It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-10-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Jenpie is on a distinguished road
Default Kitten question

We recently got a new kitten, he is about 13 weeks old. The introduction with him to our other cat went VERY well. They accepted each other and bonded almost instantly. In the past few days she has been very motherly towards him, always keeping an eye on him and licking him all the time. He accepts this and sometimes licks her back. This morning we woke up and saw him nursing on her, obviously there is no milk or anything but it was still surprising to see. She didn't care at all and was just laying there. Keep in mind that she used to be a breeder girl, but only ever had one live kitten that died in a day or two. I think the breeder said that she never even nursed it. That was back in February I think (We got her in early April), I think her kittens would've been a month or so older then this guy. We feel like she's "adopted" the new kitten, which I don't think is a problem it's just the nursing that is. What should we do about this? Will he stop trying to nurse eventually or should we be stopping it?

Thanks for your help.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-10-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

What a sweet story ! I don't think you should stop this "adoption". You're lucky they bonded almost instantly ! Your new addition has become a gift to her, and I think we need to have a bigger heart to be happy for them (a kitten who found a meowmy and a meowmy who found the child she ever wanted).
BTW, next mother's day will be a very special day for both of them ....
Please post pictures ...it would be the sweetest pictures I ever wish to see !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-10-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Hi & welcome!

Cannot wait to see pix!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 06-10-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

Hi there Jenpie! It sounds like you have been very fortunate for them to bond together so well, I wouldn't try to stop it, it may do more harm than good and it will probably fizzle out as he gets a little older. It's not as though you have taken him in as a very young cat who still needs his mother, probably more of a comfort thing being in his new home.
It would be lovely to see some pics - you know how much we love them

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Unread 06-11-2009   #5 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
che is on a distinguished road

Hi Jen.I'm Cheryl.What a lovely story.You are so lucky they bonded.I wouldn't worry about this,when I adopted my Siamese mix,Finn,he would go to Bolan and try nursing,Bolan would let him do it.He still does,and Finn is now 1yr old.Best part about it though,Bolan is a boy.LOL.Have you any pics of them?xxxxx
Unread 06-11-2009   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

I put up pictures of both cats individually. It's harder to get a good one of both together, I did post one of Marmelaide licking Max.

Thanks for the advice. We have just been allowing him to suckle, we decided it won't do either cat harm.
Unread 06-11-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenpie View Post
I put up pictures of both cats individually. It's harder to get a good one of both together, I did post one of Marmelaide licking Max.

Thanks for the advice. We have just been allowing him to suckle, we decided it won't do either cat harm.
Of curse it won't. My Earl used to do it to my Lady. hehe ! This helped them bond.
Oh his name is Max, will see his picture right away.

Unread 06-11-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Oh, Max is really gorgeous, and CUTE at the same time ! I love the first picture of him and Marmelaide cuddling together... how sweet !

Unread 06-12-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road

They almost look like Bengal cats to me... Max is so cute! Especially in that upside-down shot.
Unread 06-12-2009   #10 (permalink)
Newborn

They are both Bengal cats. We adopted Marmelaide as an adult several months ago and then we got Maximus just a week ago.

Thanks for all the picture comments!

Tags
addition , adopted , adoption , adult , advice , bengal , boy , breeder , care , cat , cats , cute , eye , foster , found , gift , girl , happy , hey , home , introduction , kitten , kittens , licking , love , lucky , morning , new home , new kitten , personality , picture , pictures , problem , question , siamese , stop , story , worry

Sponsored Cat Links