It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Go Back   Cat Forums - I-Love-Cats - your Ultimate Cat Forum > All About Cats > Cat Advice
Register

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-06-2009   #1 (permalink)
yellville

Default Helping my outdoor/indoor cat adjust to being an exclusively indoor cat?

Hi guys,

Now that I'm going back to school, away from my family home, I'll need for my cat Egypt to stay in one room for most of the day. I'll still take her out at least once a day for playtime, but she can't go outside anytime she wants to like she can here. If I do this, she'll probably get lost, and it would also make my neighbors upset.

I have classes and a social life, so when I'm at school I can't let her out and supervise her at any time she wants. It's not like it is at home, where I have a big yard for her to play in, and an entire family to let her outside if I'm not around.

Egypt is a very vocal cat, and when she wants to go outside, she meows loudly and unceasingly.

Egypt used to be perfectly content with staying in one room whenever she was left there. (By the way, we used to live in the same room that we will be going back to when school starts.) I took her outside to play several times a day, but those were at times that *I* chose. Then she went to my family's house a few days before I got there, they let her roam around wherever she wanted, and now she always wants to go outside of my room, and she has no qualms about yowling until she gets her way.

In a perfect world, I would let her have her freedom and let her roam around wherever and whenever she wanted to. For the reasons above, this just isn't possible during the school year. So what can I do to get her to stay in one room without getting upset and yowling? I hope that there is some way to get her adjusted before I get back to school, because I just don't know what I'll do if she annoys the neighbors all day! I'm lucky to have her in my building as it is, and I don't want complaints to lead to her losing her welcome! This would be awful for both of us.

To summarize my post: in one month's time, is there any way that I can train my cat to accept being in one room, like she used to do? Specifically, how can I lessen her yowling when she wants to go outside but can't?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-08-2009   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

PantherPride is on a distinguished road

is this cat De clawed? A de clawed cat should never be allowed outside. I hope she is spayed I would test Egypt for Feline Luk and FIV.

Good luck with making her indoor, though to be kind I would fence her if possible.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-08-2009   #3 (permalink)
yellville

No, she's not declawed, and she has been spayed, tested for everything, and given all vaccinations.

Unread 08-08-2009   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

PantherPride is on a distinguished road

I would if you can construct a cat fence, It has to be atlest 5 feet high to prevent jumping. I think it may be a little late and its sorta cruel to give cat freedom and then to deny it,the reasons are good of course.

Indoor cats are healther

Tags
apartments , cat , cats , family , fiv , hey , home , house , indoor , jumping , lost , lucky , outdoor , play , social , spayed , test , training , upset , vocal , yowling

Sponsored Cat Links