It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-20-2009   #1 (permalink)
hellzie

Unhappy problems and problems..help! :]

hey guys,
I'm new to these forums and had a few questions i hope the experts can help with. My sisters friend gave her a 2 month old male persian tabby (pics attached) a month ago. This friend hadnt been taking care of the kitten at all. As this was our first pet I took it straight to the vets for a check up and vaccination. He had fleas which we took care of with flea shampoo. Other than this he had watery eyes and was sneezing 4-5 times a day. After the vaccination (3 days in a row) the vet asked me to give it Amoxicillin (antibiotic) for 5 days via a dropper and some eyedrops called Optoflox. Meanwhile as the friend had suggested we fed it this cat food called Whiskas, along with baby food and slightly diluted milk.

the problem now is, its been a month since we got the kitten and he still has slightly watery eyes throughout the day and is sneezing a couple of times every day as well. I took it back to the vet who now has a change of opinion and says "persian cats have watery eyes, its normal". When i told him about it sneezing a couple of times a day he told me to change the Whiskas cat food (which he claimed can cause allergies) and he cleaned its ears of mites which he said could travel to the nose and cause sneezing. As this is the only vet in the city i wanted a second opinion here.

I changed his food from Whiskas to "Purina Cat Chow" upon the doctors suggestion. Its been just a day since he started having this cat food and today when i scooped the litter box with a spatula, i find his poop (i'm sorry, this is disgusting) instead of the usual dark color was yellow'ish.

My apologies for the lengthy post - i just thought i'd brief you as much as possible on his history before asking
1) Is this yellowish poop related to the change in cat food yesterday?
2) Is it normal? his poop for the past month has been dark and uh..cylindrical
3) Is sneezing 4-5 times a day normal for a kitten? he does sneak in behind the tele or under the bed where there might be dust. After we gave it Amoxicillin for 5 days, his sneezing cleared up for just 3 days after which it continued. In short its been at least 2 weeks since the antiobiotic that hes had watery eyes (doc insists normal and defense mechanism) and been sneezing 3-4 times

would appreciate any help/advice at all. He's quite energetic. jumps and runs around the room all day and eats properly. Has a thing for my earlobe apparently, where he closes his eyes and keeps sucking on it whilst pawing at my face and purring. He'll do this for at least 15 minutes every time he wants to sleep ..sigh.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg one.jpg (97.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (81.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg three.jpg (91.4 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by hellzie; 06-20-2009 at 12:24 AM.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-20-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Smile Welcome aboard !

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellzie View Post
hey guys,
I'm new to these forums and had a few questions i hope the experts can help with. My sisters friend gave her a 2 month old male persian tabby (pics attached) a month ago. This friend hadnt been taking care of the kitten at all. As this was our first pet I took it straight to the vets for a check up and vaccination. He had fleas which we took care of with flea shampoo. Other than this he had watery eyes and was sneezing 4-5 times a day. After the vaccination (3 days in a row) the vet asked me to give it Amoxicillin (antibiotic) for 5 days via a dropper and some eyedrops called Optoflox. Meanwhile as the friend had suggested we fed it this cat food called Whiskas, along with baby food and slightly diluted milk.

the problem now is, its been a month since we got the kitten and he still has slightly watery eyes throughout the day and is sneezing a couple of times every day as well. I took it back to the vet who now has a change of opinion and says "persian cats have watery eyes, its normal". When i told him about it sneezing a couple of times a day he told me to change the Whiskas cat food (which he claimed can cause allergies) and he cleaned its ears of mites which he said could travel to the nose and cause sneezing. As this is the only vet in the city i wanted a second opinion here.

I changed his food from Whiskas to "Purina Cat Chow" upon the doctors suggestion. Its been just a day since he started having this cat food and today when i scooped the litter box with a spatula, i find his poop (i'm sorry, this is disgusting) instead of the usual dark color was yellow'ish.

My apologies for the lengthy post - i just thought i'd brief you as much as possible on his history before asking
1) Is this yellowish poop related to the change in cat food yesterday?
2) Is it normal? his poop for the past month has been dark and uh..cylindrical
3) Is sneezing 4-5 times a day normal for a kitten? he does sneak in behind the tele or under the bed where there might be dust. After we gave it Amoxicillin for 5 days, his sneezing cleared up for just 3 days after which it continued. In short its been at least 2 weeks since the antiobiotic that hes had watery eyes (doc insists normal and defense mechanism) and been sneezing 3-4 times

would appreciate any help/advice at all. He's quite energetic. jumps and runs around the room all day and eats properly. Has a thing for my earlobe apparently, where he closes his eyes and keeps sucking on it whilst pawing at my face and purring. He'll do this for at least 15 minutes every time he wants to sleep ..sigh.
First of all I have to thank God that finally He sent someone to this kitten, someone who cares ! Bless your heart ! You're an angel ! BTW, you're lucky to own one of the most adorable and cute kittens in the world !

What a heartbreaking story you told us here ! That's the problem (and quite common) with people who want to easily adopt a pet just for own leisure and then easily abandon it, like buying a toy ! Yes, a toy doesn't need you to really care for it, but not a pet ! Apparently your sister's friend is one of them, she didn't realize it did the kitten harm.

Your vet is right in everything. All vets would start from eliminating fleas, worms, earmites (that can also affect kittens nose and eyes), then give the kitten vaccination. That's basic work that a vet needs to do with a kitten. As the eyes are still watery, and the sneezing, it's hard to tell from the picture or symptoms. The next step any vet will do is to check on his allergy (find allergen), that's why he recommends you to switch food. Allergen could be food, dust, certain fabric, certain chemical substance or anything ! This takes tests to rule out the problem.
From the picture, I almost can see that the watery eyes are caused by some sort of allergy. See how it goes after he's earmite free. Maybe your vet is right about "it's normal for persian cats to have watery eyes" -- hope other members here can answer this. But I think, your vet would only say so after he's sure that your kitten does not have anymore earmite or eye infection problem. So he went to check his "nasal" that apparently is the donly problem now ? But at least I found a good news here, that he used to sneeze 4-5 times a day, but now he only does it a couple of times a ay ! That's a good sign of recovery !
To make sure if a cat's poo is normal or not, we need to tell from not only its color, but also texture (soft or hard). It's normal to have a "not too soft-not too hard" and "not too dark color" poo. If it's too dark and very small and hard, it means that your kitten has constipation problem. If it is too yellowish and too soft, it is the opposite condition. Cylindrical is a good shape though. I hope it is not a smelly poo too !
When switching food, please remember to do it gradually, mix the old food with the new and increase the proportion of the new and reduce the old.
If your kitten has a sensitive stomach, I heard some members tried duck and pea (Natural Balance ?) They proved it effective for kitty with sensitive stomach.

Last but not least, using only flea shampoo is not effective enough, it's advisable if you use Frontline Plus, every two to three months.

Wish you both all the best. And please keep us update.

PS : What's your kitten name ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-20-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

What a cuuuute kitten! Aaaaw!

What Irene said above sounds wise listen to that.

Also, I think you should stick to kitten food at this early stage. Some brands sell food for kittens who are under 3 months or so and then they have another kind of kitten food that they should stick with until they turn 1 year of age. Make sure you get a good quality brand with important nutritions. I use Royal Canine, that's a good one. My cat was fed with Royal Canine's "babycat" until she turned 4 months, then she was fed with "Kitten 36". After your cat has turned 1 year old, Royal Canine even has their own "Persian" cat food I'd recommend that.
Oh and if you are to feed your kitten milk, try a special formula made for cats only.

My kitten sneezed a lot too, around 4-5 times a day too actually. My vet told me there was nothing wrong. Now she doesn't sneeze very often. I did get eye droppers too, because of some irritation with her eyes. I think it's good you vaccinated him. It's safer that way

If you do have more worries and you feel like he's not getting better or worse, just call your vet

Good luck!
Unread 06-20-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Hi & welcome!

What's your name & your kit's? He's a cutie pie!!! Have nothing to add to Irene's & Katrine's.

Pls post more pix, I'm delighted with this sweetie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 06-20-2009   #5 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
che is on a distinguished road

Kitty is adorable.xxxxx
Unread 06-21-2009   #6 (permalink)
hellzie

thank you all very much for the advice. It was the change in cat food that had caused the upset stomach after all . Hes back to normal now, i mixed it with the old one as instructed. Must say he pulled a pretty fast recovery heh.

My name is Hassan. I'm just being a good brother to my kid sister and looking after it for her whilst she has her exams. I've gotten very attached to the little fella during the past month that hes been prancing about in my room. I kinda freak the second i hear him sneeze and instantly rush him to the vet for it, heh. So far in the past month i've taken him to vet around a dozen times haha, better safe than sorry :].

Sis is still in the process of deciding a name for it and considering between Ginger, Snagglepuss and Tigger so far but would appreciate any other suggestions too.

attaching another 3 pictures below , the first one is how i found him curled up against my arm when i woke up in the morning, the day after he arrived. The second is him strumming 'stairway to heaven' on my guitar and the third is the first pic of him when he arrived. His eyes were the worst that day as you can see in the pic but much much better now. He's got milk in his whiskers too in that one too lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (96.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg guitar.jpg (94.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg four.jpg (93.5 KB, 6 views)

Unread 06-21-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellzie View Post
thank you all very much for the advice. It was the change in cat food that had caused the upset stomach after all. Hes back to normal now, i mixed it with the old one as instructed. Must say he pulled a pretty fast recovery heh.

My name is Hassan. I'm just being a good brother to my kid sister and looking after it for her whilst she has her exams. I've gotten very attached to the little fella during the past month that hes been prancing about in my room. I kinda freak the second i hear him sneeze and instantly rush him to the vet for it, heh. So far in the past month i've taken him to vet around a dozen times haha, better safe than sorry :].

Sis is still in the process of deciding a name for it and considering between Ginger, Snagglepuss and Tigger so far but would appreciate any other suggestions too.

attaching another 3 pictures below , the first one is how i found him curled up against my arm when i woke up in the morning, the day after he arrived. The second is him strumming 'stairway to heaven' on my guitar and the third is the first pic of him when he arrived. His eyes were the worst that day as you can see in the pic but much much better now. He's got milk in his whiskers too in that one too lol.
Hi Hassan ! You've been not only a good brother to your sis, you've also been a GREAT uncle to the kitten. Good to hear that she's doing well again !

One of my cat's' nickname is Tigger .. so I would wish you also name him Tigger ...

Love the picture of him strumming "stairway to heaven' on your guitar.. hehe !

Tags
advice , allergies , antibiotic , baby , box , care , cat , cat food , cats , changed , color , constipation , eye , eyes , fast , fleas , food , found , great , hey , infection , kitten , kitten food , kitty , litter , litter box , male , mites , morning , nose , opinion , persian , pet , pictures , poop , problem , problems , royal , sleep , small , sneeze , suggestions , tabby , travel , upset , vet , watery

Sponsored Cat Links