It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-27-2009   #1 (permalink)
sue1966

Default Help needed - URGENTLY !!

If anyone can help me with this problem it would be much appreciated.

My cat keeps going into one of my neighbours flats. As far as I am aware he is not fouling or spraying in there.

My cat is deaf and we only let him out at certain times of the day when we know there is not a lot of traffic about. He goes to the same places every day and a few of the people on our estate are quite happy for him to go and see them, they say he usually comes in, has a cuddle then leaves.

Last night he went into my neighbours property and as it was starting to get dark my partner was outside looking for him to bring him home. As my partner went outside he saw our cat come flying out of my neighbours door with my neighbour behind him, he told my partner that if he ever came into his property again he would stab it.

We can find lots of products that stop cats fouling on plants and property but we were wondering if anyone knew of anything we could buy that would detere cats from going in houses.

Many thanks

Sue x

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-28-2009   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

PantherPride is on a distinguished road

First off the cat should be indoors, indoors is MUCH safer especially with a cat that has any kind of handicap. Be it deafness, de clawed, ect,ect.

You cannot control your neighbors behavior the laws protecting cats and other animals are weaker then theft. Unless you want to spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars building a cat fenced yard. please make him indoor.

I hope he is neutered, all intact males spray and a blind tom isn't going to live very long
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-28-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Busy
mj29 is on a distinguished road

This cat should not be allowed to go outside unless you can train him to go out with a harness and leash which you would be with him as well. The neighbour has now made a threat to his safety and I wouldn't assume he is just saying that. My neighbours next to me let their declawed cat outside all the time and we've told her that she is very cruel for doing this as the poor thing couldnt defend itself at all. We are in close proximity to a wooded area that has coyotes in it and I fear for the poor thing. They also have another cat that they let out who is not fixed and last winter in the coldest months would kick it outside and the poor thing was always huddled up against their door to be let in but they wouldn't. When we approach these animals they take off and hide.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

M.J. Zipper Darby and Liam
A Cat's eyes are windows enabling us to see into another world. Irish legend

A cat has absolute emotional honesty. Human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings, but a cat does not. Ernest Hemingway

There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

R.I.P. sisters Sasha and Jasmine, Lucky, Mr.Sim, my sweet boy Oscar!
Unread 07-28-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Angry Too cruel !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj29 View Post
This cat should not be allowed to go outside unless you can train him to go out with a harness and leash which you would be with him as well. The neighbour has now made a threat to his safety and I wouldn't assume he is just saying that. My neighbours next to me let their declawed cat outside all the time and we've told her that she is very cruel for doing this as the poor thing couldnt defend itself at all. We are in close proximity to a wooded area that has coyotes in it and I fear for the poor thing. They also have another cat that they let out who is not fixed and last winter in the coldest months would kick it outside and the poor thing was always huddled up against their door to be let in but they wouldn't. When we approach these animals they take off and hide.
Poor thing... that's really heart breaking !! Why did they adopt the cats in the first place only to treat them like that !!

Unread 07-30-2009   #5 (permalink)
sue1966

We have had the cat since he was 8 weeks old, obviously we didnt let him out when he was a kitten but as he got older he used to get out when all our other cats went out.

I have spoken to the RSPCA and they have assured me that all his other senses will kick in and compensate for him not being able to hear. The RSPCA have been to see him, and as far as they are concerned he is fit and well and his deafness should not be held against him. He doesnt go outside until after 9am when everyone on our estate has left for work so there are less cars about.

If you read me original message you will see I was asking for advice on how to detere cats from going in peoples houses, I didnt ask for a telling off about what I do and dont do with my cat !

Unread 07-30-2009   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Chatty
zhazie meow is on a distinguished road

there is accutlly a plug in that has a pulse that scares cats away but dont think it will workin this case house cat all the way am afraid. because he is deaf the normal means will not work ...sorry

<--my tribute to my kittys! proud momma to Mizu,pandora,jazzmine,suki,stich and elliot

one day cats will rule the world...its best to get in their good books now!

Rainbowbridge: teska And lennon , miss you everyday bubba's xx
Unread 07-30-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue1966 View Post
If you read me original message you will see I was asking for advice on how to detere cats from going in peoples houses, I didnt ask for a telling off about what I do and dont do with my cat !
People are very passionate about what they believe in here, so sometimes things come off sounding rude, when it is not meant that way. I'm sure everyone who replied to your thread had your cat's best interests at heart.

Please try to realize that when you post in a public board you are going to get all kinds of responses. Take what you can use and disregard the rest.

They did give you advice. Keep him inside and harness train him and take him out for supervised outings.

That is my advice also.

That is certainly better for him than being kicked by your xxxxxxx neighbor. (mods, I used x's in the first place to save you the work )

Unread 07-30-2009   #8 (permalink)
sue1966

I must say sorry for my little rant earlier.

I have 7 other cats that all come and go through out the day and the deaf one gets very distressed if I dont let him out. Most mornings at about 9am he starts scratching at the window to go out. There are a few people around here that look out for him and he has a routine of where he goes. I can understand peoples concerns but I live on a fairly quiet estate for cars and not on a main road. The problem we have is there are about 7 households here that really dislike cats, I think it is just my cats because other neighbours have a few and they dont have any trouble at all. They have tried alsorts to make us get rid of them, we have had a few visits from the RSPCA because people think because we have more then the "normal" 1 or 2 we cant look after them. When we moved here 2 years ago we had 13 and we had so much trouble we had to get rid of 6 of them, its was the hardest thing I have ever had to do, it was like asking me to choose 6 children to give away. All of my cats have been neuted and spayed, dewormed and deflead. They are the most pampered and loved cats I know.

Unread 07-30-2009   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

PantherPride is on a distinguished road

As long as you have some way of confining cats so they don't get hit by cars,ect,ect I have no problem letting cats out. I would seriously look into some do it yourself fencing and remodeling.

Tags
advice , another cat , behavior , cat , cat's , cats , children , fixed , happy , hey , home , house , kitten , night , problem , save , scratching , spayed , stop , window

Sponsored Cat Links