It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-16-2009   #1 (permalink)
mozy&simby

Default Spaying issue, help please

Hello there. I have two cats, sister cats from the same litter who are 11 months old. One is called mozart and the other simba. Bengal cats. Anyway, mozart got spayed a while back. Around january or Febuary. When she came home, simba took to her quite well. Didn't have any problems. Maybe hissed at her about once, and then she seemed to realize that nothing was wrong.

Well, we brought simba home from getting spayed on thursday of last weeek, and since shes been home, mozart has been very mean to her. Hissing growling and even launched at her a couple of times and tries to take a swipe. She stalks her sometimes as well, and i know its probbably because of the smell. I know simba must smell a little different.

the breeder we got them from back last year has told us just to rub talcom powder on them to get them to smell the same and go about our business as normal and show equal ammounts of attention, but it doesn't seem to be working.

in fact, simba is becomign quite frightened and is normally a gentle cat, and loves her sister to bits. She used to try and go up and get close to her sister when she came home, but now she just seems to run away every time mozart comes near because mozart hisses and growls if she can even se her.

I dont want their relationship to be damaged by something i possibly could have prevented by getting them done at the same time.

Someone please help. I dont want my cats to hate aechother. I'm trying to give them the same ammounts of attention but one of my cats, Mozart wont sit with me as normal or behave normally if her sister is in the room or close by. we dont want mozart to feel like shes not lvoed anymore but we are forced to shout NO NO mozart when she tries to attack her sister.

We are at a loss and simba has been sitting with me like she normally does, and i dont want mozart to think that i dont care for her anymore, because they both normally sit on my lap together. In fact they are normally ALWAYS together. and have been since birth. I'm at a loss and scared their relationship wont get better if this goes on much longer. Someone , any advice?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-16-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Hi, welcome to you and to Mozart and Simba. Your problem sounds normal. It's all said -- the smell, especially after the surgery, a cat will smell like vet (which they hate). It is usually also jealousy that occurs from giving more attention to Simba, who smells weird (but this is normal too, since you have to take a special care of her, after spay operation- a major surgery). The idea of using the baby powder is theoretically correct, but if it doesn't work, try to temporarily separate them, for at least a week, don't force them to be together at once right after the operation for the safety of Simba so her wound can heal (it will take at least 2 weeks for the stitch to get removed - in the mean time, you can put a protection collar on Simba to avoid her to lick or bite her own wound). Sharing the same scent is the method to get them back together -- rub yourself against the edge of their mouth or tail (I used to do that after we got home from a walk outdoor and it works instantly). So the three of you will share the same odor of scent.
Be rest assured, this problem will not persist too long. As time goes by, they will also be back to normal, especially after Simba fully recovers. You will be able to have both of them on your lap again ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-16-2009   #3 (permalink)
mozy&simby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene Jims View Post
Hi, welcome to you and to Mozart and Simba. Your problem sounds normal. It's all said -- the smell, especially after the surgery, a cat will smell like vet (which they hate). It is usually also jealousy that occurs from giving more attention to Simba, who smells weird (but this is normal too, since you have to take a special care of her, after spay operation- a major surgery). The idea of using the baby powder is theoretically correct, but if it doesn't work, try to temporarily separate them, for at least a week, don't force them to be together at once right after the operation for the safety of Simba so her wound can heal (it will take at least 2 weeks for the stitch to get removed - in the mean time, you can put a protection collar on Simba to avoid her to lick or bite her own wound). Sharing the same scent is the method to get them back together -- rub yourself against the edge of their mouth or tail (I used to do that after we got home from a walk outdoor and it works instantly). So the three of you will share the same odor of scent.
Be rest assured, this problem will not persist too long. As time goes by, they will also be back to normal, especially after Simba fully recovers. You will be able to have both of them on your lap again ...

Hiya. Yeah, i decided to try something the vet suggested and just bought some feliway diffuser to try and calm down the situation. Supprisingly, mozart was the one that had a tough surgery, and had to go to the vet several times and simba never really treated her differently. Simba doesn't even want to lick her stitches and hasn't needed the collar. We have one just in case, but if she doesn't lick it then we wont put it on. which she hasn't and shes been doing really well. i've been keeping an eye on them and haven't really been seperating them but havent been forcing them together. I can't make them. but my husband is autistic and its really upsetting to him, but hopefully these diffuser's will calm the place down...?

I dunno. i think its worth it though to try anything. Uhg. hope that mkes sense. I mean mozart has been friendly with us. as long as she can't see her sister. We've been keeping them both in our room at night nd normally we leave them in the kitchhen. so i guess we can only try, its just so hard to seem them this way. They used to love eachother. Its so hard to watch and very upsettting to the whole family.

Unread 05-16-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Each kitty has different personality... So if she doesn't lick it then there is no point to put it on her...
Sorry I forgot to mention the Felliway diffuser... it usually works to calm down the irritated ones, including your husband...LOLOL... and since you're getting it.. then GREAT, QUICKLY GET ONE !
Please keep us updated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 05-16-2009   #5 (permalink)
marlene

Hi everybody.
It´s normal the angry reations, my SALOMÃO took almost one month to adapt to the young BORGES...
(Salomão is now 18 months and Borges is 9 months old)
When we brought the small one home, SALOMÃO was even angry with us during a couple days, but with some patience they´ll sooner or later adapted each other.
Why don´t you try to keep them separated, so they can adapt firt to he smell of eachother...if there´s a door between theme, they´ll get curious of eachother too...
Don´t dispear, be patient and you´ll enjoy the future relashonship of theme, it´s beautifull...
If only they could talk...
See you.

Unread 05-16-2009   #6 (permalink)
mozy&simby

yeah its just, they've known eachother all their life and i hate to see them fighting like this. its so upsetting. And yeah i've already ordered the diffuser so hopefully it will get here soon.

Unread 05-17-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

The very first words out of my key board (other than welcome!) was going to be to get some feliway plug in diffusers.

I would not use talcum powder, the cats will ingest it, ick.

You can put a little dot of cooking vanilla (not perfume) on the nose and tail root of both cats, this will help them smell the same.

As has been said, this is a normal reaction and will pass as Simba gets smelling like Simba again. It's only been four days, and cats have very sensitive noses.

One thing to keep in mind. Mozart may be one of those cats who has a real aversion to the smell of vet. Meaning, any time Simba goes to the vet, you may go through a period of hostility with Mozart.

Being prepared...plug in the feliway, get out the vanilla, and maybe get some rescue remedy, for those times will help cut down on everyone's stress at those times.

(also Mozart may even react that way when SHE comes home from the vet)

don't favor either one. Just act as if everything is normal.

please read this first
Unread 05-17-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Default litter boxes

how many litter boxes do you have? Three, with one of those in a different spot, is ideal.

Oh and don't blame yourself. Cats have to be spayed. And doing them at the same time is no guarantee to save you from this type of problem.

I spayed two young cats at the same time, who were very happy together. One of the cats had a complication, and much pain, and from that day on she hated and tormented the other cat. for the next 13 years, until I lost her to cancer.

The other kitty lived much longer, I just had to let her go last week at age 18.

but I think yours will work it out.

please read this first
Unread 05-22-2009   #9 (permalink)
mozy&simby

Default update

Hello everyone.

well i'm happy to share good news. Our two little buggers are lovely and well. both are happy and lively again. after a week they are back to normal and much closer than before. simba is very settled now that her sister is pleased to see her again. =) and are currently fighting for the top spot on our new sofas, lol when they arent sleeping on it.

i'm so glad for all your advice and took the advice of all of it. so i dont know whats helped and what hasnt but its been a great couple of days and us parents .lol are so pleased and happy they are friends again.

cheers,

Unread 05-22-2009   #10 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Stressed
Ceri Cat is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear it's settled down and the kits are happy together once more. Now if only my neighbours would settle down, the noise is upsetting Susan.

Tags
advice , age , angry , attack , baby , bengal , birth , bite , breeder , business , calm , care , cat , cats , collar , cut , eye , family , fighting , friendly , friends , great , growling , growls , happy , hey , hissing , home , joy , kitty , litter , loss , lost , love , mat , night , outdoor , problem , problems , save , scared , sleeping , small , smell , spay , spayed , stitches , stress , surgery , type , upset , vet , weird

Sponsored Cat Links