It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-08-2009   #1 (permalink)
wrath186

Default Need to Switch Litter?

Ok, My rambunctious kitten, Oatmeal, has been driving me crazy trying to get her litter trained. I have been using Feline Pine clumping litter, because it's flushable. She does her solid business in the box, but feels compelled to urinate outside the box on some papers that I set down to protect the floor. She has gone a couple of times on the hardwood already. It seems I need to coax her by moving the litter around to get her to go and use the box. Sometimes she uses the box and sometimes she'll use the floor. She has also used my carpet, but only in one spot. I don't think it's a UTI, she doesn't seem to be in pain, but I'll have the vet check her out. I'm wondering now if the litter brand needs to be changed. I've read not to use clay with kittens because they can eat it, but I'm at a loss at this point. I can't keep up with the cleaning and am thinking about giving her up.

Any ideas?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-08-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrath186 View Post
Ok, My rambunctious kitten, Oatmeal, has been driving me crazy trying to get her litter trained. I have been using Feline Pine clumping litter, because it's flushable. She does her solid business in the box, but feels compelled to urinate outside the box on some papers that I set down to protect the floor. She has gone a couple of times on the hardwood already. It seems I need to coax her by moving the litter around to get her to go and use the box. Sometimes she uses the box and sometimes she'll use the floor. She has also used my carpet, but only in one spot. I don't think it's a UTI, she doesn't seem to be in pain, but I'll have the vet check her out. I'm wondering now if the litter brand needs to be changed. I've read not to use clay with kittens because they can eat it, but I'm at a loss at this point. I can't keep up with the cleaning and am thinking about giving her up.

Any ideas?
Please don't give up on her ! I remember a friend of mine once used to change the litter, and her kitties refused to use that new brand. So she had to change back to the old brand. So' it's possible for you to try other brands too. Buy a better quality brand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-08-2009   #3 (permalink)
wrath186

I'm sorry if my post came off harsh, I'm just very frustrated right now. I'm not sure what to do. Since she seems to prefer going on newspaper I thought about trying Yesterday's News litter. Also, a brand of clay, but I'm not sure she's old enough for clay litters. I've read that she can eat it and it will make her very sick. Any recommendations?

Unread 07-08-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

That's okay ! I know you're a good and responsible meowmy, as you really care about her health, when you seek advice on the clay litter. And you didn't mean what you said. I know cat lovers on this site see their kitties as their life time companions. You know ... it's a life time commitment ..

I personally won't advise you to use that clay litter for Oatmeal, since she's too young.
That yesterday's newspaper sounds great, why not try it ?

As for my kitties, I use Fresh Step mixed with Arm & Hammer Super Scoop (to reduce dust - that might cause UTI).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 07-08-2009   #5 (permalink)
Refused Autopsy

Quote:
I'm sorry if my post came off harsh, I'm just very frustrated right now. I'm not sure what to do. Since she seems to prefer going on newspaper I thought about trying Yesterday's News litter. Also, a brand of clay, but I'm not sure she's old enough for clay litters. I've read that she can eat it and it will make her very sick. Any recommendations?
Have you considered putting down a layer or Arm and Hammer super scoop with shredded newspaper over the top? It would seem to be a compromise for now until she realizes how much she likes digging...lol!!!

Good luck, hang in there, this too shall pass. It is so frustrating, I know. Years ago I had a shelter foster that liked to use my kitchen table..dead center. Think she was trying to tell me something??!!! LOL!!!

She later was labeled "only cat please or else"....ha!!!

Unread 07-08-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

Yesterday's News litter is not a clay litter, it's made from recycled newspapers. They sell it at the local feed store, I went to look at it last night since it was on sale. Not something I would use, but many people I spoke with at the store seem to like it.
For my kits, we use Arm & Hammer Multi-Cat, we've never had a problem with dust.
Unread 07-08-2009   #7 (permalink)
wrath186

Thanks for all the support!! On average, how long can it take to litter train a kitten?

I guess my local SPCA will love me for all of the litter donations.

Unread 07-08-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

It may be that she is one of those cats who prefers to do one business in one box and the other business somewhere else.

I recommend you add a litter box. Two boxes, or even three may solve the problem.

And keep them very clean. I am not implying that you don't, the comment is for general information. Cats hate dirty litter boxes.

If you do decide to change litters, do it very gradually, cats do not do well with change.

I use clay litter, have always used it regardless of age of cat.

Quote:
Thanks for all the support!! On average, how long can it take to litter train a kitten?

I guess my local SPCA will love me for all of the litter donations.
Cats don't really need to be trained. You show them the box and they usually know what to do. Sometimes a very young kitten might not get the idea at first, in which case pour a little litter over her accident, sweep it up, and put it in the litter box (or just pick it up if it's poop) and that will give her the idea.

But do definitely get her in for a urine check just to be sure.

Last edited by acerlt; 07-08-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Unread 07-08-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Thumbs up Smart idea !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refused Autopsy View Post
Have you considered putting down a layer or Arm and Hammer super scoop with shredded newspaper over the top? It would seem to be a compromise for now until she realizes how much she likes digging...lol!!!

Good luck, hang in there, this too shall pass. It is so frustrating, I know. Years ago I had a shelter foster that liked to use my kitchen table..dead center. Think she was trying to tell me something??!!! LOL!!!

She later was labeled "only cat please or else"....ha!!!
That's exactly what my vet suggested when my girls were just spayed, that's to prevent the litter to stick on their stitches.

Unread 07-09-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene Jims View Post
That's exactly what my vet suggested when my girls were just spayed, that's to prevent the litter to stick on their stitches.
After the spaying, the vet recommended us to put only shredded newspaper in the litty boxes

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)

Tags
advice , age , box , business , care , carpet , cat , cat lovers , cats , changed , clean , cleaning , crazy , foster , found , great , hey , kitten , kittens , litter , litter box , litter boxes , loss , love , mat , morning , moving , night , nose , opinion , pee , peeing , poop , problem , sale , shelter , sick , small , smart , spayed , stitches , upset , urine , uti , vet

Sponsored Cat Links