It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-28-2009   #1 (permalink)
Bocata

Default Home Remedies or Human Meds for URI??

I have two kittens that I adopted from a cat shelter. One of the kittens had an upper respiratory infection but my kids wanted us to take her anyway...we did. I was sent home with enough clavamox for two weeks and did not miss a dose. She was so ill in the beginning I had to hand feed her with a dropper for almost a week. She improved, although never completely lost the runny nose/sneezing. She did start eating well and played hard. The URI flared up again so I brought her to the vet and went home with another bottle of Clavamox which she took for another two weeks. she has been off the meds for about three weeks and is again flaring up.

If I bring to the vet once more, I will have my third bottle of clavamox and end up in the same place I am now. Does anyone have suggestions other then more CLavamox? Are their any other remedies, home remedies or human meds that my kittens can take. I have saline drops for comfort, but it isnt enough. I am frustrated and do not know what to do?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-28-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome, and thank you for adopting from a shelter!

Have these kittens been tested for Feline Leukemia and Feline Aids? (FeLV/FIV)

If you don't know what these diseases are, I will give you more detail. All I will say for now is they are very serious fatal diseases. Cats can live a few years with them sometimes, if you are willing to do the work involved, but it does take a lot of work and expense.

If they have not been tested this needs to be done right away. Repeat URI's indicate there is something else wrong, the immune system is compromised. (There is another fatal illness that affects kittens called FIP. But there is no easy test for that, and I don't even want to think about it now.)

If the FelV/FIV test is negative, the next thing to consider would be the herpes virus. The herpes virus is also not curable, but it is not fatal, it can be controlled quite well with a supplement called l-lysine. The cat will have to take it forever. Herpes can be tested for with a simple swab test.

If FeLV/FIV and herpes are ruled out, a culture should be done with some of the nasal discharges to determine the best antibiotic. If it is "just" a bacterial infection, it obviously is resistant to clavamox and a stronger antibiotic may be necessary.

I have one more suggestion. A second opinion, seeing another vet, might be a good idea.

Please do let us know what happens. What are the kitten's names?

Last edited by acerlt; 07-28-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-28-2009   #3 (permalink)
Bocata

Thank you so much for your response. The kittens names are Roquefort and L'eveque (after two of my favorite French cheeses). These kittens were found at 3 to 4 weeks in the wild. I adopted them at 6 to 7 weeks from a shelter in Krum, Texas. L'eveque has this runny, sticky mucus (really gross when she sneezes) but in every other way she is a very active, entertaining, purring, cuddly kitten. She loves to sleep on top of me!

I asked both vets (I have seen two) about the other diseases and neither thought they had them. We are pretty sure its Herpes. I have accepted that she has it, but I so badly want to clear up the runny nose. I read somewhere that most cats are exposed to this sometimes in their life. Is that true?

I do have Lysine and supplemented her food before the last bout with the Clavamox but i did not see a difference. I only gave it four days. Does it take longer for a response? Do you think I start that back up?

Thanks again,
Holly

Unread 07-28-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

The l lysine takes a few weeks to help with the herpes virus. So definitely start it up again and give it every day without fail.

I'd give it to both of them if I were you, herpes is contagious, for one thing, and the l-lysine also helps strengthen the immune system.

I have a cat with the herpes virus. Tolly has been on the l-lysine for over 7 years. He hasn't had a full blown out-break that went into secondary infection in years.

The kittens, both of them, really do need to be tested for FeLV/FIV. A vet cannot tell by looking at a cat whether s/he is infected with these diseases. A blood test is required. Even if they were tested at the shelter, I would get them tested again.

Tolly was tested when a kitten, and it was negative, but when the herpes flare ups started I had him tested again.

If they are negative, all is well. If they test positive another test should be given at six months of age, because kittens can carry their mother's antibodies that long. Though it doesn't sound like these babies spent much time nursing with their mama.

Yes it is true that most cats are exposed to the herpes virus, in fact may cats carry the herpes virus. The "distemper" vaccine (usually shows up as "RCCP" on the bill) includes protection against the herpes virus among other upper respiratory illnesses.

In some it never becomes active at all. In others, stress can bring it on, a cat can go years without symptoms, and then some stress will cause an outbreak, and once they come, usually keep coming with out efforts to control it with l-lysine.

The reason antibiotics clear it up at first is because the virus goes into secondary, bacterial, infection. It's common for a herpes flare up to go into secondary infection at first. Antibiotics clear it up, but it comes back because the virus itself is not affected by antibiotics.

Once they've been on the l-lysine for a few years, especially if stress is kept to a minimum, the flare ups will be fewer and less likely to go into secondary infection.

I'm so glad they've been adopted by a loving family who is willing to go the distance with them.

Unread 07-28-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

PS Roquefort and L'eveque are lovely names, but I'm not sure I can pronounce the second one! Could you spell it phonetically for me?

Do you have any pictures?
Unread 07-28-2009   #6 (permalink)
Bocata

Proper French pronunciation for L'eveque is Layveck but we say Luhveck, emphasis on the second syllable. The cheese is actually Pont l'Eveque, but we thought that was a mouthful for a name, no pun intended.

One thing I did not mention before is I have a third cat (named Easel...inherited about two weeks ago from my son after he attacked their dog). He has become 100 times more affectionate since we had him. He still hates dogs!!! He cleans the kittens constantly and thinks he is their mommy!! Sometimes they choose him over us. Our cats are super spoiled...cuddled, kissed, petted, massaged, played with. I put my face in their face all the time and none of them claw, bite or hiss.

I will place the Lysine in their food tonight. Thank you!!! I will get them tested next time I am at the vets as well.

Maybe we can discuss food at some time. You certainly seem to know a lot about cats!!

Unread 07-29-2009   #7 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
che is on a distinguished road

Hi Holly and family welcome. I'm Cheryl.
Please take Acerlts advice, like her username says she is Ace at giving it.

Hope L'eveque improves with the l-lysine. xxxxx
Unread 07-29-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocata View Post
Proper French pronunciation for L'eveque is Layveck but we say Luhveck, emphasis on the second syllable. The cheese is actually Pont l'Eveque, but we thought that was a mouthful for a name, no pun intended.

One thing I did not mention before is I have a third cat (named Easel...inherited about two weeks ago from my son after he attacked their dog). He has become 100 times more affectionate since we had him. He still hates dogs!!! He cleans the kittens constantly and thinks he is their mommy!! Sometimes they choose him over us. Our cats are super spoiled...cuddled, kissed, petted, massaged, played with. I put my face in their face all the time and none of them claw, bite or hiss.

I will place the Lysine in their food tonight. Thank you!!! I will get them tested next time I am at the vets as well.

Maybe we can discuss food at some time. You certainly seem to know a lot about cats!!
Your cat family sounds wonderful!

Is Easel up to date on his vaccinations? How old is he? He can catch the herpes too, but as long as his RCCP vac is current he should be okay. Isn't that nice that he mother's the kittens, he sounds lovely.

But knowing you have him is all the more reason to get the kittens tested, so I am very glad you will.

FIV is only transmitted through deep bite wounds such as occur from fighting, but FeLV (feline leukemia) is spread through body fluids, saliva, litter box, nasal discharges.

My knowledge of cat health and behavior and their care comes from years of specializing in special needs cats, they just seem to find me, starting back in 1982 with my Baby (rb 1/98 ), who had asthma and Sissy (rb 12/97), who had cystitis. (now usually called FLUTD).

I was raised with cats, my mother Rescues.

I've also been participating in on line pet forums for many years so have had exposure to a lot of things I have not yet dealt with myself (diabetes for instance)so my resources and knowledge have been broadened that way too.

There's always more to learn though.

Please keep us posted!
Unread 07-30-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Hi Holly ! I'm truly proud of you for taking in that kitten for your kids, especially from the shelter, despite her health problem. God bless you !!

Sending my kisses to your kids and the two cheezy kittens (Roquefort and L'eveque)from me and my furry babies...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
adopted , advice , affectionate , age , antibiotic , antibiotics , art , babies , baby , bite , box , care , cat , cats , dog , dogs , eating , family , feline aids , fip , fiv , food , found , hey , hiss , home , infection , kittens , lost , loving , nose , opinion , pet , shelter , sleep , stress , suggestions , upper respiratory , vaccine , vet , wild

Sponsored Cat Links