It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-06-2009   #1 (permalink)
alcav55

Default excessive shedding

Hi,

I have a deaf white cat(indoor only) and he has always shedded quite a lot.

Despite regular grooming his fur appears dry and sheds at the touch.

Does anyone know of any remedy,eg a completely safe conditioner,preferably NOT oral.

TIA Alan

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-06-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

The first question that comes to mind isn't about a conditioner, but about what your cat is being fed? And how old is your cat?
There are different factors that can be contributing to excessive shedding, stress or illness for example. Is your kitty's skin dry as well?
According to what I've read, excessive shedding should be seen by a vet.
See Your Vet If...

* Your pet is shedding heavily all year
* Clumps of fur are appearing on the floor or furniture
* She has dry, flaky skin
* Your pet is shedding or scratching more than usual
* He has scales, bald patches, or a rash
* He has severe dandruff or dry skin
* His fur is greasy or smelly even after baths
* Your pet has broken out in hives and is having trouble breathing
* He has a bad sunburn
* There has been a significant change in skin color, or the skin seems loose
* There is a lump or swelling beneath his skin
* Your pet has a sore on the skin that won't heal
* The skin of the lips, abdomen, or rectal area is yellow
* There are red or purple dots or splotches on his skin
Unread 07-06-2009   #3 (permalink)
alcav55

Hi,

many thanks for your reply,

my George is only 7yrs old and is in perfect health and does not suffer from any of the ailments you list.

His food is of a proprietry cat food(the best we can buy) and he is given extra healthy foods eg.dental buscuits etc.

I specially grow cat grass to enhance his would be "outside diet".
Our main concern is the amount of fine fur we find on the grooming brush each time,and that his fur appears dry.

There are no problems with dry skin and he does not scratch.He sleeps well and contentedly,and eats well.

We aquired George thru a rescue centre some 5 yrs ago,he is of course totally deaf and is not let out as we have a moderately busy highway close by.

I have read that there are cat coat conditioners available for problems such as this,where a small amount applied to the coat over time will prevent excessive shedding.

I am not experienced to decide which ones would be the best,hence my post.

Regards Alan

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-06-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome.

Cats do shed. some more than others. Especially this time of year. My cats, too, shed to the touch from April-Ocotber. I groom them every day and they eat a premium high quality food.

If you think the shedding is excessive, as has already been said, a trip to the vet would also be my first suggestion.

Fish oil can be added to a cat's diet to help improve coat condition. Many foods now add this important supplement to their formulas.

What food are you feeding him?
Unread 07-07-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Alan, anything you put on George's coat is going to be going INTO him, and you really don't want him ingesting coat conditioners.

So I advise that you do not use anything like that.

The shedding you describe is normal. I groom my cats daily, and daily remove at least a small kitten size wad of fur from each cat.

My cats are indoor cats, also eating a high quality (no fillers, by products, gluten, or artificial anything) cat food. But they shed, and shed, and shed.

It is the nature of the cat, to shed.

To improve the quality of a cat's coat, it has to be done from the inside, such as adding an omega 3/6 fish oil capsule to his diet every day.

Always check with your vet before adding anything to your cat's diet.

However I will repeat, that I think it is a very bad idea to use "conditioners" on a cat.

Unread 07-07-2009   #6 (permalink)
alcav55

Hi again,

many thanks for all your advice.I would not put anything on his coat without sound advice.George does not have any supplementary addatives in the way of capsules at the moment and I will certainly consider some further advice from a vet on the addition of any capsules etc.

Sadly we ,due to health problems find it difficult to groom him every day,we are now in our 70's and he is a big cat that does not like being groomed and he takes all our strength to do him 3 days per week.

Many thanks again....regards to all Alan

Unread 07-07-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Hi Alan,

ah well, three days a week is better than none. I have one who refuses to be groomed at all, and of course she's the one who has the most trouble with hairballs.

Does George vomit a lot?

In addition to actual grooming, a little trick I've found to at least remove some surface fur is to wet your hands and pet him, long swipes with wet hands will remove some fur.....it will stick to your hands! Then just rinse it off in the sink.

You can put a paper towel over the drain in the sink to prevent all that fur from going down the drain.

Last edited by acerlt; 07-07-2009 at 11:00 AM.
Unread 07-07-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

PS if you go with the omega fish oil capsules, they are soft caps, you just poke a hole in one end with a pin and squeeze the contents over his food

Most cats, I hear, really love it. I don't use it myself because the food I feed them has the omega fish oils added. Their coats are lovely and soft and shiny.

But they shed, all the same!

Unread 07-07-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

I called my vet this morning, asking him about your posted question. He said that while shedding is normal, excessive shedding can be a sign of many things (illness/skin problems, etc). He suggested a liquid food supplement, I found a link for it at Petsmart, that he says he has seen work well, you add it to the cat's food. I'm going to head to Petsmart to get a reading of the label since the link doesn't give much info.
Here's the link: Mirra Coat Liquid for Cats by Pet Ag - Health Care - Cat - PetSmart
Unread 07-07-2009   #10 (permalink)
alcav55

My thanks to you for doing all that for George.

I do not think for one minute that he is ill,we have always had cats and one gets to know when they are below par.Although we have had George some years,being an indoor cat he is a bit of an unknown quantity even now )

Sadly he does not get the rough and tumble of an outdoor cat so we try to give him that little extra attention.

Thank you again Alan

Tags
addition , advice , care , cat , cat food , cat's , cats , color , diet , dry , eating , fish , food , found , fur , george's , great , groom , grooming , health , healthy , hey , indoor , kitten , kitty , love , nervous , outdoor , pet , problems , rescue , scratch , small , smart , stress , vet , vomit

Sponsored Cat Links