It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-18-2009   #1 (permalink)
Phrive

Default Pregnant Cat Advice...

I'm looking for advice on something that people have already asked for, whoever after multiple searches I havent been able to find answers to the specifics i am looking for, and would be very grateful if someone could give me the answers i need.

I'll start with the background I've had the cat for around a year, have had her since she was a kitten. I have a fair date when she was last on heat, well actually a precise date, but should i date how far along she is from when she started or when shes stopped a conservative estimate somewhere in the middle? This is kinda immaterial but....

The main thing is that her belly is massively moving, and it is noticeable from just looking at her, which started today, although it was minorly doing it the last few days, she also began to nest today, shes not eaten like she normally has done through out her labour, and she is either looking for a nest (she has multiple which are dotted around safe places in the house which i have made for her) or lying on her side and sleeping ALOT! she also seems to be cooler and have measured her temperature and it is slightly lower than what i have seen to be the general temperature of cats, and also compared to out other (unpregnated) cat.

Do you think that she has long left, becauce what i have seen about on the web, i should expect it within hours and not days....

Last edited by Phrive; 06-18-2009 at 09:38 AM.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-18-2009   #2 (permalink)
veronicab

Hi Phrive

Count the days from the start of her heat and also from the end of her heat, and you've got a window of time when birth is likely.

Cats don't always show the temperature drop that dogs do, so that's not necessarily an indicator of imminent birth. There's always the chance of some variation in body temperature between animals too. So, rather than relying on her temperature compared to other cats, check her temperature yourself over a period of time and see if it is dropping. If it drops to below 99F, that can indicate that birth will occur within 24-36 hours.

Cats can also start nesting as much as a week before delivery, so that's not always terribly reliable either.

You've described her as off her food. Other behavioral changes you can expect are restlessness, pacing and panting, and they may be a better indicator of birth than temperature or nesting. With the activity level of the kittens, and her not eating, I think you're right, it's not that far off at all!

Good luck, let us know how she gets on.

Veronica

Disclaimer: I am a vet.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-19-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by veronicab View Post
Hi Phrive

Count the days from the start of her heat and also from the end of her heat, and you've got a window of time when birth is likely.

Cats don't always show the temperature drop that dogs do, so that's not necessarily an indicator of imminent birth. There's always the chance of some variation in body temperature between animals too. So, rather than relying on her temperature compared to other cats, check her temperature yourself over a period of time and see if it is dropping. If it drops to below 99F, that can indicate that birth will occur within 24-36 hours.

Cats can also start nesting as much as a week before delivery, so that's not always terribly reliable either.

You've described her as off her food. Other behavioral changes you can expect are restlessness, pacing and panting, and they may be a better indicator of birth than temperature or nesting. With the activity level of the kittens, and her not eating, I think you're right, it's not that far off at all!

Good luck, let us know how she gets on.

Veronica

Disclaimer: I am a vet.
Wow ! That's really something ! We can learn from the vet ! Thanks for the contribution ! And welcome to both of you, Veronica and Phrive !
And Phrive, concats on your kitty's pregnancy, just remember to get her spayed once the kittens are weaned ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 06-19-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Hi Phrive, hi Veronica welcome both!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 06-24-2009   #5 (permalink)
veronicab

Hey Phrive

Any news?? We're waiting with baited breath <G>

Unread 06-24-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by veronicab View Post
Hey Phrive

Any news?? We're waiting with baited breath <G>
Hehehe ! Yes, I am !

Tags
advice , art , belly , birth , cat , cats , dogs , eating , food , heat , hey , house , kitten , kittens , kitty , labour , moving , not eating , pregnancy , pregnant , sleeping , spayed , vet , weaned , window

Sponsored Cat Links