It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-26-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Storm is on a distinguished road
Question Cat aggression

Hi,

I have had my cat for five months. During the first three months, he was very playful and friendly. Now he has become very aggressive. When I get close, he growls and hisses. He has scratched me several times. Yesterday, I tried to pet him and he bit me. He is the only cat that does this. I have two other cats and they are not aggressive.

Storm
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-26-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hold old is he, Storm? Is he neutered?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-26-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Rats. I was hoping you'd hang around long enough to answer. Well, if he's not neutered, that's probably the problem and should be done as soon as possible.

Otherwise I have this to offer:

A sudden change in behavior like this may indicate a health problem.

Cats are Masters at hiding illness and pain, but the behavior you describe, hissing, scratching and biting when you try to touch him, does sound like he might be in pain.

It's possible he has hurt himself somehow and does not want to be touched. A vet check up might be the way to go now.

I have some other questions:

Is he peeing and pooping normally?

Is his appetite normal? Your cats stay inside, right?

Have there been any changes in your household. Any change, no matter how small can cause stress and cause a behavior change.

Is he aggressive to the other cats or just you?

There is another issue that could be going on called: Displaced Aggression. This happens when a cat sees something that upsets him, usually through the window (looking outside). He can't get to the thing that's bothering (strange cat or other animal) but it upsets him so much he becomes aggressive to everything around him.

In this sort of case, adding some feliway plug in diffusers to your home, and putting some rescue remedy in his water, food, or rubbing it on his little face may help settle things down.

But I do recommend a trip to the vet first thing to rule out or treat illness and pain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 07-26-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm View Post
Hi,

I have had my cat for five months. During the first three months, he was very playful and friendly. Now he has become very aggressive. When I get close, he growls and hisses. He has scratched me several times. Yesterday, I tried to pet him and he bit me. He is the only cat that does this. I have two other cats and they are not aggressive.

Storm
Hi Diana ! Welcome back ! I'm Irene !

I saw your profile, your kitties are all fabulous. But you have 4 ? (Tigger, Boo, Oreo & Zynx)
Which one of them has become aggressive ? Acer is right, yes, how old is he ? Neutered already ?
There are some reasons why a cat becomes aggressive (towards other kitties or towards human).
When it's still not clear, Acer used to introduce people with anxious kitty to use Felliway Plugs in and Rescue Remedy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 07-26-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Hehehe ! I just found out you're already here with the Felliway & Rescue Remedy ! Funny, Acer ! Coz I was thinking about you. Thanks for the detailed answers. Hope she will take the kitty to the vet to rule out any possible sickness.

Unread 07-26-2009   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
Hold old is he, Storm? Is he neutered?
He is 13 months old and he has been neutered since 3 months.
Unread 07-26-2009   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene Jims View Post
Hi Diana ! Welcome back ! I'm Irene !

I saw your profile, your kitties are all fabulous. But you have 4 ? (Tigger, Boo, Oreo & Zynx)
Which one of them has become aggressive ? Acer is right, yes, how old is he ? Neutered already ?
There are some reasons why a cat becomes aggressive (towards other kitties or towards human).
When it's still not clear, Acer used to introduce people with anxious kitty to use Felliway Plugs in and Rescue Remedy.
Jynx is the cat who became aggressive.
Unread 07-27-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm View Post
Jynx is the cat who became aggressive.
And I suppose he's NOT declawed ? Did you take him to the vet for general check up annually (with blood work..) so to rule out physical illness... ?

Unread 07-28-2009   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

PantherPride is on a distinguished road

De clawing will make aggression problems worse not better. At 5 months if the cat is aggressive I look into a few questions

How old was cat when seperated from mom?. Did Litter mates, mom or dad have aggression problems? Was the kitten maltreated before you got him.

Was he the most aggressive of the litter? If he is he I would assume the best thing to do would be to give him to a barn to be used as a mouser, sense he's neutered no more kittens will be born and a lot of people cant handle feline social puberty at 2, 4, 3 years much less at 5 months.

Last edited by PantherPride; 07-28-2009 at 09:04 AM.
Unread 07-28-2009   #10 (permalink)
Newborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherPride View Post
De clawing will make aggression problems worse not better. At 5 months if the cat is aggressive I look into a few questions

How old was cat when seperated from mom?. Did Litter mates, mom or dad have aggression problems? Was the kitten maltreated before you got him.

Was he the most aggressive of the litter? If he is he I would assume the best thing to do would be to give him to a barn to be used as a mouser, sense he's neutered no more kittens will be born and a lot of people cant handle feline social puberty at 2, 4, 3 years much less at 5 months.
He is 13 months, not weeks. I don't know anything about his early life except that he lived in a shelter. He is not declawed. None of my cats are and will not be unless I adopt one that has had that been mutilated by a previous owner.

Tags
aggression , aggressive , animal , behavior , biting , cat , cats , clawing , environment , food , found , friendly , fun , funny , growls , health , hey , hiding , hissing , home , hurt , kitten , kittens , kitties , kitty , litter , mat , peeing , pet , problem , problems , profile , rescue , scratching , shelter , sick , sickness , small , social , stress , vet , water , window

Sponsored Cat Links