It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-05-2009   #1 (permalink)
Forgeteden

Question Strange behavior in pregnant cat

Hello, I'm new here, and I have some questions about my pregnant cat.

I found her about a two and a half weeks ago, and when I found her she showed no signs of pregnancy. She was sweet, loving, and fairly plump (didn't appear to be pregnant at the time). But as the days passed she grew more and more large. Her tummy is bulging out on the sides, and about a week ago the babies were kicking. Currently, they are not, AND the babies have moved to the bottom of her belly. The two back nipples are pink and encrusted with milk, and the others are starting to turn pink.

My questions are, how far along do you think she is?

And, she is making a couple of weird noises. One of them is some sort of breathing/purring thing that sounds like a pigeon cooing. Another noise she makes is sort of an "annoyed cat noise" she'll moan and do one of those low growl/meows that cats do when they are really annoyed, even though nobody is touching her or anywhere near her. Sometimes she'll meow and hiss when nobody's around. She sounds EXTREMELY uncomfortable.

She used to love having her belly pet - she'd purr and cuddle into you. Now, if you so much as touch it lightly, she'll hiss and growl and scratch/bite at you. This behavior started a little over a week ago, and she's only gotten more and more grouchy.

So my main question is, are these normal pregnancy behaviors? Or should I be concerned?

Btw, I called the Pet ER (because we dont have enough money to take her down to the Vet yet) and told them about these behaviors, and even they were stumped. The man on the other end told me they were signs of labour, but she hasn't really nested anywhere, nor does she look like she's less than 24 hours away (not all nipples have started to lactate, nor is she having any contractions, and she hasn't been licking herself)

Any help would be appreciated!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-05-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Hi, welcome to you and to expecting meowmy ! Concats for taking this affectionate meowmy who let you rub her belly ... I'm so happy for you !

I have the feeling that the time is soon, maybe sooner than you think. The signs she is showing are truly telling me that. But how come her nipples have not started to lactate and especially why she isn't feeling good and has not even started to have contractions... please keep an eagle eye on this issue. Call the Pet ER again, focusing on this subject. Just in case, I think you still need to call the vet or maybe get her inspected/diagnosed more accurately. Thanks again for taking her in and providing her with a loving home she ever needs.

May God provide you with all your needs !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-05-2009   #3 (permalink)
Forgeteden

Hey, thanks for replying to my issue!

Her two back nipples are the only ones that are lactating, but the other ones are pink and may lactate any day. I'm going to try to call the vet and make an appointment tomorrow - hopefully they'll know something.

This could be her first pregnancy. I'm not sure if it matters, but I think some first time mommies aren't sure what to do. Unless its instinct, of course, but she's still pretty young.

Unread 06-06-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Yes, probably, she's an inexperienced nervous young meowmy...(how "young" is she ?) hopefully the vet can rule out things for you. Wish you both all the best. Please keep us updated.

PS : Any pix ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 06-06-2009   #5 (permalink)
Forgeteden

We believe she's maybe less than a year old, but there's no telling for sure. She's very little - and has skinny shoulders and a small head. Her belly is WAY to round for her, lol.

Yeah I have some pictures :] I'll post 'em! However there are no recent pictures as of yet. These pictures were taken about a week ago, maybe longer. I'll post an updated picture with her big belly!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 002.jpg (77.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 003.jpg (74.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 001.jpg (81.7 KB, 13 views)

Unread 06-06-2009   #6 (permalink)
Forgeteden

New pictures of Pumpkin's belly! It looks smaller in the pictures than it really is, haha.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 004.jpg (66.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 007.jpg (57.9 KB, 14 views)

Unread 06-07-2009   #7 (permalink)
Maddmag2

I would say bite the bullet & get her to a vet. Borrow the money if you have to. She is behaving as though she is in pain or distress.

Unread 06-07-2009   #8 (permalink)
Maddmag2

have you had her to a vet to check for worms? the belly will bloat if that is her issue. all kiitens get worms from the mothers milk. if that is her problem, she has a lot of them. they take all the nutrition she eats leaving only a big belly as they grow & multiply.

Unread 06-07-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Expecting meowmy is so adorable, I'm pretty much convinced she will give birth to lovely kittens.
However, I have to agree with Maddmag2, I supposed she was wormed once you got her, but if not, then the risk is high for her to pass down the worm to her kittens, and her kittens will not get enough nutrition from her, so they will usually be born malnourished. But, don't worry, we still can fix this problem after the kittens are weaned by meowmy (approx. 6-8 weeks), then get them to the vet for worming, vaccinations... And when you feed them, feed ONLY kitten food, separated from mom who eats adult food (but during pregnancy and nursing period, give mom also some extra nutrition and kitten food that is good for them all, I know "Choice" is the brand that I used to recommend cat owners having this problem), add some extra nutrition to kittens's food.
Extra nutrition may include :
Vitamins (drops), Nutri-cal (high calorie palatable dietary supplement with Ginseng formula-good for recovery and immune system, dried anchovies), etc.
But please remember to get them all wormed before giving all these, otherwise, it will be a waste.
Keep us updated, please, thanks !

Unread 06-07-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Smile

Hi & welcome!

Your Pumpkin is fab, concats!
Did you already take her to the vet?? I think it would be the best in this case.

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)

Tags
angry , annoyed , babies , behavior , belly , birth , bite , box , breathing , care , cat , cats , dry , eye , eyes , fast , food , found , girl , great , growl , hey , hiding , hiss , home , kitten food , kitty , labour , licking , lost , love , loving , mat , meowing , money , moving , nutrition , pet , pregnancy , pregnant , problem , scratch , small , strange behavior , uncomfortable , vet , water , weaned , weird , worry

Sponsored Cat Links