It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-04-2009   #1 (permalink)
PollyPolopo

Question My new Kitten doesn't clean himself after the toilet!!!

I just brought my new kitten (DMH tabby) home from a shelter 2 weeks ago. He appears to be around 9-10 weeks old. Overall he's doing really well (using his litter, eating well and playing) but I began to notice that after he goes poo he doesn't clean his bum and as a result his bum smells constantly. I've tried using kitty wipes or just a wet paper towel to wet his bum after poo so as to encourage him to clean himself, and it works 90% of the time--the other times he just gets distracted and plays, but I feel I may be stressing him out--which I really don't wanna do! I'm also afraid of making him think that we're the ones to clean his bum, and not him.
Also, for the past week, myself and my roommate have had diarrhea and vomiting, and I'm wondering if this may have any correlation to the fact that he's not cleaning himself and maybe dragging it around the apartment/beds/couches etc.?

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can teach him to groom himself??

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-04-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Hi ! Welcome aboard ! Concats on the new addition. I'm Irene. What's your name and your kitten's name ? Any pix ?

I don't think the dragging would cause you and roommate diarrhea and vomiting, btw, is this kitten your first cat ? Cats are self-cleaning. They don't need our help. Not every time after using the toilet they will clean up. What I notice is they will definitely clean their paws, and at some point they will clean their faces and even the whole body, including their bums (by licking). It's a good idea to help clean with wet kitty wipes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-04-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Hi & welcome!

Concats for the new addition! What's your name & your kits'?

Don't think it has a correlation to the fact he's not cleaning himself, it was probably a food you & your roomate ate together & was not so good for you both...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 07-05-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

It is not normal for a cat's bottom to smell.

What are you feeding him?

Do you keep his litter boxes clean? They should be scooped at least once a day (better twice) and dumped and scrubbed weekly.

He may be having trouble with blocked anal glands, constipation, or most likely, parasites.

I recommend you bring your kitten to the vet for a complete check up. Bring a stool sample with you (just put it in a plastic baggie, doesn't matter if there is litter attached to it).

The vet tech will check the stool for parasites, but not all will show up in the stool, so the check up with the vet is important.

Thank you for adopting from a shelter, and please keep us posted on your new baby.
Unread 07-05-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
It is not normal for a cat's bottom to smell.

What are you feeding him?

Do you keep his litter boxes clean? They should be scooped at least once a day (better twice) and dumped and scrubbed weekly.

He may be having trouble with blocked anal glands, constipation, or most likely, parasites.

I recommend you bring your kitten to the vet for a complete check up. Bring a stool sample with you (just put it in a plastic baggie, doesn't matter if there is litter attached to it).

The vet tech will check the stool for parasites, but not all will show up in the stool, so the check up with the vet is important.

Thank you for adopting from a shelter, and please keep us posted on your new baby.
Thanks Acer !
How lucky you are, PollyPolopo ! Our walking online encyclopedia is back !

Tags
addition , apartment , baby , beds , cat , cat's , cats , clean , cleaning , constipation , diarrhea , eating , food , groom , grooming , hey , home , kitten , kitty , licking , litter , litter boxes , lucky , mat , new kitten , playing , poo , shelter , smell , tabby , vet , vomiting

Sponsored Cat Links