It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-29-2009   #1 (permalink)
SheriLynn

Default My new kitty makes me itch=(

My kitten Oliver is very very very affectionate and seems to hate being my himself.He is constantly on my lap or trying to rub up aganist my face.Which would all be fine but I keep getting really itchy from him and even get little red welts that go away pretty quicky usually get them on my neck.Last nite I took benadryl and this am i took claritin.He doesnt make me sneeze or anything just itchy skin.It's weird.He doesnt have fleas....so idk.Anyone know of any suggestions.I want to be able to love on him without itching lol especially since he is so sweet.=)

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-29-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

I would suggest that you see the doctor. If you are allergic, then you will need to take allergy medicine to control it. So you will be able to cuddle Oliver without being itchy...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-29-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

You could be allergic to the dander in his skin, which by rubbing your face, he is transferring it to your face.
Your best bet is to see an allergy doctor, take allergy meds, and definitely NOT let your kitty rub against your face
Unread 07-29-2009   #4 (permalink)
SheriLynn

i took my perscripition Claritin today & it seemed better. I have been trying to limit the cuddling too. I read ppl seem to get use to their cats dander over time, I hope that is true. =)

Unread 07-29-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

Yes, it definitely sounds like you have mild allergy to Oliver! I also have the same, even when they just sit on my lap.

It's funny but when I had Ben and Tippy for 20 years in total I had no reaction, but with Pixie, Sasha (and Simba), maybe because they have (had) longer hair it's really noticeable. I sometimes get welts, but I also sneeze and my eyes itch when they sit on me (but they don't do it every day by any means ).

I just pop an antihistamine too - I hope I'm not causing myself long term damage, but it does the trick, can't think of anything else!!

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Unread 07-29-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road
Default Also:

...grooming them daily to get rid of the loose hairs also seems to help

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
The Following User Says Thank You to supersmithy For This Useful Post:
Unread 07-29-2009   #7 (permalink)
SheriLynn

Thanks for the advice...he has short hair so just maybe the antihistamines will work =). I hate going to the doctor lol probably bc I'm a nurse & I know what they do =P

Unread 07-29-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheriLynn View Post
i took my perscripition Claritin today & it seemed better. I have been trying to limit the cuddling too. I read ppl seem to get use to their cats dander over time, I hope that is true. =)
It is true, I live it Before I got my cats, I was allergic to cats. I noticed that my allergies then (and now) affect me when I handle long haired cats. My kittens are short haired, and are groomed twice daily, bathed monthly. I find this helps cut down on the dander and the shedding, and my allergies are almost non-existent (only the occasional itchy eyes) Is your kitty long haired, or short?
Unread 07-29-2009   #9 (permalink)
SheriLynn

He is a short haired orange tabby.

I have never bathed a cat but I'm DEF gonna start.Do you wear rubber gloves when you bath them bc I know they hate water.

Unread 07-29-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheriLynn View Post
He is a short haired orange tabby.

I have never bathed a cat but I'm DEF gonna start.Do you wear rubber gloves when you bath them bc I know they hate water.
No, I don't use gloves. I use a faucet/sprayer attachment, on low. Dante hates baths more then anything, he struggles quite a bit. Cami is miss go-with-the-flow, she just sits there like "okay, get it over with!" Scruffing them helps relax a bit, and of course being as gentle as you can does wonders!

Tags
advice , affectionate , allergic , allergy , art , box , cat , cats , clean , cleaning , cut , eyes , fleas , fun , funny , great , grooming , hey , kitten , kitties , kitty , links , love , new kitten , petsmart , poop , scared , scratch , smart , sneeze , suggestions , tabby , wash , water , weird

Sponsored Cat Links