It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-15-2009   #1 (permalink)
kayNkitty

Default introducing a puppy to a territorial cat?!?!

have a female cat about a yr old and we have decided to get a pup, coming home on 5th july.

Kitty is fine with the kids pulling her about, very gentle towards the family and visitors to the house.
We looked after a lab and a springer for a weekend and she attacked them both and cornered the lab in my porch!! the dogs wouldnt go into the cats 'personal space' and went about minding their own business ignoring the cat, but the cat decided that if a dog moved she'd have it.
I've also witnessed the cat running home being chased by another neighbourhood cat but as soon as the other cat sets foot on the property my cat changes and charges in for a fight

The pup has been brought up with cats and children in the house so i am not worried about the pup, its more my cat!

any ideas on how to get the cat used to a newcomer?

i've read firstly shut them in separate rooms so they can smell each other under the door but not see or touch each other for a week or so, but that means totally isolating 1 animal from the family and i dont find that fair?

all ideas welcome!! many thanks

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-15-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Hi Kay and Kitty, welcome to the forum !
You're right, cats are territorial animals. It takes time, patience and proper handling for them to get along. Please don't ignore her or even punish her for any reason. This can be life-threatening. A friend of mine had a second kitty, and when the first kitty treated the new kitty as an intruder, she was punished by being locked in a cage. Soon after that she felt really abandoned and ignored, she fell sick and died of heart breaks !
So, please just give her some time and here is a link to an article about how to introduce them step by step, to avoid aggression that is commonly referred to as "territorial" aggression (only this article is between cats-- but I hope this will work for your pup too);

Re-Directed Aggression Towards Other Cats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-15-2009   #3 (permalink)
kayNkitty

thanks Irene i will try this idea out (on the link) just need 2 get some door wedges lol.
Kitty definatley wont get pushed out, we all love her to bits and i am a lil worried that she might run away and make a life else where which would break my heart I dont think she will but theres always a possibility, she knows shes got a kushty life here and is very much loved

Unread 06-15-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayNkitty View Post
thanks Irene i will try this idea out (on the link) just need 2 get some door wedges lol.
Kitty definatley wont get pushed out, we all love her to bits and i am a lil worried that she might run away and make a life else where which would break my heart I dont think she will but theres always a possibility, she knows shes got a kushty life here and is very much loved
Hi Kay, I got one question here : Is Kitty an indoor kitty ? Or is she indoor/outdoor ?
If she's an indoor kitty, just make sure that the doors and windows are properly closed, so she won't make that escape attempts. Another friend of mine had an experience of an indoor/outdoor kitty who "ran away" because of the owner got a new kitty...
So, better be more cautious... I know you love her so much that it will really break your heart if she runs away !
When the pup arrives, shower her even more with your love and attention !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 06-15-2009   #5 (permalink)
kayNkitty

mostly stays in the garden but will go for a wander if she feels like it lol. longest shes been out the garden is prob bout 1hr + 1/2. i kept her in for 6wks at beg off breeding season until she was neutered and she gave up trying to escape after about a week. if shes out when i go out i leave her out but shes always waiting at the door when i get back.

defo extra attention yes yes indeed!

Unread 06-15-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Bless her ! So, please keep us updated with good news !

Unread 06-15-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

Hi Kay & welcome!

Well, I can only wish you good luck... You may ask why...
My Mother used to say (& it's a fact) that if you want a dog & a cat to be friends you must bring the dog in first place & then the cat. The opposite won't work.
Good luck again & pls keep us posted...

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 06-15-2009   #8 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Stressed
Ceri Cat is on a distinguished road

Not entirely true thankfully Maya, Tigger didn't mind JJ when she first arrived, but then when you're nearly the size of a match box it's hard to be taken seriously. And the cats on the farm never worried about new dogs being introduced, Pumpkin would sleep with Wolfie and Tasha after she got it through Tasha's thick head she didn't "do" play. And the Danes were treated with caution due to size. I'd guess it's more to do with being used to having others in your space that helps.

Best of luck though Kay, getting them used to one another will be a struggle, but eventually Kitty will either thaw or just ignore the pup for the most part going off my past experience. The attitude to the other dogs was most likely because they definitely didn't belong there, they were just passing through. You might find having an old t-shirt or jacket that'll fit on pup that smells of the family helps the process.
Unread 06-16-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri Cat View Post
Not entirely true thankfully Maya, Tigger didn't mind JJ when she first arrived, but then when you're nearly the size of a match box it's hard to be taken seriously. And the cats on the farm never worried about new dogs being introduced, Pumpkin would sleep with Wolfie and Tasha after she got it through Tasha's thick head she didn't "do" play. And the Danes were treated with caution due to size. I'd guess it's more to do with being used to having others in your space that helps.

Best of luck though Kay, getting them used to one another will be a struggle, but eventually Kitty will either thaw or just ignore the pup for the most part going off my past experience. The attitude to the other dogs was most likely because they definitely didn't belong there, they were just passing through. You might find having an old t-shirt or jacket that'll fit on pup that smells of the family helps the process.
Thank God someone came up with this great idea that brings hope ... so still don't be discouraged, Kay. Fingers crossed !

Unread 06-16-2009   #10 (permalink)
kayNkitty

that is a good idea! i can use 1 of my daughters dolls jackets lol. the pup is a german shepherd x dalmation, at the mo its smaller than Kitty but in 3 weeks time it could be bigger!

Tags
advice , animal , baby , birth , box , breeding , business , cat , cats , children , cool , dog , dogs , family , female , friends , great , hey , home , house , indoor , indoor/outdoor , kitty , litter , love , outdoor , play , problem , puppy , question , scratch , sleep , small , smell , struggle , territorial , wild , worry

Sponsored Cat Links