It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-25-2009   #11 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
che is on a distinguished road

It was a double post Irene.xxxxx

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-25-2009   #12 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
maggiemay is on a distinguished road

Hello, and welcome to the forum. Bless you for taking on a feral kitten, if the kitten hasn't used the litter box yet try gently rubbing it's tummy with cloth to stimulate it's bowels and bladder as his/her mommy would!
Former mom to: Rosie, Tigger, Samson, Smokey, Maggiemay, Tasha, Abby, Coco, SmokeyJr, Merlin, and Merlin Jr, Gracie, and Samson Jr, I left you all in Canada with the exception of Rosie and Tigger who I know are no longer with us! I hope that you are all happy, and I'm sorry I couldn't bring you with me!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-25-2009   #13 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Hurray !! My Princess has got a lil brother !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethelAbba View Post
There were 4 that I could count, and probably 1 or 2 more beyond that.... mommy wasn't letting them all out to play.

We live in Bali... I've been here only 5 months, my wife for nearly 3 years. I'm working on getting my ARC still... so I'm home a lot and it's good time for me to be working with Little Tiger.

We are members of GiKong Presbyterian in Taipei (near Ta'an Park), so there's a chance we can connect some Sunday when we're in. Just message us, we'll work something out. As it is, there are 4 days in August we would need someone to watch Shou-Hoo... we've a trip to Hong Kong that's a MUST.... grrrrr.

Nice Cyber-meeting you, I'm sure we'll catch more of each other as Kai & I try to figure out what Little Tiger's needs are.
Oh my goodness, I saw his pictures ... very impressed by those pics of how your wife Kai bathed him. I believe you've got one of the most gentle kitties in the world !
I'm even more excited to learn that Little Tiger's got a big sister, hehe ! -- it's my Princess -- please visit my gallery at Cats Pictures section or my Profile's albums. Just like lil Tiger, she's a DSH grey tabby.
I'm even thrilled to see the future possibilities to meet you both and share endlessly all about cats, kitties, felines, kittens (oh yes, I'm a total cat lover) , coz your church is just nearby my church (Ta'An Park) ! I'll PM you my phone numbers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-25-2009   #14 (permalink)
lilalienangel

Just for refference. If you do not have access to cat formula goats milk is the closest in nature to cats milk.

Unread 06-26-2009   #15 (permalink)
BethelAbba

Ok one and all, here's the update on things.

(a) We've given him 2 baths in 4 days at this point to combat his fleas. Thus far we've killed 7 of them out right. He doesn't have a visible issue with them at the moment, but I know that flea eggs take time to develop so Shou Hoo will be continuing with a regular bath cycle until I'm certian he's flea free.

Did my research and to be honest I don't care for any of the flea products out there... so a warm water soaking (& Goat's Milk baby shampoo) followed by tweezer'ing any fleas we find will be our routine. SH doesn't seem to mind thus far.

(b) SH has poo'd once and pee'd twice now. Someone recommended rubbing his belly... we'll have to give it a shot. I was worried about UTI, but I want to run the belly rub first to see how that goes. As to his actual poo & pee, he used the litter box both times, and his poo wasn't diarrhetic. He meows when he pees ---- sign of UTI??? Anyone out there know?

(c) He Meows ---- CONSTANTLY ---- when we are not in direct line of sight, and sometimes even when we are. I chalk it up to his being scared, looking for his mommy, and left alone with the meanie who took him away from his home. (Mean Wayne, mean.) It's worse at night for a while.... then he stops.

I've gotten used to his meows and I know when he's hungry and saying so, and likewise when he's scared and saying so. There's a pitch to his meows which I am getting used to. My question here is this: Will he ever get to a place of comfort with his surroundings and stop? I know the neighbors can't be appreciating him much right now.

(d) sleeping.... yeah... since when did night become play / meow time? He's sleeping right now as I type this (at 3 PM) and humorously he likesto sleep wedged into a corner or the like. I assume it reminds him of being with his family, wedged tightly together against mommy. Right now he finds a door to hide behind or a corner to hide in.

Question: Should I keep him awake during the day so he will sleep at night?

(e) He's starting to show some indications of trust. Yesterday was the first time when I have sat on the floor in the kitchen with him wherein he actually came to me. And today he came to the door meowing... and waiting for me to come pick him up. Confidence building, this is a good thing, but here's my question:

When is a good time to allow him free roam of the house? I don't want to lose him under a piece of furniture or have him get stuck somewhere we can't get to. I know for now --- until he's flea free he's kept self contained, but at some point I would like to allow him to roam the house. Tips?

That's it for now... look forward to your answers.

Unread 06-26-2009   #16 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
che is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Irene

I originally posted the Feral Kittens thread ----- only to have it NOT show up for HOURS and HOURS later. In the meantime, I posted it again figuring it had not taken. So... there are two threads here by the same title.

Likewise, I posted a response this morning giving you details on where to go for cat pictures... and that LENGTHY response did not get posted. I assume there is a moderator somewhere with nothing better to do than spot check all new posters before allowing them freedom to fy as it were. Frustrating, but until they're sure I'm not here to spam or flame... I guess it's gonna be the way things are.

Shou-hoo is fine. We're learning how to take care of him, partly from here, and partly through just plain common sense. Google helps as well.
Lovely pics of Kai and Shou Hoo,congratulations.
Just like to say our moderator is a wonderful person,and does all she can to keep this site clean.
We have had terrible things on here lately.xxxxx
Unread 06-26-2009   #17 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Ok one and all, here's the update on things.

(a) We've given him 2 baths in 4 days at this point to combat his fleas. Thus far we've killed 7 of them out right. He doesn't have a visible issue with them at the moment, but I know that flea eggs take time to develop so Shou Hoo will be continuing with a regular bath cycle until I'm certian he's flea free. Sorry to say that you can't combat fleas with washing. Excessive washing is not good for cats. That can cause the skin to get dried, the fur coat not so nice.Cats are basically self-cleaning. Please get Frontline Plus from the vet, and apply that every two or three months. That's the most effective method.

Did my research and to be honest I don't care for any of the flea products out there... so a warm water soaking (& Goat's Milk baby shampoo) followed by tweezer'ing any fleas we find will be our routine. SH doesn't seem to mind thus far.

(b) SH has poo'd once and pee'd twice now. Someone recommended rubbing his belly... we'll have to give it a shot. I was worried about UTI, but I want to run the belly rub first to see how that goes. As to his actual poo & pee, he used the litter box both times, and his poo wasn't diarrhetic. He meows when he pees ---- sign of UTI??? Anyone out there know? I'm afraid so .. good that you're alert. Please take her to the vet.

(c) He Meows ---- CONSTANTLY ---- when we are not in direct line of sight, and sometimes even when we are. I chalk it up to his being scared, looking for his mommy, and left alone with the meanie who took him away from his home. (Mean Wayne, mean.) It's worse at night for a while.... then he stops. Yes, you're right, it's caused by fear -- he's afraid to be alone, it;s lack of secure feeling, besides, he's just a baby. Please understand, and be patient. Spend times to play with him. Oh yes, at night cats are normally more active.

I've gotten used to his meows and I know when he's hungry and saying so, and likewise when he's scared and saying so. There's a pitch to his meows which I am getting used to. You're right again, he's communicating his needs with you, his human meowmy and paw paw. My question here is this: Will he ever get to a place of comfort with his surroundings and stop? I know the neighbors can't be appreciating him much right now. Can't guarantee. Maybe lil Tiger is a vocal cat ? My Princess is very vocal and will literally have two-ways conversation with me all day long. She will answer whenever I talk to her.

(d) sleeping.... yeah... since when did night become play / meow time? He's sleeping right now as I type this (at 3 PM) Here is the link to an article about cat's sleep facts. Why Your Cat Sleeps All the Time and Other Feline Sleep Facts
and humorously he likesto sleep wedged into a corner or the like. I assume it reminds him of being with his family, wedged tightly together against mommy. Right now he finds a door to hide behind or a corner to hide in. Yes, my cats when they're still kittens likee to wedge tightly against me (they thought I'm their meowmy). They also love comfortable beds where they will feel more comfy and safe.

Question: Should I keep him awake during the day so he will sleep at night? No, in fact it's better to play with him before 'your bed time', hopefully he will sleep after having enough exercise.

(e) He's starting to show some indications of trust. Yesterday was the first time when I have sat on the floor in the kitchen with him wherein he actually came to me. And today he came to the door meowing... and waiting for me to come pick him up. Confidence building, this is a good thing, Concats ! This is called bonding. Through bonding time (like playing with him, giving him treats, holding him, petting, stroking, grooming ... ) trust will be built.

but here's my question:

When is a good time to allow him free roam of the house? I don't want to lose him under a piece of furniture or have him get stuck somewhere we can't get to. I know for now --- until he's flea free he's kept self contained, but at some point I would like to allow him to roam the house. Tips? Anytime and all the time. Get him a pet collar with bells, so you'll hear him and know where he is and trace him down.
10 favorite hiding places for cats.
1: In a laundry basket.
2: Under the bed.
3: In a drawer.
4: Behind the drapes.
5: On top of the kitchen cabinets.
6: In the fireplace.
7: Behind a door.
8: Behind books.
9: Under the flap of an upholstered chair.
10: In the folds of an upholstered chair.

That's it for now... look forward to your answers.
God bless !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 06-26-2009   #18 (permalink)
Kermit Kat

Default Socializing a Feral Cat

Hi,

Feral cats and cats that have been traumatized or abused are afraid and that is why they run, hide and strike out at you. When we work with these types of cats, we have a series of steps depending on how unsocialized they are. No matter where we start with them, the one thing that is super helpful is chicken or turkey baby food. The cats love it (a few are not food motivated and are more difficult to work with). If the cat is very unsocialized we will start with dipping a wind in the baby food and extneding it to the cat. We progress to giving the cat the baby food on our finger. During this process, we begin to pet the cat. The pets soon become associated with the yummy baby food and are seen as good.

This is the start of building up the cat's trust. Once the cat trusts you, they become less scared. The more they relax, the more their personality comes out and eventually they bond with you.

Good luck with Tiger...can't wait to see photos!

PS Any chance of getting the other cats, including mom, into a TNR program?

Unread 06-29-2009   #19 (permalink)
BethelAbba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit Kat View Post
Hi,....

This is the start of building up the cat's trust. Once the cat trusts you, they become less scared. The more they relax, the more their personality comes out and eventually they bond with you.

Good luck with Tiger...can't wait to see photos!

PS Any chance of getting the other cats, including mom, into a TNR program?
Actually, we've had success with Lil Tiger already, to the degree that he's comfortable around different types of people in different situations. We actually had him out last night to:
Dinner at a resturaunt = he behaved well

The Vet = Had his ears cleaned, his nails clipped and was even given a de-worming shot.... and didn't fuss once. The vet really liked our particular cat, called him very gentle.

Night Market = Here in Asia, this is the closest thing you get to a Flea Market / community garage sale or the like. TONS of people crammed into back alleyways, and lots of vendors selling their things. I had Lil Tiger on my shoulder the entire time and people stopped time and again to pet him and adore him. He didn't fuss once, and was actually playful with one person.
so in the case of socializing and people comfort, Lil Tiger is already winning the war. He still has some things we need to work with him on, esp. getting him to drink more water (hence why he's not peeing but once a day...) and teaching him his boundaries around the home. These things come with time.

I've already posted some pictures up, as stated, in the post "The Newest member of the Shuman family" at my blog. I linked it so you can just click and go there to see him.

Wayne.

Oh.... and he's finally starting to sleep through the night ---- happy, happy, joy, joy!

Unread 06-29-2009   #20 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Actually, we've had success with Lil Tiger already, to the degree that he's comfortable around different types of people in different situations. We actually had him out last night to:
Dinner at a resturaunt = he behaved well

The Vet = Had his ears cleaned, his nails clipped and was even given a de-worming shot.... and didn't fuss once. The vet really liked our particular cat, called him very gentle.

Night Market = Here in Asia, this is the closest thing you get to a Flea Market / community garage sale or the like. TONS of people crammed into back alleyways, and lots of vendors selling their things. I had Lil Tiger on my shoulder the entire time and people stopped time and again to pet him and adore him. He didn't fuss once, and was actually playful with one person.
so in the case of socializing and people comfort, Lil Tiger is already winning the war. He still has some things we need to work with him on, esp. getting him to drink more water (hence why he's not peeing but once a day...) and teaching him his boundaries around the home. These things come with time.

I've already posted some pictures up, as stated, in the post "The Newest member of the Shuman family" at my blog. I linked it so you can just click and go there to see him.

Wayne.

Oh.... and he's finally starting to sleep through the night ---- happy, happy, joy, joy!
Hurray !! You really got your lil Tiger well trained and tamed at such a young age ! The vet is right about you getting a gentle kitty, he's not only gentle but also smart !

How much did the vet charge you for that worming treatment ? I suppose nail clipping is free, coz you already paid for the worm treatment.

Tags
art , attacking , baby , bath , beds , belly , birth , bite , bladder , blog , box , calm , canned food , care , cat , cat pictures , cats , clean , collar , color , cow's milk , diet , facebook , facts , family , feral , food , fun , funny , great , grey , hiding , home , joke , kai , kitten , kittens , litter , litter box , meowing , pee , pet , pictures , play , playing , poo , profile , sale , scared , sleeping , small , smart , stories , stray , thoughts , tips , turkey , type , vocal , water , weaned , wild

Sponsored Cat Links