It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-03-2009   #1 (permalink)
bostonian17

Default New Kitty..How to get my two adult cats to accept him?

Hi. I found a little kitten at 6wks old under my porch around 2-3 wks ago. Brought him in to protect him from the raccoons and owls and to "keep" him. The problem is my two senior cats hiss at him very "oddly" and seem to be scittish, afraid, and down right mad that this little guy is in the house! Will they EVER come around? I was told to move slowly with them actually meeting eachother but I was away for a week and a half though they knew he was just in the next room (doors closed). They've had plenty of time smelling his scent but are still acting fiercly..Can anyone help???

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-03-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
maggiemay is on a distinguished road

It will just take sometime for your older kitties to just get used to the kitten, try and get a 'Feliway' plug in it is supposed to help, also 'Bach's rescue remedy' is also supposed to help, in general just keep on doing what your doing and the older kitties should begin to accept the baby.
Former mom to: Rosie, Tigger, Samson, Smokey, Maggiemay, Tasha, Abby, Coco, SmokeyJr, Merlin, and Merlin Jr, Gracie, and Samson Jr, I left you all in Canada with the exception of Rosie and Tigger who I know are no longer with us! I hope that you are all happy, and I'm sorry I couldn't bring you with me!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-03-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

If it's only been a few weeks, give it a bit longer. It will take time for your current cats to accept the new kitten, you just have to be patient. Be sure to give the older cats tons of attention, so they know you still love them
Unread 07-03-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Hi & welcome!

What's your name & your cats'?

This is a very common behaviour between cats. They are territorial & the kitten is considered an intruder by your senior cats. All you need is PATIENCE. For the moment keep your baby in a separate room & introduce him to the others gradually. That's what I did with my first cats. Now, when I bring a new one, I leave him/her with the others; the kitten knows how to defend himself (or hid) I belive that in a couple of weeks or so all will be all right. Don't worry. Good luck & keep us posted.
(Cannot wait to see pix!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 07-04-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonian17 View Post
Hi. I found a little kitten at 6wks old under my porch around 2-3 wks ago. Brought him in to protect him from the raccoons and owls and to "keep" him. The problem is my two senior cats hiss at him very "oddly" and seem to be scittish, afraid, and down right mad that this little guy is in the house! Will they EVER come around? I was told to move slowly with them actually meeting eachother but I was away for a week and a half though they knew he was just in the next room (doors closed). They've had plenty of time smelling his scent but are still acting fiercly..Can anyone help???
Hi ! Welcome to you and gang, and congratulations on the addition !
As the others have said it all, I only wish to add this : you're doing great ! keep doing what you are doing. I have had the same experiences before (one of my kitties is a big hisser !). Cats are very territorial, so a gradual and systematic introduction may help to diffuse the anxiety between the cats, giving the older cats extra attention will definitely help. !
Any pix to show the world how proud you are with them ?

Unread 07-05-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

In addition to the other excellent advice you have already received, I will add to make sure you have enough litter boxes. Cats can be very territorial about their litter boxes, so for now it is best if the baby has his own. He's probably too little to climb into a big box yet anyway?

As has already been said, time is what is needed. Cats hate change and are slow to adjust. It is not unusual for it to take several months for cats to adjust to a newbie.

A feliway plug in or two (as suggested by someone) is a great idea. as is rescue remedy.

I purchase mine at entirelypets.com, as they have the best prices, low shipping costs, and are fast. google entirelypets.com coupon for additional savings codes.

(disclaimer, I do not work for, nor do I receive any benefit from recommending entirelypets.com. I have shopped there and am happy with my experiences.)

please read this first
Unread 07-05-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
In addition to the other excellent advice you have already received, I will add to make sure you have enough litter boxes. Cats can be very territorial about their litter boxes, so for now it is best if the baby has his own. He's probably too little to climb into a big box yet anyway?

As has already been said, time is what is needed. Cats hate change and are slow to adjust. It is not unusual for it to take several months for cats to adjust to a newbie.

A feliway plug in or two (as suggested by someone) is a great idea. as is rescue remedy.

I purchase mine at entirelypets.com, as they have the best prices, low shipping costs, and are fast. google entirelypets.com coupon for additional savings codes.

(disclaimer, I do not work for, nor do I receive any benefit from recommending entirelypets.com. I have shopped there and am happy with my experiences.)

Great advice, Acer !

Unread 07-05-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene Jims View Post
Great advice, Acer !
As usual...

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)

Tags
addition , adult , advice , anxiety , baby , behaviour , cats , fast , found , great , happy , hey , hiss , house , introduction , kitten , kitties , kitty , litter , litter boxes , love , new kitten , newbie , problem , rescue , senior , territorial , worry

Sponsored Cat Links