It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-11-2009   #1 (permalink)
lilalienangel

Default Please help kitty pychological issues

I have a cat named Momma Kitty. I inherited her after the nieghbors moved and left her. I know that this cat has had ahernia once well the neighbors had her.

All was well when I first brought her in. Then my brother moved in with his cat. That is when the territorial pissings began. This naturally irratated me. So I did my typical no no, bad kitty thing while tapping her nose. I realized then that this cat has never had any sort of disipline and all it did was scare her so the problem continued. One day I decided my best bet was to toss her outside. Well I missed and much to my dismay she hit the doorframe. She stayed outside for a few weeks with no issues. Then she came up missing. She was missing for about 2 weeks when I smelled something funny in my closet. Upon investigation I found her in the closet with urine and feces all around her. I decided to let her stay in and provided a litterbox. She has only had problems not using the litterbox when I am not prompt in cleaning it. The problem is that she has not left the closet since that day. She comes out only at night to eat. The only way I know this is the rapidly disappearing cat food at night. I pulled her out to brush her one day. She purred and ovbiously enjoyed it but as soon as she could she could she darted back to the closet and pissed on herself. I am an animal lover and it upsets me deeply that this cat refuses to live a normal life. I would love nothing more then for her to come out of the closet and allow me to love her and treat her well. I just don't know how I can do that with her mental issues. If you have any advice at all please tell me. I almost think putting her down would be less cruel then allowing her to live this pathetic exsistance. I REALLY DO NOT want to do that.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-11-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

Oh, I'm sorry you are having such issues. To be honest I have no experience in dealing with this, but Momma Kitty sounds deeply traumatised. Something bad must have happened when you put her outside.

Please don't give up on her - and keep checking the site, there will be people who can help you when they read your post

Heidi x

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-11-2009   #3 (permalink)
lilalienangel

I wanted to add that she has been in there for 2 months now.

Unread 05-11-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

First of all, Momma Kitty needs a visit to the vet. She may have a urinary tract infection, which is what caused her to pee outside of the litter box

She may have other health issues too. Stress can cause illness in cats, and this kitty has been through unimaginable stress.

Please take her to the vet, have a urinalysis done and blood work to check for organ damage. Once she gets a clean bill of health, or treatment for illness, teaching her to love and trust again can begin in earnest.

I suggest you get some feliway plug in diffusers to help her feel more secure. You can also add rescue remedy to her food or water, this too will help.

Keep her litter box sparkling clean and allow her to live in the closet for now. Let her adjust at her own pace. She's been abandoned by people she thought loved her and hurt by you. (I am not judging) it is going to take time for her to learn to trust again.

Give her all the time she needs. Don't tap her nose or strike her in any other way. Treat her with love and respect.

Continue to visit her as often as you can, continue to groom her daily since she likes it, continue to keep her litter box pristine. Be there for her, but don't force her.

Hopefully someday she will venture out on her own and that will be a great day for all!!

But please do get her to the vet for a thorough check up, and be sure the vet knows all you have told us here.

Please keep us updated on Momma Kitty.

(info on feliway and rescue remedy can be found in the links in my signature. I get them at entirelypets.com)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 05-11-2009   #5 (permalink)
lilalienangel

Duely noted. I have been wanting to get her to a vet for awhile now. Unfortunatly, I am a single mother who was layed off. Due to the current economic crisis I have not found another one as of yet. Making sure that my daughter is under a roof has to take priority. There is no A.S.P.C.A. or any other organization in this area who can help me. I really wish that people would take full responsibility of thier then this would not be an issue.

!!!!!!!!! While I was writing that last paragraph a lady who has made it her mission to personally help and rescue animals payed me a visit. We are trying to find her another home. As it was I who helped unintentionally tramatize we think that someone else might have better luck as far as rehabilitaion goes. For now I am continuing to work with her. If she begins to improve before someone calls who wants her I am going to keep her and the lady said she will help pay for the vet visit. Yippy!!!!!!

Please note that I have never intentionally hurt an animal. The taps are just that taps. By no means does it hurt them. It is really annoying though. Tap your nose and see how you like it. I also think that the previous poster is correct in the statement that something else happened outside. Even for the few weeks she was outside she was very affectionate and her normal self. I think my nieghbor might have done something. I have no proof but I know he killed my beloved Gizmo. I'm sure he would have no qualms about hurting her. She is an indoor kitty now regardless. Let's just hope that her issues begin to improve so that she can be worked with.

Thank you very much.

Unread 05-11-2009   #6 (permalink)
lilalienangel

Oh yeah. I was going to tell you my plan of action as well. So keeping the litterbox clean is an ovbious. Beyond that I am going to bring her out at night. That way the baby is sleeping and things are quiet. I'll groom her and love her for longer periods of time as she adjusts. She really needs a teeth brushing but that will have to wait. I would like to use the rescue remedy but Petco doesn't carry it and I have no way to purchase it online. Due to my financial limitations I am not going to get the Comfort Zone. She has not had a problem using the litterbox since I supplied one in the closet. I think that issue has been fixed. Probably because she doesn't want to go outside again. Maybe if I offer to give her the money the rescue lady will help me purchase Rescue Remedy online. I think it is a really good idea.

Thanx again.

P.S. Urinating was not her only problem before. She was very ovbiously scent marking.

Unread 05-11-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I was going to suggest rehoming, and then wondered if that might just cause more stress. Since she allows you to groom her, and purrs, I don't think she is holding any grudges against you.

It was good of you to take her in when she was abandoned, but perhaps you are right and a new loving home, someone with the means to provide vet care, would be best for her.

I'm sorry but I don't agree with striking cats, even a "tap on the nose". I know others who also think this is okay. I do not.

I'm glad you have someone taking an interest in her.

The feliway is for more than inappropriate urination, it goes a long way toward helping a cat feel calm and secure, but if it is out of your budget, I understand.

Please do keep us updated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 05-11-2009   #8 (permalink)
alea

I am having problems with my lil guy right now going outside the box, no matter how irritating it is you cant blame them and punishing them isnt really going to help, it may make matters worse. There is obviously something wrong and thats there way of trying to let you know. Nigel is 8 years old and recently started peeing anywhere and everywhere. I brought him to the vets and he had a UTI.

Unread 05-11-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alea View Post
I am having problems with my lil guy right now going outside the box, no matter how irritating it is you cant blame them and punishing them isnt really going to help, it may make matters worse. There is obviously something wrong and thats there way of trying to let you know. Nigel is 8 years old and recently started peeing anywhere and everywhere. I brought him to the vets and he had a UTI.
Hurray for you on your quick action in getting Nigel to the vet. UTIs are very painful for cats, and you may already know this but I will mention it anyway, can become fatal in males, as they can block suddenly and without warning. Once blocked a kitty will die in 24 hours without veterinary treatment.

While females are less prone to blockage, still they are very uncomfortable, in pain, if they have a UTI or crystals forming in their urine, and as you have stated, will avoid the litter box, partly to communicate to the human that there is something wrong, and also because they blame the box for their pain.

I hope Nigel is all better now.
Unread 05-11-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Hi, welcome to the forum. I'm proud of you as you are kind enough to take Momma Kitty in, when she was abandoned by her previous heartless owner !!
I understand your financial situation, but as long as you are willing to help, I always believe when there is a will, there is a way !
I must agree with Acer and Alea, that punishing a cat is never an option (even if it's just a tap on its nose), coz she will associate it with you, and not with her action. And as all that have been said by previous posters, Momma Kitty has had traumatic experiences in her life (being abandoned and bullied when she was outside the house), it is ABSOLUTELY NOT for her to bear more stress. And as mentioned by Acer, stress can lead to illness, especially kidney failure, and this will cost even more medical cost ! So, yes, just let her take time to gain back trust and love, let her feel rest assured that she will not be abandoned any more. Good that you try your best to spend time with her, grooming her, (she apparently likes it too... lol..) this is helpful and I too used to do it for our bonding time...
Bless your heart and give her my furry hugs and kisses too ! Please keep us updated.

PS : Yes, it's good to always keep the litter box clean and shine ... a kitty is born to be a clean animal that hates dirty litter box.

Last edited by Irene Jims; 05-11-2009 at 11:59 PM.

Tags
advice , affectionate , animal , another cat , baby , birth , box , care , cat , cat food , changed , clean , cleaning , crisis , eating , eco , eye , fast , fixed , food , found , fun , funny , girl , great , groom , heat , hiding , home , hurt , indoor , infection , internet , kitty , links , litterbox , lost , love , mat , medical , missing , mistake , money , night , nose , pee , peeing , poop , prayers , problem , problems , rescue , save , sleeping , stories , story , stress , territorial , type , urine , uti , vet , window

Sponsored Cat Links