It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-31-2009   #1 (permalink)
luvnc

Default Unusual Kitten

I found this adorable and unusual kitten (her ears were turned outward) under my house. My kids immediately fell in love with her. We decided to keep her. When I took her to the vet, she said my cat was an American Curl, and was very rare. I want to have her fixed, but other family members would like a kitten of their own from her. How do I go about finding another cat like her to mate her with, and does it hurt for a cat to have one litter. Also, if she has more cats than I have family members, what can I do with the excess kittens. Are others out there who would want a cat like her?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruby.jpg (92.9 KB, 16 views)

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-31-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

Hi there, welcome You cat is absolutely beautiful, do you know how she came to be under your house, seems strange for a cat like that to be a stray?

I am no expert at all when it comes to breeding - but I SO wouldn't mate her just at the whims of other family members just because they like the look of her - you have to be sure that they are willing to take on the responsibility of cat ownership and all it entails (as I'm sure you know, not meaning to patronise at all).

If you do decide to mate her the best thing is to contact the American Curl cats breeders, there will be plenty online who can give you all the advice you need.

As for any "spare" kittens - why not keep them? A single cat always appreciates company, the more the merrier!

What is her name by the way (and yours?)

Heidi x

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-31-2009   #3 (permalink)
luvnc

Default Ruby

Thanks for the quick response. My name is April and my cat's name is Ruby. I live in the woods and Ruby was quite wild when I found her. She was bug infested and didn't know what to think of humans. I think she may have wandered away from her mother. The area surrounding my house is infested with wild cats. I am not sure if I can handle another cat. Ruby is enough for me. She keeps me on my toes. However, I would keep extra kittens if it came down to it.

Unread 08-01-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Proud of you !

Hi April ! Ruby is really stunning !! And Ruby is a wonderful name too ! Thank you for rescuing her. How blessed you are to have found her. I think she deserves the best quality of life. Please consider if your family members or relatives are able to provide her kittens with a permanent loving home and unconditional love ... it's a matter of life time commitment, coz there are sooo many abandon cases out there with lame excuses, like : we're moving house, we're getting married, having babies, allergy...etc. I believe you are wise enough to make a right decision.

Heidi is right... it's better to keep the rest of the litters with you - so Ruby will have feline playmates too... rather than give her kittens to a stranger !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 08-01-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

That is one beautiful cat! I've never seen a cat with ears like those
As for breeding, I would not breed her simply to please the family's need for kittens! If you do breed her, make arrangements ahead of time for any kittens that your family may not want to keep. This keeps you from having to keep too many cats.
Whatever you decide, please make sure it's the best decision for you! As you said, Ruby is enough for you, so you may want to rethink breeding her (just my .02)
Unread 08-01-2009   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

PantherPride is on a distinguished road

She could could be very well a throwback of some backyard breeder, meaning she shouldn't be bred AT ALL. what kind of breeder would let a breeder female baby loose for a stranger to find under the porch?
Unread 08-01-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Please don't breed your beloved cat. Thank you for rescuing her but she should not be bred just because she is "rare". Rare to be a stray, perhaps, is what your vet meant.

Leave the breeding to the pros and please, get her spayed as soon as she is old enough.

There are millions upon millions of unwanted cats and kittens in this world, thousands are euthanized every day.

For every kitten you deliberately breed, you take a home away from a shelter cat.

I agree with Panther's Pride about back yard breeders, please don't become one.

Tags
adorable , advice , allergy , another cat , baby , beautiful , book , breed , breeder , breeders , breeding , cat , cat's , cats , family , female , fixed , found , hey , home , house , hurt , kitten , kittens , litter , love , loving , mat , moving , ownership , rare , shelter , spayed , stray , too many cats , vet , wild

Sponsored Cat Links