It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-07-2009   #1 (permalink)
Paris_and_Alice

Unhappy HELP 7mo kitten has distended belly

I have had my kitten for 5 days. Her belly is constantly somewhat hard and distended. When I palpate her abdomen she expels gas and seems to need to poop. Her box has had feces in it every day, and she is actively eating and urinating. I am concerned because I have to leave town for a week unexpectedly (in the morning) and my younger, less experienced and less observant, brother will be watching her. Since she is drinking, eating and playing normally I am not sure if I am worried for nothing. Advise please!

Thx,
Laura

--Also, she has not been fixed or had her shots according to the 8 yr old who gave her to me.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-07-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

Hi Laura

Well, I would always recommend that when you get a new kitten you should take them to your vets immediately for a general check up regardless - so I know you are going away but perhaps give them a call and make an appointment, and mention your concerns at the same time. If they suggest it might be a problem could your brother take her while you are away?

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-07-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome!

Your kitten could have parasites, a "belly full of worms", she needs to see the vet to receive a dewormer.

Please do not use anything over the counter. it could kill her or at the very least make her sick.

If she is not spayed, there is also the possibility that she is pregnant. Again, a vet visit is needed. If she is not too far along she can still be spayed.

It's unfortunate that you have to leave just at this time, perhaps your brother can take her to the vet for the initial check up.

Unread 08-07-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Hello Laura ! Welcome to this friendly forum !

How old is your kitten ? I have to agree with Heidi and Acer. Your new kitten needs to be seen by a vet for a check up. And according to Acer, it's also possible that your kitten is having worms in her belly. If this is the case, with the worms eating what she eats, she will become malnourished, no matter how much or how good she eats. So please get her checked by the wet. Of course I won't think that she might be pregnant, if she is a little kitten, that's why I would like to know how old she is.

Please keep us updated !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 08-07-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Hello Laura ! Welcome to this friendly forum ! And thank you for taking in the kitten.

How old is your kitten ? I have to agree with Heidi and Acer. Your new kitten needs to be seen by a vet for a check up. And according to Acer, it's also possible that your kitten is having worms in her belly. If this is the case, with the worms eating what she eats, she will become malnourished, no matter how much or how good she eats. So please get her checked by the wet. Of course I won't think that she might be pregnant, if she is a little kitten, that's why I would like to know how old she is.

Please keep us updated !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 08-07-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Ooops ! Sorry, I just found that you already stated how old she is .. so I think it is also possible for a 7 months old kitten to get pregant. Therefore, it is advisable for you to arrange her spay with the vet too. My kittens were spayed before they're 6 months old.

Unread 08-09-2009   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

PantherPride is on a distinguished road

Less likely then those two subjestions she could just have a belly full of garbage, if her poop is loose and smelly instead of hard and firm,if she is gassy it may just be a poor diet. I would feed something like Wellness, Innova EVO,Instincts,Natures Logic, Ziwi peak.

I would de worm her and upgrade to CANNED only.
Unread 08-10-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene Jims View Post
Ooops ! Sorry, I just found that you already stated how old she is .. so I think it is also possible for a 7 months old kitten to get pregant. Therefore, it is advisable for you to arrange her spay with the vet too. My kittens were spayed before they're 6 months old.
My friend's cat got pregnant at the age of 5 months, so better get her spayed ASAP! I had mine spayed when she was 5 months, she weighed more than enough at the time.
Unread 08-16-2009   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

PantherPride is on a distinguished road

Are the nipples growing?, thats a sign of Pregnancy.

I would do a spay/abort if possible not only in this cat too young physically to safely be a mom (breeders often wait a year before breeding their queens) there are to many kittens in the world already and unless you wanna be an FBI investigator type that willfully interrogates people chances are the kittens will end up tortured( a declaw is the most common means of torture) , abused(many many cats end up hurt by people) , abandoned ( most kittens probably see an animal shelter at least once in their life) , and if they are very very lucky only neglected by well-meaning but miss informed owners in terms of diet,.

Last edited by PantherPride; 08-16-2009 at 09:17 AM.

Tags
age , animal , belly , box , breeders , breeding , cat , cats , diet , eating , fixed , found , friendly , hey , hurt , kitten , kittens , lucky , mat , morning , new kitten , playing , poop , pregant , pregnancy , pregnant , problem , shelter , sick , spay , spayed , type , vet

Sponsored Cat Links