It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-28-2009   #1 (permalink)
tmborden

Default Can a cat be comfortable in two homes/territories?

It's looking somewhat likely that our family - my wife, our cat Snoop, and I - may be splitting time between two homes in about a year. We have all been living full time in the same home for about 9 years now but starting next June we may need to be living 6 months a year here, and six months a year on my in-laws' ranch a few hours away. We're concerned about how Snoop is going to deal with that because we have always known that cats are very particular and attached to their territory. He's an outdoor/indoor cat who comes and goes as he pleases thru a window in our house that is open 24/7/365. He usually spends about half the day inside and half out, sleeping with us in our bed most of the night. Is it even possible for an outdoor cat to go back and forth between two homes/territories without having major problems? The upside of the equation is that we think he would be very happy at the ranch - lots of mice and gophers and animals to chase. We just don't know if he would be able to deal with the back and forth. Any advice from someone with experience would be greatly appreciated.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-29-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Hi ! Welcome to you and to Snoop !

I think if Snoop is an indoor kitty, the problem will be less srious. My Princess used to live in two places (home and hubby's restaurant), with no BIG problem (still she had to deal with stress and getting used to a new surrounding) , but it's just because she is a strictly indoor cat, I was not worried she would escape and get lost on the way. But now, you'll have to consider a cat will try to escape (actually tries to go back to her "old" home) before he/she get used his/her new place. The problem is : no one can guarantee he will be able to find his way back to your home. So, in my opinion, it's too risky for him...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-29-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Hi & welcome!

To be honest, I don't see any problem. Maybe in the first days he will be a little bit confused, that's all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 06-01-2009   #4 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Stressed
Ceri Cat is on a distinguished road

Some cats are trouble. I know one of my clients, her husband had his dead wife's cat indoors at the new home for over 6 months after moving and it had been a while longer before that that she'd passed on, and the cat disappeared the first time it was let outside. I think if your cat gets used to the routine it won't be a problem, maybe keep him inside at the ranch the entire time for a couple of visits until he gets the idea it's a part of his home rather than a strange place to escape from. Indoor cats can be less stressful in these situations, Susan though is used to moving around though, when I'm not home it's not uncommon for her to stay with her uncle Drew, or if I had my car she'd come with me.

Tags
advice , car , cat , cats , family , happy , home , homes , house , indoor , kitty , lost , moving , new home , night , opinion , outdoor , problem , problems , sleeping , stress , window

Sponsored Cat Links