It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-23-2009   #1 (permalink)
BethelAbba

Question Rescuing a Ferral Kitten (tips?)

I thought I had posted this a few hours ago, apparently it didn't take so here's take 2.

I live in Taiwan, and most cats are ferral here. (Ferral = wild) Recently (about 5-6 weeks ago) one of the cats who've been living in our neighborhood (& feeding off our trash cans) gave birth to a litter. I've been watching them closely and decided tonight, since the kittens have been out for over a week, to see if I could get one and domesticate it. I know that you can seperate mother & kit around 6 weeks, and that 5-8 weeks is crucial for bonding with other species... so hence my interest.

At the moment I am just looking for helpful tips & hints on raising it. We're attempting to feed it low-fat milk (at the moment) and allowing it to explore our bathroom & kitchen. (Both rooms are enclosed) We're also spending a lot of time handling it --- it's taken to really being calm around my wife.

Sooooooo anything you guys wanna say.... would be helpful.

Thanks.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-23-2009   #2 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
che is on a distinguished road

Oh hello,I'm Cheryl.My very good friend Irene is from Taiwan,she will undoubtedly give you some advice very soon.xxxxx
Unread 06-23-2009   #3 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
che is on a distinguished road

Forgot to say dear,please don't give kitty cows milk.Can you get cat milk from a pet store?xxxxx
Unread 06-23-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethelAbba View Post
I thought I had posted this a few hours ago, apparently it didn't take so here's take 2.

I live in Taiwan, and most cats are ferral here. (Ferral = wild) Recently (about 5-6 weeks ago) one of the cats who've been living in our neighborhood (& feeding off our trash cans) gave birth to a litter. I've been watching them closely and decided tonight, since the kittens have been out for over a week, to see if I could get one and domesticate it. I know that you can seperate mother & kit around 6 weeks, and that 5-8 weeks is crucial for bonding with other species... so hence my interest.

At the moment I am just looking for helpful tips & hints on raising it. We're attempting to feed it low-fat milk (at the moment) and allowing it to explore our bathroom & kitchen. (Both rooms are enclosed) We're also spending a lot of time handling it --- it's taken to really being calm around my wife.

Sooooooo anything you guys wanna say.... would be helpful.

Thanks.
Hi, I'm Irene ! Glad to welcome someone from Taiwan too... Where do you live ? I'm in Taipei.
How many kittens were born from the same litter ? How many have you taken in ? One ?
You're right about they need to be fully weaned by feline meowmy for at least 6-8 weeks, and yes, they can be domesticated as long as you take them in young as kittens.
I'd like to suggest that you give them KMR (kitten milk replacement) instead of cow milk, as Cheryl just mentioned.
God bless you !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-24-2009   #5 (permalink)
BethelAbba

Ok, I'll bite... why is cow's milk bad?

So, today Shou-Hoo (Little Tiger) managed to make it 7 hours alone (we had something we HAD to take care of and the timing was horrid... but things went well) and upon our return home he was willing to accept peanut butter from us as well as some (6 pellets) Hill's Science Diet Kitten chow. We soaked 3 in water and 3 in cow's milk, and he ate all six with a preference for the cow's milk.

The guy at the pet shop said we should ONLY feed him 15 pellets PER DAY at the moment, but that seems quite small all things considered. We're keeping it to what he said until I hear otherwise. The rate-chart on the bag says 1/4th cup per day which seems more reasonable... Some thoughts here?

As to the Peanut butter, I figured it would be safe in small amounts, since it's almost solid protien. It was actually funny to see him realize it was food, and that it was tasty. We're still working on gaining his trust. Funniest moment for that was getting him to accept the mushy food pellets.
He will remain perfectly calm when being held, but high tails it to any corner to cower the moment we set him down. If you try to pick him up again, he instantly attacks --- but only once. Sooooooo I took to using a peice of Newspaper first, so he attacks that, and as his mouth is wide open at that point, I shove the food pellet in it before he can close it. Works so well that he actually stopped attacking and now just opens his mouth *grin*.
Thus far he hasn't poo'd or pee'd which has me worried. We got him a litter box, put him in it a few times and allowed him to wander out of it at his leisure. What should we be expecting of him on this front?

Last edited by BethelAbba; 06-24-2009 at 11:47 AM.

Unread 06-24-2009   #6 (permalink)
BethelAbba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene Jims View Post
Hi, I'm Irene ! Glad to welcome someone from Taiwan too... Where do you live ? I'm in Taipei.
How many kittens were born from the same litter ? How many have you taken in ? One ?
There were 4 that I could count, and probably 1 or 2 more beyond that.... mommy wasn't letting them all out to play.

We live in Bali... I've been here only 5 months, my wife for nearly 3 years. I'm working on getting my ARC still... so I'm home a lot and it's good time for me to be working with Little Tiger.

We are members of GiKong Presbyterian in Taipei (near Ta'an Park), so there's a chance we can connect some Sunday when we're in. Just message us, we'll work something out. As it is, there are 4 days in August we would need someone to watch Shou-Hoo... we've a trip to Hong Kong that's a MUST.... grrrrr.

Nice Cyber-meeting you, I'm sure we'll catch more of each other as Kai & I try to figure out what Little Tiger's needs are.

Unread 06-24-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Hi, What's your name ? Are you in Taipei too ?

I'll post something about human food, especially why certain foods are not good for pets (like cow milk...) , some are even poisonous.

Glad that Little Tiger started to eat. Any picture of him ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 06-24-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Milk :
Although milk is not toxic to cats, it may have adverse effects. Simply put, adult cats fed a nutritious diet don't need milk, and many cats are lactose-intolerant, which means that the lactose in milk and milk products produces stomach upset, cramps, and gassiness. If your cat loves milk, and begs for it, a small amount of cream may be okay, two or three times a week. (The more fat in the milk, the less lactose.)

Here is the link to the article I just mentioned :

Human Foods to Avoid for Cats - Toxic Foods

Of course, KMR - Kitten Milk Replacement is safe for kittens even before they're fully weaned.

Last edited by Irene Jims; 06-24-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Unread 06-24-2009   #9 (permalink)
BethelAbba

Ok Irene, here's what you're looking for.

Short side, you can go to JulieMillerFan's Xanga Site and catch a few photo's there in the post "The Newest Member of the Shuman Family", along with most of the info that's already been posted here.

Longer run, you can catch me & my wife on Facebook. Type in "JulieMillerFan" and I am the only one that shows up. Type in Kai Kathy Chen Shuman and you'll catch my wife. In my facebook are L-O-T-S of pictures of Shou-Hoo (or Shou-To as we've laughingly called him... little head) and little stories with each picture. Considering the cat has only been with us 48 hours roughly, he's relatively calm for a stray and allows for lots of pictures. Even his first bath went remarkibly well.

so there you have it... if you're looking to connect & see pics, those are the two places to start.

Unread 06-25-2009   #10 (permalink)
BethelAbba

Irene

I originally posted the Feral Kittens thread ----- only to have it NOT show up for HOURS and HOURS later. In the meantime, I posted it again figuring it had not taken. So... there are two threads here by the same title.

Likewise, I posted a response this morning giving you details on where to go for cat pictures... and that LENGTHY response did not get posted. I assume there is a moderator somewhere with nothing better to do than spot check all new posters before allowing them freedom to fy as it were. Frustrating, but until they're sure I'm not here to spam or flame... I guess it's gonna be the way things are.

Shou-hoo is fine. We're learning how to take care of him, partly from here, and partly through just plain common sense. Google helps as well.

Tags
art , attacking , baby , bath , beds , belly , birth , bite , bladder , blog , box , calm , canned food , care , cat , cat pictures , cats , clean , collar , color , cow's milk , diet , facebook , facts , family , feral , food , fun , funny , great , grey , hiding , home , joke , kai , kitten , kittens , litter , litter box , meowing , pee , pet , pictures , play , playing , poo , profile , sale , scared , sleeping , small , smart , stories , stray , thoughts , tips , turkey , type , vocal , water , weaned , wild

Sponsored Cat Links