It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-31-2009   #1 (permalink)
DoodleBug

Default Your Review On CatNip

I got my cat some catnip from the store the other day and I wasnt sure if i should give it to Viper. I know cats love to play with it and it makes it so much fun to watch what they do with it, but i was just wondering what your review on Catnip was. Is there any health concerns? Will it harm my kitty?
As you probably know im getting a 6-7 week old kitten soon and i also want to know will that be bad for the baby?
Thanks, Im a little concernd because i read somewhere a while back that catnip can harm your kitty if its shipped to around your area.
Thanks again,
DoodleBug

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-31-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

I've never heard that it can harm cats, but I know young kittens don't react to catnip until they reach a certain age.
Unread 07-31-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

I've never heard that either - but different cats react in different ways to catnip.
I have a catmint (nip) plant in the garden which they both love - but in the house it's different. When I get a new catnip toy the smell seems so strong that it scares them - they only like it when it gets a bit older. And I have a catnip bubble blowing kit which Sasha loves but Pixie hates - who knows what goes on in their little heads

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-31-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Yes, cats do react differently. My kitty doesn't seem to react to catnip at all. I've sprayed the stuff on her toys and given her some catnip toys, but she doesn't seem to care much. She just like toys that are shaped like little mice, balls, toys with feathers and lasers. I am growing a catnip plant now though, but it's still small. It's a slow but exciting project.
Unread 07-31-2009   #5 (permalink)
DoodleBug

thankyou! I wasnt sure cuz im kind of new to using Catnip because I always kinda viewed it as a kitty drug that made them act that way :P
But im just being careful :P i love my babie Viper and i dont want him to get sick or anything.
thank you
DoodleBug

Unread 08-01-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Yeah.. not every cat will react to the 'kitty drug'... especially those stuffed in some toys. I heard that the catnip plant is more 'effective'.

Is it safe ? I guess it is -- as my vet gave my Princess a catnip mouse when she was still a baby... And a cat owner even sprinkled some dried catnip on her cats food.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 08-01-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Here's some info about kittens and catnip:
Kittens are not affected by this plant. If your kitten is genetically predisposed to enjoy it, then she will probably start reacting at about two months old. It may take up to six months for your kitten to start reacting.
Unread 08-01-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Thanks Katrine for the info !

Interesting enough -- only 50 - 70% of them react to catnip. And I think it's still safer to have the leaves inside the toy... Keep an eye on what will happen when Anastasia eats the leaves...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 08-01-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrineA View Post
Yes, cats do react differently. My kitty doesn't seem to react to catnip at all. I've sprayed the stuff on her toys and given her some catnip toys, but she doesn't seem to care much. She just like toys that are shaped like little mice, balls, toys with feathers and lasers. I am growing a catnip plant now though, but it's still small. It's a slow but exciting project.
Growing catnip? Interesting, I should look into that as well
My Cami doesn't react to anything with catnip, and ignores it if I spray/sprinkle anything with it. Dante on the other hand, goes crazy when I spray his scratching post with catnip spray, rubbing himself against it, rolling on it. It's very cute to watch!
Unread 08-01-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

I grow my own. When I take the cats out in their yard they love to sit in the Cat Nip Forts. Sometimes they lick or chew on the stems or leaves.

I harvest it, dry it, and make cat nip toys (from old hiking socks) for my friend's cats.

All cat nip is not created equal, some is better quality that others, etc.

My cats have an almost infinite variety of cat nip, not just the stuff I grow, but gifts from others, plus I buy certain little pillows from Maine Coon Cat Nip every year.

They like to drag a pillow or toy out to play with now and then and rub all over it. Sometimes I put out boxes and sprinkle loose catnip in them for Game time.

I've read that too much exposure nullifies the affects on the cat, but that is not the case here.

Tags
baby , care , cat , cat nip , catnip , cats , crazy , cute , diarrhea , dry , eating , eye , food , fun , game , gifts , health , hey , home , house , interesting , kitten , kitty , love , lucky , maine coon , maine coon cat , mat , mouse , new cat , play , project , question , scratching , sick , small , smell , toys , type , vet

Sponsored Cat Links