It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-20-2009   #1 (permalink)
ganini

Unhappy Feline Leukemia

I am dying I had 4 adult male cats and one developed a fever and weakness that would not go away. After two weeks of being in and out of the vets office he was tested positive for Leukemia. It broke my heart but I couldn't stand him suffering and had to have him euthanized. Now the vet has told me to wait until week after next and test my other 3 boys and if any of them tests positive they should be euthanized and any that test negative should be vaccinated. My 3 boys appear healthy and I cannot imagine euthanizing any one of them. I've been looking a lot online at stuff that talks about testing and then re-testing if they test positive, or if you have a positive cat separating it from the other cats or finding it a home where it's the only cat or there are other positive cats. I'm still a bit confused about if I have the negative cats vaccinated and/or maybe they've developed a resistance to the disease, why I should have a positive cat euthanized except things I read say vaccinations aren't 100% effective. Has anyone ever been in this situation before, and what did you do? Does anyone know anything about this that can help me? thank you.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-20-2009   #2 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
che is on a distinguished road

Hello.I am so sorry for your loss.I haven't been in this situation,I'm sure another member will be here to give you advice soon.xxxxx
Unread 06-20-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

I can sense you're so desperate for your kitties. I'm sorry I haven't been in this situation too.. I did spend some time to search some info for you through the internet, but with no avail.
Like Cheryl said, I hope other members can give you some answer. I know one of our senior members, Acer, who is like an encyclopedia now doesn't appear that often... I hope she's online and see this post.
My prayer goes on your way !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-20-2009   #4 (permalink)
ganini

Default Feline Leukemia

Thank you for the two responses of caring I've gotten so far. I spent time this afternoon sitting by my Sarabi's grave just bawling. Two of my other 3 boys, Simba and Houdini, were at my side, and the 3rd, Little Bit was nearby in the woods. I've poured through the internet and have printed off some stuff to read about the situation. I just cannot see putting one of my healthy cats down.

Unread 06-20-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I completely understand how you feel... I'm owned by three babies myself....
Please be strong for your other babies. At least there's still hope. Let me try harder to find something informative for you. Will let you know when I did. (In fact I found one similar article, but it's not feline, it's canine leukemia...)
I'm praying with you ! Always hope for the best !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 06-23-2009   #6 (permalink)
ganini

Default I've done research

I've done a lot of research and printed up a lot of stuff from the internet on the situation and it seems about 40% of cats develop an immunity when exposed to Leukemia, 30% develop a latent infection that can lie dormant and they won't get sick for years and 30% get sick. None of my boys is sick and I will not put one of my boys down that is not suffering from the illness like my baby Sarabi. He just stayed weak and could not get rid of his fever. I did have a cat that had FIP once and I got similar advice about the disease being contageous and euthanizing. I had two girls at the time and I decided not to euthanize and Sabe lived another few years. Actually Tayne and Sabe both tested positive, but Tayne lived to 16-1/2 years and never developed FIP. Sabe lived to 14-1/2 years. It is probably not as contageous as the leukemie, but I will vaccinate the boys that do not test positive with the leukemia vaccine. And I will re-test everyone as what I have read suggests that.

Unread 06-23-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Thumbs up Glad to hear from you again !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganini View Post
I've done a lot of research and printed up a lot of stuff from the internet on the situation and it seems about 40% of cats develop an immunity when exposed to Leukemia, 30% develop a latent infection that can lie dormant and they won't get sick for years and 30% get sick. None of my boys is sick and I will not put one of my boys down that is not suffering from the illness like my baby Sarabi. He just stayed weak and could not get rid of his fever. I did have a cat that had FIP once and I got similar advice about the disease being contageous and euthanizing. I had two girls at the time and I decided not to euthanize and Sabe lived another few years. Actually Tayne and Sabe both tested positive, but Tayne lived to 16-1/2 years and never developed FIP. Sabe lived to 14-1/2 years. It is probably not as contageous as the leukemie, but I will vaccinate the boys that do not test positive with the leukemia vaccine. And I will re-test everyone as what I have read suggests that.
I trust you, my friend ! You've made the best and wisest decision for them all. I know as you respect their lives, they're able to live longer than other cats who were euthanized. I'm really, truly proud of you ! Keep up the good work. You're not alone. We are all here for you. Just feel free to always come back with your updates.
I'm still praying with you, and I also put my trust in God to help you and to grant your kitties many more happy years to live !

Tags
adult , advice , babies , baby , cats , dying , fever , fip , found , free , happy , healthy , hey , home , infection , informative , internet , kitties , loss , male , search , senior , sick , vaccine

Sponsored Cat Links