I hav one question here ... sometimes when followed by other cats who peep at, or peek inside, they tend to get nervous too ... what can I do to avoid this curiousity ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 05-11-2009   #6 (permalink)
neko-chan

Hmm.. I dont know the answer to that.. Answers are found above.. LoL..^^

Unread 05-11-2009   #7 (permalink)
Top Cat

Lyka_01 is on a distinguished road

For me I guess that is their instinct to know it is the litter box...
But better introduced it to your kitty so that he/she will not find hard of understanding what it is...

||

"If animals could speak the dog would be a a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."
Unread 05-11-2009   #8 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Stressed
Ceri Cat is on a distinguished road

My introduction for kittens to the litter box is to scrape their paws through the litter a couple of times. I kind of hold with the idea of cats having racial memory though since cats from parents who had no prior litter training in their history get the hint slower in my experience. Susan had the idea straight away though she got her nose rubbed in a couple of messes, but in one case it wasn't entirely her fault, someone had shut the door to the bedroom where her litter box was.
The first day I had her she was actually asleep in the back of her litter box (it's a two part shell similar to a hard case pet carrier with a filter in the back), so I wondered if she was using it.
I will admit though Susan is very good about using her litter, she's become my most obsessive cat ever, even if it's wet she'll still use it instead of going elsewhere (she was staying with my mother at the time), I usually give it a good run through at least every 2-3 days since she's not fully grown, but I'll usually turn it every day at least and get out the bigger clumps though.
Unread 05-11-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

All my kits knew it right away.
I also see the strays using places with sand or soil instinctively, I guess...

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 05-11-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri Cat View Post
My introduction for kittens to the litter box is to scrape their paws through the litter a couple of times. I kind of hold with the idea of cats having racial memory though since cats from parents who had no prior litter training in their history get the hint slower in my experience. Susan had the idea straight away though she got her nose rubbed in a couple of messes, but in one case it wasn't entirely her fault, someone had shut the door to the bedroom where her litter box was.
The first day I had her she was actually asleep in the back of her litter box (it's a two part shell similar to a hard case pet carrier with a filter in the back), so I wondered if she was using it.
I will admit though Susan is very good about using her litter, she's become my most obsessive cat ever, even if it's wet she'll still use it instead of going elsewhere (she was staying with my mother at the time), I usually give it a good run through at least every 2-3 days since she's not fully grown, but I'll usually turn it every day at least and get out the bigger clumps though.
Cats don't like dirty boxes, so you really need to scoop out all matter, both poop and pee, at least once a day, better twice. If you don't, you may end up having problems with your cats going elsewhere.

Dirty boxes can also foster infections such as urinary tract infections or impacted anal glands.

Please don't "rub their noses in it" this does not teach them anything but to fear you and to think it is bad to go to the bathroom at all.

Tags
baby , box , cat , cats , clean , cold , feral , foster , found , fun , funny , hey , introduction , kitten , kittens , kitties , kitty , litter , litter box , love , mat , nervous , nose , pee , peeing , pet , play , poop , problems , question , scratch , shelter , strays , training , wild

Sponsored Cat Links