It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-23-2009   #1 (permalink)
BethelAbba

Question Rescuing a Ferral Kitten (tips?)

I live in Taiwan, and cats here are pretty ferral. One that lives in our apartment complexes unused swimming pool gave birth 5-6 weeks ago and I've been watching their progress closely. Today I decided to chance picking one up and working to domesticate it. Any tips?

At first, he was extremely frightened, it's been several hours now, and he's pretty secure around my wife. We've fed him a little low-fat milk, and we're giving him some freedom around the kitchen (which is enclosed) so that he can build confidence. Any other suggestions?

We're thinking about waiting a few days before trying to give him a bath, but a rather thorough check shows no fleas or ticks. (shew) I just want to make sure we have his confidence somewhat before we go ruining it with the first bath...

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-25-2009   #2 (permalink)
Siamese Anne

Hi there, good luck with your taming. Hope these tips might help. If the kitten is being taken away from the mother it will need to be on solid food at 5/6 weeks old. Cows milk is not very good for kittens. The milk can give them upset tummy's. Goats milk if available would be better. They are growing quickly at this age and need solid food to remain healthy.

The mother might refuse to feed it now it smells of humans, so if you return it to the wild, watch it to see if it is being rejected by mum. You could make this rejection even more likely if you wash the kitten!

I might be going to have the same problem here in France because I live in a country area where entire cats roam. I feed the 'ferals' every night and one of them looks like she is going to have kittens. My dilemma is making sure that I don't take the cat to the vet to be fixed after the birth if it actually belongs to somebody however casually.

All the best with the kittens

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-25-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

I'm Irene from Taipei Taiwan too. I don't know what happened to some of the posts ..they're missing .. At first Cheryl PM me to tell me there's someone in Taiwan who needs help, she also posted a couple of replies (she also mentioned about the cow's milk). Then I managed to answer some questions, like why cow's milk is not good for a kitten (especially low fat) -- I tried to direct you to the answer that it may cause upset stomach for kittens who are lactose intolerant. Kitten needs to be checked by the vet for regular need, get the worming, flea treatments (good that your kitty is already flea/tick free), and eventually to receive vaccinations and after 6 months old, to be fixed (neutered/spayed).

I also got my kitties since they're a small kitten (6-7 weeks old).

God bless !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
age , apartment , bath , birth , cats , cow's milk , fixed , fleas , food , free , healthy , hey , kitten , kittens , kitties , kitty , missing , needs help , night , problem , small , spayed , suggestions , tips , upset , vet , wash , wild

Sponsored Cat Links