It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-05-2009   #1 (permalink)
facebones

Default Questions about new kitten

hey everyone. this is my first time coming across this site. hopefully i can get some help. i have a 9 month old male cat and to keep him company, my husband and i just got another male kitten. it was an impulsive move and we got him from a nearby pet store. they said he was two months old. we brought him home and noticed things about him. he is very small and seems malnourished. he is all bones. there are also a lot of signs that he might be a lot younger than 2 months. his ears dont stand straight up, they kind of curve. he always has his claws extended even while walking. he suckles on our clothes, fingers, ears, etc. but he wont bottle feed. he also doesnt eat hard food. he has horrible fleas. we noticed he has pale gums. also, he eats the kitty litter but wont use the bathroom there. he pees where ever he is at. i know we should take him to the vet asap but wont be able to until after the weekend. ive researched the pet store and came across a forum where many people said negative things about it. we're worried because the kitten is obviously not in the best of health. the pet store gave us his records saying he had his shots but it seems like a shady place so we cant be too sure about that. i hope this is enough information to go on. if anyone can please give us advice, it will be greatly appreciated. maybe we are being dramatic, but we worry that he could die and we want to do whatever to prevent that.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-06-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Hi, good heart facebones, I'm moved by your post, as you said that you want to do whatever you can to save him from dying. No, you're not being dramatic at all ! You react just as other cat lovers do.
Yes, he's obviously not in a good shape, he must be malnourished (*Grrrrr to the awful pet shop owner !!!!!!). But, don't worry, I had the same experience with my Lady Fergie, only I didn't get him from a pet shop, instead, I rescued her from the bush at the entrance to the church, and she was meowing to me, trying to get my attention and be rescued. In such a condition, I IMMEDIATELY took her to the vet, and that saved her little life (she looked smaller than her actual age too). She got fleas all over her, very nervous, weak & dirty, apparently I was the only person she trusted. She was immediatelly properly treated (wormed, flea treated, dehydration......). She was confined to be focused and fed with baby food chicken paste (Gerber's), and all kinds of vitamin drops, and most of all with Nutri-Cal- high calorie palatable dietary supplement with ginseng formula (which strenghtened her immune and improved her appetite), soon after, she gained back her appetie and got stronger and stronger each day !

So, I'm possitive that you'll be able to save your little one. What is his name ? And the name of his big brother ? Pictures will be appreciated.

Oh yes, welcome ! I'm Irene, from Taipei, Taiwan and proudly owned by my three adorable kitties who I love equally and unconditionally ! You can see them in my profile's album and my photo/my album at the Cat Pictures section.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-06-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Welcome!!xxxxxxxx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)

Last edited by krzekmaya; 06-22-2009 at 12:49 AM.
Unread 06-06-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
maggiemay is on a distinguished road

Poor little thing, could you give him a quick bath to get rid of some of the fleas? They will be sucking the life out of him, and try some baby food or kitten food (the wet kind), it sounds like this poor thing is a lot younger than two months which is far too young to leave it's mom please be patient with him as he probably doesn't know what the litter tray is for yet as his mom would normally teach him, I do hope that he makes it, and welcome to you and your fur-babies.
Former mom to: Rosie, Tigger, Samson, Smokey, Maggiemay, Tasha, Abby, Coco, SmokeyJr, Merlin, and Merlin Jr, Gracie, and Samson Jr, I left you all in Canada with the exception of Rosie and Tigger who I know are no longer with us! I hope that you are all happy, and I'm sorry I couldn't bring you with me!
Unread 06-06-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

The pale gums could mean your cat is possibly anemic (from the fleas sucking out the blood). Do you feed him canned wet food? From what I've learned, the canned food will help the kittens put on weight, but you have to be careful not to feed too much at a time (stomach upsets can happen) or you could try mushing up the kibble with a bit of kitten milk. I hope everything works out with your kitten! Do please keep us posted
Unread 06-14-2009   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

angelhrvatica is on a distinguished road

Oh my God! First of all.. someone needs to go to that pet shop and give the owners a VERY HARD TIME. If he can't retract his claws, he is not only not 8 weeks but he may be less than FOUR WEEKS. He *would* die without someone diligant looking out for him like you, so God bless you for that.

He is probably malnourished due to fleas.. Pale gums mean anemia. Anemia may also come from Leukemia, so keep him away from your other cat until you can get him seen by a vet- which I urge you to do QUICKLY.

Also - cat food is probably not enought at this age. Please go to your local petsmart or other pet supply store and purchase a supply of "KMR" Kitten Milk Replacement and feed him that 3-4 times a day, along with canned food two to three times a day. If he doesn't finish it all, that's okay .. but if he's malnourished you want to provide him all he can and will eat to put on some weight and fight the anemia and whatever is causing it!
Unread 06-14-2009   #7 (permalink)
Yankeefanjenn

Default update

What happened! Can we have an update pleaseeee!

Unread 06-21-2009   #8 (permalink)
facebones

Default update!

thanks for all the feedback everyone! we took our kitten, squishy, to the vet and found out he wasnt even 6 weeks old. he weighed only a pound. was malnourished and the fleas were sucking him dry. its very sad. the poor little guy. the pet store is a horrible place and lied. they said he was 8 weeks, had his shots and was dewormed. according to the vet, that couldnt be possible because the kitten didnt weigh enough. his little body wouldnt be able to handle shots. we had him dewormed while he was there and also had drops put on his neck for his fleas. they helped A LOT. we have our hands full with him right now because he is so young and sickly. he's been eating a lot more the past couple of days. he cries a lot, which is probably due to him being separated from his mother so young. he still has diarrhea though. could that be due to the canned food or could he possibly have worms? he's really frail. you can still feel his ribs and spine. he sleeps ALL day. i know cats sleep a lot in general but im not sure what his reasons could be. maybe its because he is so young? or maybe its because he is sick... he also has little to no interest to playing with toys. luckily our other cat, toki, has become a big brother to him and tries to take care of him. we are going to take him to the vet again in a couple of weeks to have another check up. my husband and i kind of feel guilty. normally. we'd never get a pet from a pet store, but when we saw how horrible it was there and how helpless squishy seemed, we had to rescue him. in doing so, we just supported the pet store and helped them continue the cycle. according to the vet, the pet store has been reported time and time again and nothing is being done. its so frustrating. i want justice for these animals but it seems like people dont care. i'll post pictures as soon as i can. unfortunately i misplaced my camera. i'll keep everyone updated!

Unread 06-21-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by facebones View Post
thanks for all the feedback everyone! we took our kitten, squishy, to the vet and found out he wasnt even 6 weeks old. he weighed only a pound. was malnourished and the fleas were sucking him dry. its very sad. the poor little guy. the pet store is a horrible place and lied. they said he was 8 weeks, had his shots and was dewormed. according to the vet, that couldnt be possible because the kitten didnt weigh enough. his little body wouldnt be able to handle shots. we had him dewormed while he was there and also had drops put on his neck for his fleas. they helped A LOT. we have our hands full with him right now because he is so young and sickly. he's been eating a lot more the past couple of days. he cries a lot, which is probably due to him being separated from his mother so young. he still has diarrhea though. could that be due to the canned food or could he possibly have worms? he's really frail. you can still feel his ribs and spine. he sleeps ALL day. i know cats sleep a lot in general but im not sure what his reasons could be. maybe its because he is so young? or maybe its because he is sick... he also has little to no interest to playing with toys. luckily our other cat, toki, has become a big brother to him and tries to take care of him. we are going to take him to the vet again in a couple of weeks to have another check up. my husband and i kind of feel guilty. normally. we'd never get a pet from a pet store, but when we saw how horrible it was there and how helpless squishy seemed, we had to rescue him. in doing so, we just supported the pet store and helped them continue the cycle. according to the vet, the pet store has been reported time and time again and nothing is being done. its so frustrating. i want justice for these animals but it seems like people dont care. i'll post pictures as soon as i can. unfortunately i misplaced my camera. i'll keep everyone updated!
Thanks for the updates, without you, Squishy would have been dead at that awful petshop !!! *Grrrr !* Yes, you're right, justice must be found for the sake of those poor animals. Just can't understand why authorities seem unable to practice justice toward the pet store's repeated acts !! I guess you need to unite with other witnesses (pet owners and vets), collect some hard evidence and report again.

Unread 06-22-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
maggiemay is on a distinguished road

I do hope that Squishy survives, have you tried contacting the RSPCA or the equivalent in your country? They should be able to help get the shop closed down!
Former mom to: Rosie, Tigger, Samson, Smokey, Maggiemay, Tasha, Abby, Coco, SmokeyJr, Merlin, and Merlin Jr, Gracie, and Samson Jr, I left you all in Canada with the exception of Rosie and Tigger who I know are no longer with us! I hope that you are all happy, and I'm sorry I couldn't bring you with me!

Tags
advice , angry , animal , baby , breathing , camera , canned food , care , cat , cat lovers , cats , claws , confined , crying , depressed , diarrhea , dry , eating , feedback , fleas , food , found , health , hey , home , internet , kitten , kitten food , kitty , litter , male , meowing , new kitten , pet , pictures , playing , profile , rescue , sad , save , sick , sleeping , small , smart , toys , vet , wet food , worry

Sponsored Cat Links