It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-24-2009   #1 (permalink)
Kat<3

Unhappy behavior change

Salem is a sweet, loving cat. We allow him to go outside because he sprays the house. He has been fine with it for years, but just tonight... He has changed from this morning. He is slightly more agressive, though he has only growled. I don't know what brought on this sudden change. My sister thinks it's rabies... could this be true?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-24-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

Early Signs of Rabies in Cats

The rabies symptoms in cats are essentially similar to those seen in dogs. All the three typical manifestations i.e prodormal, furious and dumb forms are exhibited by the affected animals. The incubation period varies from 2-12 weeks and may be occassionally prolonged up to 4 years.

The early signs of rabies in cat include-

* Roaring loudly and biting all the objects inside home.
* Violent movements including dashing anything on the way resulting in self inflicting injuries.
* Conjuctivitis and partial protrusion of tongue.
* Incordinated movements due to leg weakness.
* Unable to move even after prodding and was swaying the hind quarters.

These cats will die within 3-4 days of showing clinical signs. Generally, furious form followed by dumb form prior to death of a cat.
Unread 07-24-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat<3 View Post
Salem is a sweet, loving cat. We allow him to go outside because he sprays the house. He has been fine with it for years, but just tonight... He has changed from this morning. He is slightly more agressive, though he has only growled. I don't know what brought on this sudden change. My sister thinks it's rabies... could this be true?
Hello and welcome to the forum! I am sorry you are having this problem with Salem. If you could give us a little more information.

Is he neutered?

Has he been vaccinated against rabies?

Has he been to the vet to see if he has a urinary tract disorder that might cause the inappropriate peeing?

Usually a change in behavior can indicate some kind of health problem so I recommend you get him seen by your vet as soon as you can.

The growling could be because he is in pain.

Please let us know what happens with Salem.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-25-2009   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

lovemeow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
awww I am sorry to hear that he changed his behavior. Acerlt is right about getting him checked out by a vet asap. Since he is an outdoor cat, he esp. needs to receive all the shots necessary to help prevent all the infections and diseases from the outdoors. Pls keep us posted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my blog dedicated to our furry buddies
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~|
|~
Unread 07-25-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Hi ! Welcome to you and Salem !

Hope he's seen a vet by now ... All my cats have rabies shots. Hope he too had one. Please consider Acer's advice.

Unread 07-26-2009   #6 (permalink)
Kat<3

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
Hello and welcome to the forum! I am sorry you are having this problem with Salem. If you could give us a little more information.

Is he neutered?

Has he been vaccinated against rabies?

Has he been to the vet to see if he has a urinary tract disorder that might cause the inappropriate peeing?

Usually a change in behavior can indicate some kind of health problem so I recommend you get him seen by your vet as soon as you can.

The growling could be because he is in pain.

Please let us know what happens with Salem.

yes he is a neutered, My father says he has been vaccinated (although is was a long time ago I don't know how long though) Yes we have taken him to the vet but they say he is fine 9 no urinary tract infection. I would take him to the vet, but my father doesn't want to spend the money

Unread 07-26-2009   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

lovemeow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
yes he is a neutered, My father says he has been vaccinated (although is was a long time ago I don't know how long though) Yes we have taken him to the vet but they say he is fine 9 no urinary tract infection. I would take him to the vet, but my father doesn't want to spend the money
i hope your father can change his mind soon.

If money is an issue you can try one of those low-cost vaccination clinics (if you are in the US). http://www.luvmypet.com/ has a clinic finder where you can find one that is in your area. Hope this helps.

- my blog dedicated to our furry buddies

~|
|~
Unread 08-01-2009   #8 (permalink)
Kat<3

Default Good news

Salem is all better. He is back to his sweet loveable self again. I suppose he was just scared. Thank you all for your wonderful advice! I am sorry that I am not online alot... so I apoligize

Unread 08-01-2009   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

PantherPride is on a distinguished road

Rabies is a serious Zootonic disease( it can jump from cats to HUMANs!!!) Pretty much all sates require by law a cat to be vaccinated for Rabies.

please get it done if you haven't already done so..
Unread 08-01-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up You're a great mom to Salem !!

Quote:
Salem is all better. He is back to his sweet loveable self again. I suppose he was just scared. Thank you all for your wonderful advice! I am sorry that I am not online alot... so I apoligize
That's real good news !! Thanks for the update.
I believe under your patient care, Salem will be fine...
So do you have any picture to show the world how sweet and lovable Salem is ? We're all picture addict here.

Tags
advice , agressive , animal , behavior , bite , biting , cat , cats , changed , dog , dogs , eyes , found , great , growling , health , hey , home , house , infection , licking , loving , money , morning , outdoor , peeing , picture , problem , rabies , rare , scared , stray , vet

Sponsored Cat Links