It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-31-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

jewells45 is on a distinguished road
Default Please-my sons cat is dying

Sorry to be so melodramatic, but he really is. My son has an almost 4 year old cat named Mr. Big. They got him when he was about 4 months old. They moved a few times before finally settling into an old building downtown converted into lofts. After about 9 months of living there Mr Big started getting sick. It has been a 2 year battle and he is still a very sick cat, in my belief he is dying. I don't want to make this overly long, but just a short history. They thought at first they were dealing with allergies but this past May, mr Big was at deaths door and my son finally took him to a 4th vet. The vet found a very bad infection in his ear that had gone septic. They treated him with 6 weeks of antibiotics and ear drops. After that he wasn't much better and then the vet said well we may still be dealing with allergies on top of the infection he had. He recommended a homemade food for him and kept him on the steroids. Well Mr Big hates the food, he would not eat and is down to 4 pounds. Back to the vet. Vet says the steroids are making Mr Big act strange (which he is, like suddenly not using the litter box). Says lets just put him back on a natural dry food and let him gain a few pounds, then try and see if we can take him off the steroids. Ok, I guess this is my question. I have always thought that building is what is making him sick. he was fine til they moved there. I have offered to take Mr Big in my home, put him on a healthy dry diet and just take him off the steroids. See if a different environment will help. Am I doing the right thing? My son said he will have to put Mr Big down if he doesn't repond to this latest advice from the vet. he doesn't want the poor thing to be miserable it's entire life. he is willing to let me foster him for awhile.

Any thoughts?? Thanks! Sorry for any typos!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-01-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Hi ! You are really a great mom to your son and to his furry baby - Mr. Big.

I'm not sure what has caused Mr. Big's illness. Cats like and need clean, healthy and safe living environment, that's for sure ! Some contractors I know used poor quality even toxic concrete or other materials on buildings (that can cause cancer or allergy) - which won't be only hazardous to animals, even to human, I'm not sure if it;s the case. But I think you idea to foster him in your house (so as to give him a more healthy environment) sounds wise to me. At least, he needs to start to eat ...

Hope you will be able to give him enjoyable and good quality life. I'll be praying for his well being with you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-01-2009   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

PantherPride is on a distinguished road

4 years old!!! Thats about or shortly after ONLY JUST true adult! Most cats don't mature socially until around 3 or 4.

Something is VERY wrong with that cat!!!! Moving allot isnt good for cats either It probably has to do with housing chemicals.

First after the chemicals are looked into. I would look into Birth defects, diet, and medical history. What kind Of food were they feeding the cat?

Last edited by PantherPride; 08-01-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Unread 08-01-2009   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

Well before he was sick he was just eating a regular dry food, like Purina or something. Since his illness began they have had him on other stuff, gosh I don't remember now, it's been a few different types. This last go round was a homemade formula the vet gave him. Sweet potatoes, beans and bacon. Mr. Big HATES it and won't touch it, hence the even more loss of weight. They have him back on a special formula now and he is eating better now. I just talked to my son. He said he threw up a few times, but it's because he is not used to it. They will just set down a little at a time for him.

I also felt a light bulb go on when toxic materials were mentioned. They painted a special clear sealant on the concrete floor before they moved. It could definately be the culprit. How to find out though?
Unread 08-01-2009   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Purina is Garbage, MOST/not ALL pet food is basically everything and anything humans no longer want or need, 4 d's (Dead,dying diseased disabled) Wheat hualings swept off the floor, cancerous tumors. Even dead dogs and cats are used in some pet foods, under MEAT MEAL or MEAT AND BONE MEAL

Dry is very bad long term, it can cause dental disease among other problems. I highly subjest you do internet research on pet food AND to learn about the long term effects of feeding an all dry diet- If you must do dry try to pick something grain free like Orijen and EVO, but use Dental plus on teeth weekly if you go this route

Sweet potatos and the such have no place in the feline diet.

Canned is probably best in your case, EVO can be a little rich but its worth a try. along with Instincts, Wellness. Ziwi peak and Natures logic are also good.
Unread 08-01-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherPride View Post
Purina is Garbage, MOST/not ALL pet food is basically everything and anything humans no longer want or need, 4 d's (Dead,dying diseased disabled) Wheat hualings swept off the floor, cancerous tumors. Even dead dogs and cats are used in some pet foods, under MEAT MEAL or MEAT AND BONE MEAL
Seriously, I don't know where you get your information, but perhaps you should do a little research.
"The Bone Meal found in pet food comes from grinding the bones of poultry, cattle, fish, lambs, and swine." NOT dogs and cats.
The Following User Says Thank You to CamiDante For This Useful Post:
Unread 08-01-2009   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

Thank you I will check into that. I always heard dry was best, especially for their teeth, but what the heck, we will try anything.\

What about just good ol canned tuna? Maybe a good nutritious dry and 2 or 3 times a week a little tuna?
Unread 08-01-2009   #8 (permalink)
Cool Cat

One of the Biggest myths out there is that dry is good on the teeth. Why?, because cats are Carnivores there teeth are made to crush bone and tear apart animals they kill.

Theres a book written on the subject of pets in pet food, Food Pets die For by Ann N martin. Also go on You tube and watch a disturbing video called What's REALLY in your pets FOOD?

(Some Meat meal IS what you say, yet currently dog/cat meat isn't bared/banned from pet food).

Think of it this way, they've got to do something with the 4 to 3 million cats/dogs put down each year, the cant bury/burn them all because its too expensive, so they often times sell them to renders.

Tuna can give cats a vitamin E deffentacy Also the heavy metals are an issue along with the fact they will not sometimes eat anything else after trying/getting hocked on Tuna..

Note You tube HAS good info, its not all crap.

Last edited by PantherPride; 08-01-2009 at 10:22 PM.
Unread 08-01-2009   #9 (permalink)
Newborn

Okay thanks for the info on the tuna. Never thought of that. I am going to do some research on this building and see if I can find out what materials were used etc. I feel I am racing against the clock and Mr Big will need to be brought out here pretty darn soon. He is eating okay so that's good, but if it's the building, the constant exposure will ensure he just never gets any better. He needs a clean healthy environment and lots of TLC.

I am worried too, about bringing him out may put him under a lot of stress. New home etc. He really doesn't know me that well. But I guess it's a risk I have to take.
Unread 08-01-2009   #10 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Your right be be concerned moving is MAJOR stress on an animal evolved to live in one place all its life. I would use Feliaway plug ins to help him get settled

As for the food I'm not making it up, believe I wish I was but it happens, we had a few cats growing up that died slowly over a 13 14 year period from diet related problems. Cats on GOOD diets "can" live over 30.

Tags
adult , animal , antibiotics , anxiety , apartment , baby , birth , bite , bites , book , box , breed , car , care , cat , cat toys , cat's , cats , clawing , claws , clean , crying , cut , depressed , diet , dog , dogs , dry , dry food , dying , eating , environment , eye , fever , fish , food , foster , free , friends , fur , furniture , great , health , heat , hey , home , infection , internet , legal , lost , mat , medical , meow , meowing , moving , neutering , new home , orijen , pet , pet food , play , poop , problems , scratch , shelter , silly , small , soft paws , spay , steroids , stories , stress , surgery , vaccine , vet , video , vocal , wet food , why?

Sponsored Cat Links